Attention Please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LayStar

<strong>Jugsy Geek</strong>
Reaction score
Rightyo guys!

I'm writing this post in hope that some issues on this board will be resolved. Over the past couple of months, I have noticed things have started to get a bit nasty on here within threads. Quite a lot of other geeks have noticed and commented on this, so I know I'm not the only one who's getting just a tad bit tired of this playground like taunting.

One person this nastiness is being pointed towards is a certain geek. I have already said before, if you have a problem with her, or any other member for that matter, to put them on your ignore list or simply ignore their posts. Nearly every thread that this geek starts gets hijacked with one-point ratings, snide comments and p*** taking. It's not just this geek who gets targeted, I've noticed negativity from different people towards other people on here too, or just people being nasty to everyone!!

It's easy to say this, but I am not taking any sides here, honestly. The problem I have is this site is turning into a playground for bullying taunts. This is a message board for nail technicians. We are supposed to be representing our industry in a professional and mature way on here. I'm not saying you're not allowed your laughs and jokes, but blatantly ripping into someone - anyone - for no serious reason is pure bullying, and let's face it, doesn't look so great to people who are visiting this site wanting to join and learn.

I will be the first to put my hand up and say yes, I have had some windups about this geek with other members in the past, but never did I or anyone else publically taunt her in the forums. I have personally apologised to this geek about this already. However, I think a line has been crossed now and I think all this bitchyness from everyone has gone way too far and should stop now, cos myself and a lot of other geeks are getting really really hacked off with it all. I have been a member here since the beginning, and in those *almost* 3 years, we have had Geek Villains come and post their nastiness, but never have we had actual geeks victimising other members.

I think the whole reputation system is also being abused, people are still freely dishing out the little red blips for pathetic reasons. This has been discussed and argued about no end of times, and is still causing friction on the board. If you can't handle neg rep, disable your rep systems. As I have said before, a neg rep isn't really going to 'harm' you is it? It won't affect your career, or your whole life!! So just get on with it! I don't give a damn if I receive a neg rep, cos I know I'm gona wake up the next morning with my life still the same as it was before I earned a red blip!

You may not be aware, but this geek does have feelings. How do you know you're not hurting her with what you say in her threads? You may not think what you're saying is doing any harm but how do you know that for sure? All I'm asking is for some peace on here!! Everyone needs to snap out of this and play nicely! Wouldn't you rather be known for being a fab nail technician rather than a bully?

*********( Took this sentence out to retain anonymity)
I'm leaving it as that now. If there's any problems feel free to PM me.

x

Hi I havent been a member very long but in the short time I have I have to admit that some of the threads have been quite off putting and makes a newie like me abit scared to post a thread incase someone will rip you to shreds:cry:

But on the other hand I have been welcomed by lots of you and may of you have given me good advice:D

Keep it up Geeks you are all great people:hug:

i agree. i was targeted once but it is not as often now

Well said Layla, lets hope people take heed.

I think sometimes that people just begin to loose patience and let rip a little bit or else they say things tongue-in-cheek which are then not read that way. I don't believe many of the geeks are intentionally cruel but patience can wear thin at times ... I can understand it myself.

AS to Claire69's comment I can only say that your situation was entirely different. You were doing something that was very wrong and that many had very strong feelings about ... it was nothing personal but about an issue for which you later very graciously and courageously apologized. No one was bullying or targeting you, but rather what you were doing.

oh i know i was in the wrong but i think that some of the comments i revieved were unfair

geeg said:
I think sometimes that people just begin to loose patience and let rip a little bit or else they say things tongue-in-cheek which are then not read that way. I don't believe many of the geeks are intentionally cruel but patience can wear thin at times ... I can understand it myself.

here here

I am sorry layla, but i think just starting a thread like this, brings the whole thing up again. and gives it a platform to keep going, I appreicate completely what you are saying, but the more people talk about it the worse it seems to get.

jac extreme said:
I am sorry layla, but i think just starting a thread like this, brings the whole thing up again. and gives it a platform to keep going, I appreicate completely what you are saying, but the more people talk about it the worse it seems to get.

I agree with you jac entirely... and its getting to be so boring! :irked:

This is a message board for nail technicians. We are supposed to be representing our industry in a professional and mature way on here. I'm not saying you're not allowed your laughs and jokes, but blatantly ripping into someone - anyone - for no serious reason is pure bullying, and let's face it, doesn't look so great to people who are visiting this site wanting to join and learn.

I have to agree with this one..... Humour is a funny thing and it is only funny when everybody can see the joke and it is not at the expense of another geek...and for the amusement of others, who then in turn add their little bit and before you know it gets out of hand..and it is then not funny for the geek at the receiving end....No Geek should be a target for this no matter what the reasons are..
We have the rep system, if something bothers you either rep them accordingly or report it as a bad post and then let the moderators deal with it....

Now back to my Voddy and Orange and my long overdue bubble bath.... Lush Bathbombs rock by the way xxxx

I think it's totally irresponsible of you to name this geekin this thread. All you've done is patronize and ridicule her.

I know your hearts in the right place Layla but I think you're just causing problems with your thread.

Furthermore....................I am appalled at just how two faced many of the people on this site are. I've seen and heard people from this site slag people off in the most disloyal and venomous way and then the next minute, they're gushing and sucking up to them.

I'm going before I say something I'll regret.

I respect your honesty for sharing your feelings about the recent happenings on the site. My logic of it all is that within any community of people, you will have nice ones, not so nice ones, attention seekers; you name it.

The world isnt perfect, however its a matter of how you deal with it.

There is an old saying 'Every act has a react'. If a geek is going to start a thread that's going to cause controversy, so be it. Let them deal with the reaction.

From a professional side of things, I dont think names should have been included in your thread. If the person in question has a problem with the recent happenings then they should come forward and deal with the matter themself.

Nail FX said:
I agree with you jac entirely... and its getting to be so boring! :irked:

Ok here goes i haven't been on here for a while for pretty much the reason this thread was started. I'm not the only one who feels like this either, i thought this place was really great but of late i find theres more bitching on here than anything else. I've used to tell people what i'd been up too eg starting my nail course, general stuff that you'd chat about with friends etc... also but then for no app reason i got a neg rep. Now ok thats fine i'm all for the rep system if its used properly but there was no reason for it as i explained that what i did had good intentsions but instead of thinking ok it was one of those things someone just neg repped me instead and i just got a load of neg feedback when i tried to find out what i'd done. I now have the comment "..... has got off on the wrong foot slightly" on my rep which to anyone else doesn't look good, which i think is unfair if its not justly deserved if you get me. This is not a moan i'm just glad that finally someone has had the guts to speak up for those that are too worried to.
I've started my nail course have so many questions and pics and generally wanted to share with you guys but like some other geeks on here i don't want too post as i'm afraid that whatever it is if its not spot on etc or interesting enough it will just be ripped to pieces/ put down. There will be questions that are constantly asked which yes if your very experienced can become a bit too repeatative, plus threads started that aren't interesting to eveyone but if you don't ask questions you need to know then how will new techs like me learn?? And if there's threads that don't interest you then just don't post so it doesn't cause trouble. We all have diferent interests thankfully or the site would get pretty boring lol!!
Its a shame thats its getting this way as surely thats what this site is for, helping, making friends etc.....!!! We should be treated as equals not rated constantly for who we are or what we do/say. Life's hard enough we have that out there, don't do it on here unless really needed!!
Come on lets just get things back as they should be!!!!!!! :D :D Hey i feel better for saying all that already!!! BIG SMILES/HUGS ALL ROUND:hug: :hug:

I have edited the posts so that the name has been removed........hope this solves this problem xxxx

No disrespect to anyone mentioned or not mentioned.... but GET A GRIP!!!! This is a web forum, and its one of the very best I've come across, maximum help and advice... minimum bitching (trust me, I know)

If you feel you've been slighted, go back and check your post. Maybe it was taken up the wrong way..... if it was... deal with it! Sh*t happens and most of the guys here (99.9%) offer great advice and common sense answers constantly. READ THAT STUFF, IT IS GOOD. :p

If you posted something negative, rude, slightly off the mark, etc, learn from it and move on..... and feel the love... :D

Do you know- i very rarely reply to any threads like this & i do see where you are coming from Lalya-

I for one have become very bored with the posts... so i just DON'T post/read. simple.

I disappeared for a while back in the summer from this site because it had got just so petty... (some geeks were analizing every reply posted in every thread & we were constantly having to justify our opinions) & i just had no interest in loggin on to see what had been posted each day... I honestly have to say at that time I did not miss this site at all...

Recently i have come back & started to enjoy being back on here.... however that feeling is starting to fade again.... that's why i have recently posted a couple of easy going light hearted threads about 'food' & 'getting to know you', just to change the manotany at the moment.

The real shame in all this?... all the hard work that Sam puts into this site for OUR benefit is being jepordized...He works his arse off for us(read his journal!!)... & it is all for free (if you don't wanna be a prem that is)...geeks are leaving this site & new guests don't want to join.... negative talk about this site amongst tech's who aren't geeks, won't promote this site in a good light at all...

Sam has just recently won an award for this site & looking at being nominated for another...so pleease let's keep the reputation/standard high that it soo rightly deserves. :hug:

Seanny said:
If you posted something negative, rude, slightly off the mark, etc, learn from it and move on..... and feel the love... :D
yes indeed feel the lurve, come on guys we are family. i got all my sisters (and bro's) with me:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm closing this thread for the simple reason that it is drawing negative attention to a minuscule % of posts.

That is NOT to say that the post isn't valid and that Layla is spot on with who she is talking about. And as such I will tell you what: I'm going to start watching the rep system like a hawk again (like I have the time to) and to those I see abusing it: You will get the full force of the system. I will dish out negative reps for people dishing out negative rep without a valid reason. The catch here is that my neg power is freaking Omnipotent - therefore your negative mark will cost someone 1 point, but when I dish out negative rep - its FAR more than that!

That or the system will just disappear. Last time that happened - all hell broke loose. Get it together guys - Im not here to babysit. Act like adults.

nJoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back