Aspiring nail tech needs advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladyblue

Reaction score
I'm after a complete career change and want to train as a nail tech as I've always loved doing nails & having mine done! I need to know what is the best and most comprehensive course in the Merseyside area? I've found a course in Liverpool run by "The Nail & Beauty School" which looks good & is an amazing price, they run courses all over UK. I spoke to them & they were very helpful but I can't find much about them on google. Has anyone trained with them & would they recommend them or not? Or recommend any other courses? Cheers for your help I really want to get this right!

Morning :) what system are you planning on working with? You are best to go direct to them to do your training as each system is different... Eg if you want to use gelish and the partnering hard gel and acrylic, get in contact with nail harmony and speak to them about training in your area :) xx

I'm after a complete career change and want to train as a nail tech as I've always loved doing nails & having mine done! I need to know what is the best and most comprehensive course in the Merseyside area? I've found a course in Liverpool run by "The Nail & Beauty School" which looks good & is an amazing price, they run courses all over UK. I spoke to them & they were very helpful but I can't find much about them on google. Has anyone trained with them & would they recommend them or not? Or recommend any other courses? Cheers for your help I really want to get this right!

Hi, make sure any course u do is accredited with a proper company like babtac or vtct etc. also a lot of these "short courses" are a waste of time, I've been on a few refreshers and things like that and actually felt I've taken nothing away and the standard of work done by others on the course I would never have passed as good enough to be a qualified therapist/technician. My advice would to be to do a proper NVQ level 2 in beauty (or just manicure if it's only nails u want to do) because then you properly learn all the anatomy and physiology, health & safety etc etc and then go with a reputable company such as CND, or LCN. even if u have to travel! it's worth it. be the best that u can be ☺️x

I would suggest you look just a tad further afield and attend the CND Creative Complete course in Leigh (manchester direction) with the Creative Academy there.

They also have a store where you can visit anytime and meet the team and get to see the school etc. They would welcome you and Julia Moran (who is a geek here on the site ) is the owner. You will love it there and you will have the best money has to offer with them.

Good Luck

Hi Ladyblue, (and thank you Geeg)

Here is a great read from a past student here at the Creative Academy in Leigh, i hope it is of some help to you.

How To Start A Nail Business - Train As A Nail Technician | Nail Salon Creative Academy Manchester

Victoria also wrote a diary of her CND Complete course which you also may find helpful as you research.

My Complete CND Course - By Victoria « Creative Academy Manchester Creative Academy Manchester

Wishing you lots of luck entering our industry, i have loved every minute of my 25+years! We are here to help with anything if you would like to pop by or chat, ask away :)

I did the Shellac brings them back course with Kelly, Leeds CND. It was far superior to the course I had taken elsewhere. Kelly was brilliant! She even gave us her email address, in case we had any questions following the course. I intend to do other CND courses as finances allow. Well worth the investment.:)

Thanks so much everyone for being so helpful, I'm completely new to this & it's great to know there's so much support out there! I'll definitely look into CND as that sounds like the one everyone's recommending. If anyone's trained with Nail & Beauty School I'd be really interested to know what they're like though as their course seems like good value for money, cheers for all your help x

Hi Ladyblue, (and thank you Geeg)

Here is a great read from a past student here at the Creative Academy in Leigh, i hope it is of some help to you.

How To Start A Nail Business - Train As A Nail Technician | Nail Salon Creative Academy Manchester

Victoria also wrote a diary of her CND Complete course which you also may find helpful as you research.

My Complete CND Course - By Victoria « Creative Academy Manchester Creative Academy Manchester

Wishing you lots of luck entering our industry, i have loved every minute of my 25+years! We are here to help with anything if you would like to pop by or chat, ask away :)

Hi Julia,

Is Manchester the only place where you can do the full CND nail course, or do the other educaters around the country do the same course?

Many Thanks, Rose

Is Manchester the only place where you can do the full CND nail course, or do the other educaters around the country do the same course?
There are CND trainers around the country who will offer the full course. For more details have a look on www.sweetsquared.com

I'm doing a CND course beginning of oct. just passed the theory and cannot wait to start painting!

I was in your exact position last year. I'd moved to Gloucestershire and would have found it hard reviving my career in Merchant Banking in the area. I discovered CND Shellac purely by chance (in the Virgin pre flight lounge of all places)!

I found my local EA and did the Shellac beginners course ...... Which lead to doing the spa manicure and the spa pedicure. Next week I do Art and Style followed by Perfect Polishing and L&P next February.

It's a slippery slope but I love my new job and I meet such interesting people.

I'd also recommend you looking into a Gel II as its another great product. The suppliers are still finding their feet and trying to book onto some courses is a labour of love but it's such a lovely gel to work with.

Booking with Sweet Squared is easy as pie. They're efficient and very helpful. Good luck x

Hi Julia,

Many Thanks, Rose

Hi Rose, yes Sweetsquared.com Tel: 08452106060 offer CND training countrywide.

I did the CND course at Creative Academy Leigh and as a complete beginner, i came out not only feeling confident in the practical element but also in the theory such as contra-indications, business, health & safety etc etc.
CND, Creative Academy and EA's are very committed in making all students the best they can be, they don't just 'sell the product', they teach you valuable lessons, such as the basics on how to hold a file correctly, best colours for different skin tones, the best way to polish etc....they also offer ongoing support - you dont lose contact, instead you are placed into a community who can answer your questions.
You then have the option of doing other add on courses, which i personally think are reasonably priced.
It's additive but its great. The girls at the Academy are fab, they make you feel welcome and at ease.
Im really glad I chose them!

I'm a CND'er too! Best decision ever!!! Like you I wanted a career change and always had an interest in nails. I done my shellac beginners in July and since then I've done my spa mani, additives, perfect polishing & L&P - It's a slow process starting your own business and client base from scratch, I've been actively working as a nail tech for about 6 weeks now but I feel it's going well and am already making more than what I was earning on maternity pay - I'm positive the fact my products sell themselves because CND is such a well respected brand plays a huge factor in this so definitely consider going with CND, they are more expensive but there's a good reason why and it pays for itself in the long term :) good luck xx

Latest posts

Back