Attention all salon owners...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucygirl

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of a small Nails Only salon.

I am a licensed nail tech, and working alone, offering manis, pedis and acrylic enhancements.

This is a small town and there are no other nail salons in the immediate area.

So my question is this....

What do you wish you knew about the business side before you opened your doors?

I have a background in business, so I'm not going into this blind, but there are always those helpful things that you can learn from someone who has gone before you.

Thanks in advance.

I wished i'd known about all the red tape involved eg health and safety, employment law etc and knowing more about attracting new clients
GOOD LUCK

I wish i had put in place my now very successful recommend a friend scheme and stuck to my business plan of 2 price rises a year.

Pick your product brand carefully.

Choose your staff wisely.

Don't center your salon strongly around a particular brand make YOU the brand.

Make your literature about what YOU have to offer don't center it on a particular brand.

ensure you have contracts and all your salon rules written and given to staff before they start

Make cleanliness top of your list, together with a warm welcoming smile, and a willingness to work all the hours of the day.
However, don't let the clients walk all over you - you're still the boss ! Some of them push you to the limit :mad:
Don't expect to make much money to start with either. Most of it will get ploughed back into the business for stock, advertising, utility bills etc.
I have the only salon in my town and I'm still concious that people can travel to the next town if they don't like what I do..............
Good Luck in your new business

i wish i would of known about all the insurances that u need and licence's too.. its a pain in the bum but well worth it x x

They are great replies! Wow!
I agree 500% - with
Pick your product brand carefully.

Choose your staff wisely.

and

Make cleanliness top of your list, together with a warm welcoming smile, and a willingness to work all the hours of the day.

So far there is nothing that I regret however Im still only 10 weeks in business..
however... ALLOW for a substantial overrun of your budget... say 30%
this may sound madness but unless you have ALL your advertising quotes from Yellow pages, websites, business stationary, etc etc etc those little extras WILL creep up

ITs all worth it ...Go for it!!
Cait x

There's lots of things I would probably do differently now, but one thing to never forget in our line of service industry is that people are very fickle - and you're generally only as good as your last treatment/haircut.

You may have had a client who's been coming to you for, say, 3 years & been pleased. Next appointment she's not as happy so doesn't re-book, forgetting about all the good she's had over the years.

These are all really great replies, thanks guys.

What about complaints, what does everyone do to handle the inevitable dissatisfied clients from time to time?

I was thinking I'd like to have a policy posted somewhere, but I'm still struggling with exactly what my satisfaction guarantee will be. Any suggestions?

find geeg's thread, your personnal agony aunt for dealing with client, or something, and read it well, and often ;), great keys.

Latest posts

Back