Attitudes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkthistle

Reaction score
Currently advertising for staff and I'm shocked at the attitudes of some applicants some gems...

One very abrupt "my name is.. I am qualified, If you want to know more phone me"

"What may I ask, "experience" do you need to paint nails etc"

"I can't do Saturday's cause I work in the salon across the street on Saturdays"

Is it just me?

We had a work experience girl in once who didn't wear her uniform, just see through leggings (with leopard print pants underneath and she wasn't the smallest of girls!!!) and a vest top. She would swear in front of clients and talk about having sex with her partner to them which was bizarre.

When the salon owner complained to her she wouldn't listen but didn't want to not give her a chance so rang the college about her.

She then came to the salon swearing down the phone the following week saying she'd "batter" someone...dressed in black trousers and shirt, and asked the owner "Is this any good for you then?!"

Arguments ensued and unbelievably she was super shocked when asked to leave the premises and not return.

That was the worst we've had but there've been a few in need of a slap and a full days work!

Where have you advertised? I advertised on indeed.com and had nothing but time wasters that clearly didn't read the job description, some really were laughable so I feel your pain lol, interviews booked and didn't turn up, interest from those who had not even qualified. I gave up on there and ended up meeting my new tech on a course - extremely glad too because she's lovely and "normal"! X

Do you write detailed job specs including listing the essential attributes required?
You might find this cuts down the number of less competent applicants.

In my previous life in a large organisation, I used to bypass HR and draft my own job adverts and spend considerable time and effort on a detailed interview process and always had my pick of excellent candidates.

My downfall was my limited staff budget so several of my staff were poached by other (sexier and better financed) departments after I'd trained them up. Grr!

We had a work experience girl in once who didn't wear her uniform, just see through leggings (with leopard print pants underneath and she wasn't the smallest of girls!!!) and a vest top. She would swear in front of clients and talk about having sex with her partner to them which was bizarre.
When the salon owner complained to her she wouldn't listen but didn't want to not give her a chance so rang the college about her.
She then came to the salon swearing down the phone the following week saying she'd "batter" someone...dressed in black trousers and shirt, and asked the owner "Is this any good for you then?!"
Arguments ensued and unbelievably she was super shocked when asked to leave the premises and not return.That was the worst we've had but there've been a few in need of a slap and a full days work!

Oh dear! I'm probably a bit mean but I wouldn't have given her a second chance.

I'd have set out my (high) expectations on the first morning and reviewed their performance at the end of each day for at least the first two weeks. If they were eager to please and could take the pressure, I knew they'd be a good fit for the team.

My personal thoughts are that if you start from a position of accepting mediocrity, they're more likely to slink further downwards rather than suddenly improve to an acceptable standard.

Latest posts

Back