Astonishing Nails - anyone tried ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liliya is Ukrainian - so I guess they got accidentally left off your list :) She's very talented, but if you read the Russian or Ukrainian magazines or see their forums you can get the impression that everyone has similar skills.

That simply isn't true. They do have more exceptional nail artists that some countries - but in all fairness they don't seem to win the World Championship in salon nails more. What I would say is that the average is higher and they do have more 'stars'. Also without causing offense - there are some very educated people working in nails in east Europe (degrees are not unusual and I know several medical doctors).

I am not sure if the UK is behind or in front. Certainly it is different from many European countries and perhaps more similar to the US. There's a very high number of non-standard salons, and the education is shorter than some countries. But one has to bear in mind the UK was an early adopter of nails - even if it never really got the real nail art thing (many other countries didn't either) but on the other hand I don't see any real innovation either.

As more countries struggle with either non-standard salons, part-timers who work from home and may not pay tax, or people buying product from the local market (yes, it's common in some countries) - I wonder if the UK is ahead of us and that could be the future.

Perhaps this is really all detail and not important. For nail techs to earn good money more have to act and work professionally, and work as a business; invest in themselves, be the best they can, offer unique or different services and provide great customer service. Too many techs think 2 hours of chat is good service because it makes them feel rosy about themselves - that is not customer service! In fact it's not professional to get too close to clients - would you say half what you hear to your dentist?

I do think too many girls train as nail techs because a) they have limited qualifications, b) it's creative and seems fun (being in the business panders to their ego's) and c) it's a low-entry cost career. But I think that's true in many countries and to some extent manufacturers/schools are too blame for dishing out diploma's to people who are not ready (what's the point of a diploma if a girl can't convince a client they make a good service?). But also experienced nail tech who are quite happy to sit on their bums and never improve to a higher level - if more did this the professional status might improve.

I hear where you are coming from, but I just want you to understand that the situation is more complex. BTW - I had a look in your gallery and can see you are a nail art fan. That's all well and good, but I wish more techs perfected their standard shapes and actually chose the shape for a customer with certail nail beds etc. rather than plonking the same old, same old style because it's what they know. I also wish more techs understood nail bed extensions!

OK - I have a nail show to go to tomorrow so I will end now. Hope I have managed to provoke some more thoughts! :hug:

Bob xx

P.S. I love great nail art! We were setting up at the show today and met a lot of nail artist friends - it's wonderful to see their innovation and fantastic nails! But - these guys make shape and form, and can do terrific french too! Frankly, I hate canes, transfers etc - what I want to see is art on a nail. Someones idea from start to end, and great technique.

Last edited:
I was just curious how you quantified your statement as it seemed like you were trying to try to give one brand credibility by trying to belittle another...

dont understand why some people put new products (well new to UK by the way) down without even trying?! I ensure u that in some countries they hardly know CND- and nail market is far far more advanced than UK's

I have worked in many countries all over the world and know at least those countries I have been to know CND VERY well ;) I have spent time in Russia, where one of the largest nail schools is a CND school I have also worked a lot with several Latvian nail professionals and championship winners. In all of those countries and all of those years, I have yet to hear of Astonishing nails, nor do I recall it ever being mentioned on this site.

That isn't to say that is a negative or that I have heard of every brand out there - its just to say that I hadn't ever heard of the line until I was sent the flyers from The Beauty Factory a few weeks ago (looking for distributors). As far as I was aware, they didn't have R&D facilities (they were EU Importers for Aii lines) so I am going to hazard a guess that its another Keystone line. Thats fine too, as they make the majority of the nail systems out there - but it is also the reason why many will likely wait to see how it does before risking a change from a brand that has decades of proven performance versus something brand new from The Beauty Factory.

PS - I'm also not big on how you say that the UK isn't advanced? What the hell does that mean and by whose standards? The UK is one of the worlds largest nail markets. Unless of course, by advanced you mean Massive into nail art. Meh.

Anyhoo, best of luck :)

I've been around for a little while and had never heard of AN and their 25 years of research. I have trained in UK, Poland, USA and Ireland. I am very familiar with sticker factories who re-label products and I have been offered products from said company in Eindhoven, I have been offered (from other companies) re-labelled gel, l&p and mani/pedi lines - there is nothing wrong with me launching RedAdmirals brand tomorrow morning but lets call a spade a spade - nothing beats years of Research and Developement, nothing beats years of building a brand, building a strong team of Educators.

As Bob said 'I hear where you are coming from, but I just want you to understand that the situation is more complex'

I prefer to understand what I am working with, why I am using the product and know that EVERY effort is made to give me the BEST product possible.
I will say again -its a good generic cheap brand. AN Ireland will give you lots of help and support - my feeling is that as you advance in the industry you will be looking for a better product.

I've been around for a little while and had never heard of AN and their 25 years of research. I have trained in UK, Poland, USA and Ireland. I am very familiar with sticker factories who re-label products and I have been offered products from said company in Eindhoven, I have been offered (from other companies) re-labelled gel, l&p and mani/pedi lines - there is nothing wrong with me launching RedAdmirals brand tomorrow morning but lets call a spade a spade - nothing beats years of Research and Developement, nothing beats years of building a brand, building a strong team of Educators.

As Bob said 'I hear where you are coming from, but I just want you to understand that the situation is more complex'

I prefer to understand what I am working with, why I am using the product and know that EVERY effort is made to give me the BEST product possible.
I will say again -its a good generic cheap brand. AN Ireland will give you lots of help and support - my feeling is that as you advance in the industry you will be looking for a better product.

hi, i started my training with astonishing last week and im happy enough so far. at the moment im just practising on the 10 case studies i have to do. i must say that the trainer is excellant and goes into great detail in explaining stuff. i notice your in ireland, check out asu nail and beauty suppliers, they are the distributor of Astonishing in Ireland. Also with the educator we have, she is only a phone call or email away should we encounter any problems. the last nail company I was using, (wont name names!!:irked:) were england based. i was supposed to get a call back on a query in Jan and im still waiting. Astonishing might be new now but remember the name cause your going to hear it alot more and i like the fact that with a smaller company you actually get more personal attention, your not just a number and your custom is appreciated. ive dealt with one or two of the bigger so called well established companies and i wont be making that mistake again. i dont change products without an awful lot of consideration but i have to say im happy so far. but believe if im not happy in future ill let ye all know.:lol:

Latest posts

Back