ASP Signature help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfecttennails

Reaction score
Hello everybody I'm desperate to someone's help regarding a problem I have!!
I have only recently qualified to be nail technician. Following the birth of my daughter, I decided that I wanted to be an nail technician and work for myself. I know I am going to earn myself some eyerolls by saying this but being a stay at home mum down in the south away from everything, courses and options for them weren't great for me. So I ended up doing the 3 day nail course with Sallys salon services. I have to be honest and say that I have had no problems with the course whatsoever? The trainer who taught us was very thorough and taught us a lot of extra things that weren't in the course layout.
I knew that I wanted to be able to offer extensions and gel colour, so I asked the trainer for some advice regarding the best gel colour to use. She works through ASP and therefore recommended the Signature nail polishes, as they are fourth generation and were the best. I feel that because I was inexperienced I maybe took her advice too quickly. I purchased myself the starter kit at salon services for £150 which included around 15 colours and came with the LED lamp. Don't get me wrong, the polish goes on really well and I have no problem with shrinking or loss of colour. My problems are that...
A) They are only available in Sallys and they have hardly any colours to choose from. I know you can mix them but I'm not really that confident in my abilities to start mixing colours for clients yet.
B) They are absolute nightmare to get off nails; both natural and fake.
Fortunately, as I have only recently started out the only people I've had to take the colour off of have been my own nails, which have Gel extensions on and my sisters nails which are her own. I put the colour directly onto her nails using the proper bonder and prep and base-coat, however despite soaking them in the soak off solution for a good half an hour nearly, they still were a nightmare to come off and I ended up having to file them which is obviously not great for a natural nail 😖
I feel a bit downtrodden with it to be honest as I'm so worried about having to go to all my other clients I've put colour on as I don't seem to be able to get damn stuff off. I have considered changing the product I'm using to Gelish as I know that this has got a good name for itself and a huge range, but obviously I have £150 worth of product here that I cannot afford to just throw away as I'm already in debt from doing the course!!
So I am desperately looking for any advice from somebody who uses ASP Signature as to how to get stuff off easier?
Being a total newbie, I did feel completely up with my wits end with it and feel like I jumped with both feet :( it gets to the stage where I feel like jacking it in would be the easier option but I love being my own boss and having my own business :(
Please help me someone

Kim xx

Last edited:
I used to use Cuccio veneer led polish which is the same product as asp in different packaging & colour names, they have a lot more colours available in the veneer and you will be able to use them with asp. As for removal are you removing the shine (top coat) completely? If not then it will resist removal. X

Hi thanks for replying.

Yes I file the top layer off and the cotton buds with the soak off solution wrapped in tinfoil. Takes forever to shift x

As they take so long to budge, the removal product will be evaporating which won't help. Have you tried unwrapping individual nails halfway through, scraping off anything that will move then applying more remover and re-wrapping? Also try a hot water bottle under towel and rest the hands on it so the heat helps too?
Have you spoken to your trainer about this?

Don't give up hope though. I know how you feel as I've had/still have ups and downs with products, my techniques etc... But don't give up

Xx

Thank you for your help, I have messaged my trainer and am waiting to hear from her. Yes, I have done the scrape and recover and it's slow work. It's just in terms of times for my clients. Don't want to waste an hour soaking off!! Think I may have to rebrand to Gelish. Although, I am interested in the cuccio; where do you buy it from?
I have heard through the grapevine that icon is also rebranded ASP, but I would like something a little more widely available xx

Thank you for your help, I have messaged my trainer and am waiting to hear from her. Yes, I have done the scrape and recover and it's slow work. It's just in terms of times for my clients. Don't want to waste an hour soaking off!! Think I may have to rebrand to Gelish. Although, I am interested in the cuccio; where do you buy it from?
I have heard through the grapevine that icon is also rebranded ASP, but I would like something a little more widely available xx

Cuccio is available from the nail company and cuccio Europe (uk distributor). Icon, asp, & cuccio are all manufactured by star nail international - the gel polishes are good & last, it used to take myself approx 15 mins to remove the product with their removal tool, but I found if I'd not removed all the top coat then it didn't budge. Just have a practice with it to get the hang of removal x

Thanks Hun.

I spoke with my trainer and she recommended getting a manicure soak off bath. It is where you put warm water underneath and then in top when the fingers go either acetone or soak ofF solution.The heat helps the product to lift quicker and is a lot easier than messing around with bits of cotton wool and foils. Am just searching around for some now but hoping this will help me :) x

I have been using veneer for a year and have converted lots of clients from the other leading brands so don't give up. There range is good. You must buff the top off properly . I had same issues at 1st. You need a 180 file. Buff gently until you take off all the top coat. You will get you know how much to buff with experience. Too much and you will buff to natural nail . It's practice that's all. Some say it's annoying and too time consuming as other brands don't need buffing but for I think it's worth it. It doesn't scratch , crack and always keeps it's high shine finish. I have heated mitts which I use on low for 5 min. This helps loads. Make sure you use two THIN costs of polish. If it's too thick you have more to take off = more time. It's all about practice x

Latest posts

Back