at the end of my tether!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angela1

Reaction score
hi geeks!

my clients acrylics are still lifting after a super duper prep,i dont know what to do ,i now think it maybe a few things wrong!too thick at cuticle or touching the skin and maybe not blended enough can this cause lifting? im seriously ready to pack it all in,done my friends nails yesterday and i called her today and they're lifting already!!
please help
angela xxx

hi geeks!

my clients acrylics are still lifting after a super duper prep,i dont know what to do ,i now think it maybe a few things wrong!too thick at cuticle or touching the skin and maybe not blended enough can this cause lifting? im seriously ready to pack it all in,done my friends nails yesterday and i called her today and they're lifting already!!
please help
angela xxx
Ok,these are the reasons that my nails used to lift.....not GOOD enough prep,touching cuticle,too thin at cuticle,incorrect ratio.

These are the main reasons, there are others for example health, medication but keep trying,dont give up,you will get there eventually,it just takes time and lots of it.Good luck:hug:

Oh dear Angela. Have you gone back to your tutor and asked him/her to WATCH your application and Prep?

I can always tell in a 'new your minute' what someone is doing that is causing their problems if I can watch them.

Yes, touching the skin with product will cause lifting ... absolutley it will.

Being thick at the eponychium (zone 3) would not cause lifting in just a day!

How many sets have you applied? How long has it been since you passed your course?

How do you rate your training?

Do you press your product frimly onto the nail plate or do you kind of freeze up in zone 3 and 'tickle' it into place? This is very important.

Have you read my product application tutorials in the tutorial section? Do so and see if you can recognise what it is you are not doing. Read Product Control parts 1,2,3,& 4.

I do not agree that time and good luck will see you through.

I believe that good instruction and knowledge of how your product works and good technique will.

thanks i know il get there,im so frustrated tho ive just opened a new business and i cant have ppl dissing my nails or it will never work,i feel like crying!:cry:

thanks i know il get there,im so frustrated tho ive just opened a new business and i cant have ppl dissing my nails or it will never work,i feel like crying!:cry:

Do you not think it was a bit unwise to open up a business before you felt totally competent with your skill? How you do nails NOW will determine your future reputation!!

aw dont cry hun! :hug:. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet here, but I had the same problem as you, but I managed to identify the reasons, and very rarely see lifting now. My main 3 problems were product touching in zone 3, not getting a "neat" finish in zone 3 (ie the product should fade away, not leaving a visible ledge), and trying to rush through prep. Of all of these, lack of prep is the worst culprit. I recently did some nails on my daughter for a special occasion, and as they were getting soaked of anyway, I rushed through the prep, well you should have seen the lift the next day!!

If you have gone through all of these things have you considered looking into the background and activities of your client(s)? Is it one particular client, do they have oily skin, are they exposing their enhancements to petrol, lanolin, anything like that? I have one client that gets lifting, even with retention monomer, but a bit of nail fresh sorts her out no problem.

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem. :)

thanks geeg,i qualified bout a year and 1/2 ago so i cant go back and ask my college tutor,no-one has came back to me before about them,ive not done them regularly ish maybe 1 set a week, im so frustrated about it,i would say my nails are ok im a bit of a perfectionist,but wen it comes to zone 3 im a bit apprehensive i dont know why tho ! i think it may be the ratio wen i was training we were told that zone 3 had to be a wetter ball!is this right?

thanks geeg,i qualified bout a year and 1/2 ago so i cant go back and ask my college tutor,no-one has came back to me before about them,ive not done them regularly ish maybe 1 set a week, im so frustrated about it,i would say my nails are ok im a bit of a perfectionist,but wen it comes to zone 3 im a bit apprehensive i dont know why tho ! i think it may be the ratio wen i was training we were told that zone 3 had to be a wetter ball!is this right?

Ratio depands on the product you are using. A little wetter in zone 3 won't matter with some generic products, but it does make your product a little less easy to control and you are more likely to touch the skin when you are working wetter. This you do not want to do!! :)

Here are my tips to HELP you because we have to sort this out.

Zone 1 is the tip.
Zone 2 is the stress area and make sure your zone 2 bead doesn't cover more than HALF of the visible pink part of the nail plate. If you do this, it will give you plenty of room to place your
zone 3 bead which should be placed on the edge and slightly overlapping zone 2. Doing this will give you room to work that bead and PRESS it firmly into place in zone 3 without being so close to the skin. See what I mean?? Try it because it really works.

yeah geeg maybe it wasn't wise to open up the business,but we all take chances!and ive never had any complaints before now

yeah geeg maybe it wasn't wise to open up the business,but we all take chances!and ive never had any complaints before now

Well in that case, why are you at the end of your tether with only one client causing you problems?? :) I admire people who take chances ... I did when I started too. It worked for me! And I hope it works for you.

One problem client will not ruin your reputation love. If you've had no complaints and your clients are returning to you then maybe it is just not enough practise. 50 clients per week would help as long as they return so you can see how your work is holding up.

If I can help any more just let me know.

i did practise today with the ratio,and felt that it was easier to work with today,i think that it could be the ratio is too wet in zone 3 and its touching the skin so this is something im going to work on and quick smart,
ive got another question i was trained to apply the white tip and apply white acrylic over the tip then start on my pink! someone told me today not to apply white acrylic onto a white tip as your putting white on white is this correct?im so confused!

i did practise today with the ratio,and felt that it was easier to work with today,i think that it could be the ratio is too wet in zone 3 and its touching the skin so this is something im going to work on and quick smart,
ive got another question i was trained to apply the white tip and apply white acrylic over the tip then start on my pink! someone told me today not to apply white acrylic onto a white tip as your putting white on white is this correct?im so confused!

I have ALWAYS applied white powder over a white tip ... it is not wrong. In fact it is more right than wrong.

How can anyone renew the white smile line if you have not created it in the first place? If you did it over a bare white tip, you would have 2 different whites ... at some stage you have to use white tip powder and you might as well do it right form the start. The things people say!! No wonder you're confused.

There are a zillion ways to do nails and there are not to many wrongs or rights if the end result looks and lasts well for you. You do what works well for you and as long as it is safe for youand the client ignore what silly people say to you especially if they are not qualified to say it in the first place.

well i think i may have mastered the lifting thing!i think my product app was too much! the beads were too big!!!

IMO you have to accept in the end that some clients are a challenge in repects to lifting..i have a handful of them..and i do not do anything different with them than my other "good clients".
Pat on the back for you wanting to solve the problem..but at the end of the day..when you have given it your all and done everything possible to prevent lifting..you do have to give yourself a break and realise eventually it is something out of your control. ie weak natural nails (ex nss client)?
Scrub happy client with a aversion to gloves?
Possible hormonal problems ie. menopause or IVF?
Refusal to use cuticle oil and/or keeping regular 2 weekly appointments?
It is not in all of these cases, the clients fault..but then again it is not your fault either.
Sometimes..seemingly miraculous, getting these clients to pay extra for nail replacements,often brings a solution to the problem.

Latest posts

Back