At what stage of the Pedicure do you file the feet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampy

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering at what stage in your pedicure you think it's best to file the hard skin on feet?

I usually file after I've soaked but I've heard that if you file before soaking it seems to remove hard skin more effectively. I'm just wondering if it's safe to do so as I wasn't trained this way.

Any thoughts? x

Great question!

I have wondered this. I completed the Spa Pedi course a couple of months ago and this tencourages you to do it after soaking, and exfoliation after putting some Callous softner on. I then actually find it quite difficult to remove the skin. So before soaking has always been a winner for me.

I have however recently ordered an AMAZING footfile from a company called Microplane. This is now on it's way (for anyone who's been reading my blog!). So I can't wait to get it. I've seen it used and it gets rid of any dry skin in seconds!

Looking forward to other replies....
xx

Personally comparing from doing my own feet dry and after a bath I'd deff say its easier after soaking.

I soak, shape nails & apply cuticle massage cream, soak again, do cuticle work then remove excess hard skin. Also my mum taught me a good trick of very firmly wiping with the towel as you dry to remove alot before you even start. Works great for me no complaints so far :lol:

hth
Ami

I always did this before the feet got wet as it gets rid of so much more dry skin. You can really see what's coming off and then the rest of the pedi are all nice bits.

I do it before soaking as well as it comes off smooother and easier without it being wet if there is loads and loads i sometimes do it while dry and soak then have another go when wet
i think its all to to do with the technicians preference

thanks for all your replies to this. I bought an OPI foot file and have been using this 'dry' before soaking and it removes so much. Just brilliant. Feet stay smooth for a long time after pedicure too. No more snagging on socks and tights, or so my clients tell me! x

I do it as the last thing before polishing the feet, that way the cuticle oil I put on has a chance to soak in, before I remove it from the nail for polishing. Also by then the skin has fully dried as I just soak the feet and do an exfoliating scrub then move them onto the couch. :hug:

We were taught to do it after soaking at college

Definitely after soaking.

When I learned pedis and esthetics school and nail school they both tought us after soaking. I personally prefer that way because i can see how much skin im really taking off.

I find hard skin removal to be far more effective before soaking,this is because once you soak the skin softens thus making hard skin removal no where near as effective as doing so before,when skin is dry.

Trying to rid the feet of hard skin after soaking makes the job a lot more tedious,the skin is soft and does not come away anywhere near as easy,just kind of rolls off in little bits,whereas when dry you can really get in there.

I always sanitise skin first so no bad smells or anything.
Ive tried both methods and can honestly say that you get a much better result BEFORE soaking the skin.HTH

P.S I love the OPI foot file...simply the best one I have ever worked with:green:

Just wondering what is a good file to get rid of hard skin on heels? Iv got the jessica electrical one which was given at training but i would rather not use an electrical implement on someones feet! Any good files that can be recommended?

Thanks
Lima
x

Well these OPI foot files seemed to be well recommended - when I looked at them I was concerned how expensive they are - how much use do you get from each one before you need to change the grit on them?

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seams a natural progression for this thread.

p.s. I mainly have filed the hard skin after soaking but am going to try before hand next time I think.

Not sure how long the OPI file is going to last but my goodness it really is excellent. It's well over a week since I did my own heels now and the skin is still super smooth. No rough skin has returned at all. It was expensive but I think up to now a worthwhile investment. x

Ive had my opi foot file for over a year. It still does the job but im aware i need to buy another one soon. I have to work more to remove hard skin now than i did when i first had it.

Ive had my opi foot file for over a year. It still does the job but im aware i need to buy another one soon. I have to work more to remove hard skin now than i did when i first had it.

Have you needed to change the pads during that time and roughly how many pedi's/client would you say you have done with it? Is it easy to sanitise?

oh crikey off the top of my head 100 pedis or more. Im pretty sure one of the reps said it does approx 100 treatments. Its worth the money. Plus you can just replace the heads rather than buy a whole new rasp. I will say I do use the cnd callus smoother also to remove hard build up. The finer grit on the opi file is fab for giving a really smooth finish. Its dead easy to sanitise i use my mundo spray or soak it and then use a scrubbing brush on it.

oh crikey off the top of my head 100 pedis or more. Im pretty sure one of the reps said it does approx 100 treatments. Its worth the money. Plus you can just replace the heads rather than buy a whole new rasp. I will say I do use the cnd callus smoother also to remove hard build up. The finer grit on the opi file is fab for giving a really smooth finish. Its dead easy to sanitise i use my mundo spray or soak it and then use a scrubbing brush on it.

Thanks Nicki-Marie - so you are saying that you havent needed to change your grit during the 100 or so treatments. I think I need to invest in one of those if they are that good.

x x x

I find that after using a sanitizing spray , dry buffing works well to remove alot of that hard dead skin. It's like using sand paper on wood. Smooths it right off. Soaking is good but for that extra punch, dry buff before soaking & then use a good exfoliant & file again.

Latest posts

Back