Attached hyponychium question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennis_pr0

Reaction score
I have read some of your posts on this topic, in my case, I have an extra build up of skin thats attached to my nail which eliminated the free edge of my nail. My doctor said this was called pteringum inversum unguis, (im not sure if i spelled that correctly), but that it what he said I have. I was just wondering how common this is, and if there are any treatments for it. To give a good example of what it looks like, check out this link. Pterygium Inversum I would like ot point out however that mine is not as bad as this, but it still looks similar.

Last edited:
I have read some of your posts on this topic, in my case, I have an extra build up of skin thats attached to my nail which eliminated the free edge of my nail. My doctor said this was called pteringum inversum unguis, (im not sure if i spelled that correctly), but that it what he said I have. I was just wondering how common this is, and if there are any treatments for it. To give a good example of what it looks like, check out this link. Pterygium Inversum I would like ot point out however that mine is not as bad as this, but it still looks similar.

Hiya!

Yeah, I used to have this condition (looked very much like the picture you linked!). In fact mine was so bad I used to get worried about clipping my nails off as I was so worried about catching the hyponychium! :irked:

Anyhoos... I've found that by using lots of solar oil and slapping on lots and lots of hand cream has pretty much got rid of it. I think that just by looking after my hands a bit more I'm finding that the growth of skin doesn't stick to the underside of my nail so much any more!

Hope this helps! :green:

:hug:

I use Solar Oil which helps keep it supple and comfortable but it is still there just as it always has been. Like yours mine is similar to your link but not as severe and not under every nail.I warn anyone doing my nails about it as its been nipped in the past, forms dig in (agony!!) and one tech drilled it away from the underside of my nail which took ages to heal and even now although its never grown back if I open something like a tight lid on a jar it pulls my thumb away from the nail again. I have cursed that often! :hug:

I use Solar Oil which helps keep it supple and comfortable but it is still there just as it always has been. Like yours mine is similar to your link but not as severe and not under every nail.I warn anyone doing my nails about it as its been nipped in the past, forms dig in (agony!!) and one tech drilled it away from the underside of my nail which took ages to heal and even now although its never grown back if I open something like a tight lid on a jar it pulls my thumb away from the nail again. I have cursed that often! :hug:

<OUCH!!!!>

Oooh I should have also added that I think my allergy to nail products (monomer, etc) has also helped immensly as I've suffered from onycholysis on several nails (including the thumbnails where the hyponychium was mainly a problem) which I think 'freed up' the hyponychium and so I don't seem to have a problem with it any more! :eek: :green:

Hiya!

Yeah, I used to have this condition (looked very much like the picture you linked!). In fact mine was so bad I used to get worried about clipping my nails off as I was so worried about catching the hyponychium! :irked:

Anyhoos... I've found that by using lots of solar oil and slapping on lots and lots of hand cream has pretty much got rid of it. I think that just by looking after my hands a bit more I'm finding that the growth of skin doesn't stick to the underside of my nail so much any more!

Hope this helps! :green:

:hug:

Hi hun is this like a spongy yellowish colour bit of skin under the nail? I had noticed one of my clients had it on their toe nails and was scared to cut it as i could see it was attached. xx

I too have had similar in the past, though some times are worse than others, I think its pretty common and certainly nothing to worry about, just be careful when clipping the nails!!

Hi hun is this like a spongy yellowish colour bit of skin under the nail? I had noticed one of my clients had it on their toe nails and was scared to cut it as i could see it was attached. xx

Yep that's the stuff! Yes you should try not to cut it as (apart from it hurting like h3ll!) the area can easily get infected.

Right, My derm told me not to play with the area, like putting any kind of cuticle removers on it, so I try to just keep my nails to the length that it doesn'y interfere with the area, and then when cutting my nails I am very careful. Thanks for the replies though, I thought the link I provided would be helpful in comparing what I have to others, so I'm glad im not the only person that has this. I think I have made an obsession over this but now I am relieved that its not as uncomon as i had thought

Do a search for 'Solehorn'

You'll find a lot of info there.

i also have this but not on all nails,this is how i have got long nail beds so im not complaing about it :lol:.
as all the other geeks have said its nothing to worry about and lots of people have it just be careful with it as it can be very sore if you damage it.
im glad its put your mind at rest.xx

I seem to have it on both my fingernails and toenails, for theones where its not there, i still see the small formation if it. I dont use nail products, so i gues im just one of those people that has an extended hyponchium, i guess.... My derm suggested something like this, well he said that this might just be "normal" for my nails, but ya i wish they had a cure for it it is kind of a pain. One more question for all mky replies, can you feel it under your nail because I can feel it.

Latest posts

Back