At home nails systems. Have they impacted your business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Vie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm hearing a lot recently about people using at home uv systems like Red Carpet Manicure and Sensationails. There have always been DIY kits available from the likes of Rio at Argos but what are your thoughts on these newer systems? Have they impacted your business in any way? Have any of your clients had good or bad experiences with them? Have you lost clients to these products only for them to return 2 weeks later?

Apologies if this has been done to death on here, I've not thrown up any search results.
xx

Last edited:
Hi there

I havent come across this yet!

But I would imagine those doing it themselves at home probably won't be doing it for long!

1) Its not as easy as it looks applying the product - its a skill you need to be trained in.
2) Incorrect application will always lead to service breakdown.
3) DIY'er are at risk of damaging their nails due to lack of/no knowledge or understanding of what they are doing and what they are dealing with.

I wouldn't worry :)

I had a client last night who told me there was a system being sold in boots. She went on to say: but it's not the same as having it done professionally and it's so much harder to do on yourself as well!

There will be those that will try, realise they don't get the same results, and come back to us :) x

The problem with consumer kits like this generally the quality is not great. You also risk damage to your own nails and that of anyone's you choose to do.

Same can be said for using pro-products at home such as Gelish.

And no I don't think home use kits damage our business, same can be said for home hair dye.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with consumer kits like this generally the quality is not great. You also risk damage to your own nails and that of anyone's you choose to do.

Same can be said for using pro-products at home such as Gelish.

And no I don't think home use kits damage our business, same can be said for home hair dye.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Beat me to it bloomingnails! Damn my iphone and long claws!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nail polishes have been on the market for decades and have not impacted on our business.

There is a difference between people who will pay for treatments and those that can't or won't.

Someone who will look around for a home remedy is never going to be a regular client and that is what everyone should be looking for. A long term, regular client!

Home kits will always be here and are not worth worrying about. We are professionals and offer a professional service backed by knowledge of the products, contraindications and contractions.

There is room for everything out there peeps, so don't waste valuable time worrying about it! :D

Yes and id love to know how many will burn their nail plates and cause allergic reactions.

That wont be healthy now will it?

I agree with shedunlop, let the diyers get on with it, they arent my clients or my hands being ruined.

I have had a few clients in that have been doing their own nail wraps, but these clients tend to get the bare essentials done such as eyebrows, and only pay for other treatments if its a special occasion. I don't think any of my regular nail clients would try to diy. Most of my clients aren't interested in cheap deals or cutting corners, so I don't feel this affects my business xx

Rather than pm everyone.

I have deleted a lot of posts which were just quoting another post that had to be removed. Once the original was removed the others didn't make sense in the thread.

Love you all! :biggrin:

i have had ladies come in with wax still stuck to their legs or welts on their upper lip where they have attempted DIY waxing , some DIY tans are a sight to behold so the at home gel kits disasters might not be as obvious but people will try it out , as some as said to 'save' money or because they think they can do as good a job. you can't do anything about it but put your head down, work away and let them at it.

I totally agree with shedunlop one this. Painters and decorators are still in business even though I paint my own walls. electricians have survived even though I replaced my own dodgy plug socket. Hairdressers haven't vanished because people dye their own hair.

There are some people who will always attempt to do it themselves to save a few quid. They have every right to do so. But there are plenty still that want that pristine finish that only a professional can give and will pay for quality.

Latest posts

Back