Auctioning your values

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
this article originally appeared in Scratch, October 2004

Since opening the Nail Geek forums a year and a half ago one of the more common threads that regularly pop up is in regards to people discovering professional nail care products on EBay.

A year ago, all that you would find next to the gently used grandma knickers would be the occasional L&P brush or jar of polymer powder. Things have changed dramatically as now people are finding monomers, gels, fibreglass kits, UV lights, drills, etc… This is turning into a serious business for some!

Now it appears that you can find a virtual trade show of professional products up for auction every day. These products are being sold by professional nail technicians that have managed to land a load of product somewhere to auction off to make a quick quid. Interestingly enough, the largest surge of products appear directly after a trade show where many professional technicians have gone in anticipation to buy products at a discounted rate to maximize their profit margins.

My EBay experience

About a year ago Mrs Geek and I were looking at remodelling our sitting room and I just about had her talked into a new Plasma Screen television. Desperate for my new toy that would be a true monument of my masculinity and an altar to the testosterone gods; I hunted out a brand new “factory sealed” forty-two-inch Pioneer Plasma Screen TV on EBay for half what I would have paid in the store.
My delight was paramount after heavy bidding and a last second snipe; I won out all other bidders with less than a minute remaining! The joy and triumph was second only to those that climb Mount Everest wearing only a mismatched pair of striped tube socks.

Minutes before I was about to pay for the goods I was alerted by EBay that I was dealing with a fraudster who was greedily awaiting me to click the button to transfer the funds to him and the rest of his Eastern block Mafia.
[BREAK]
Funnily enough as I am writing this, I just got a call from Mrs Geek who has just received a few of my EBay purchases from the weekend. One of those purchases happened to be “Cat in the Hat” for my youngest geeklin who loved the book. Sadly, he won’t have the pleasure of viewing it as the DVD turns out to be a ripped off cheap copy that doesn’t play. Yup folks, I have been duped saving a buck on EBay. I thought I was bidding on a new DVD and it turns out it was nothing more than a flashy coaster to rest a cold beer on.
That led me to wonder... What will you actually get if you purchase your professional products on EBay? How do you know that what you are buying is indeed what you think you are buying? How do you know that used monomer hasn’t been poured back into the container? How do you know that it is even the monomer you think you are buying?

Sure, some may advertise the products as being sealed, but that means very little. My “Cat in the Hat” DVD was advertised as sealed… the seller sealed it as he was laughing all the way to the bank in a way that would scare the crap out of Jack Nicholson.

Who cares?
Well, everyone does and those that shouldn’t should start.

First off, these items are being sold to the general public!! Even if they follow the "will only sell to professional nail technicians" crap (which most do not) they are still being sold in a PUBLIC ARENA and most times for far more money than it costs to actually buy the product from a professional distributor.

Virtually all these hazardous products are being shipped via First Class post. Shipping flammables via standard First Class Post can lead to substantial fines, prosecution, and even imprisonment. Do they care? Do they care that mail rooms across the country get evacuated when a parcel containing flammable items is discovered? Do they care about you flying trans Atlantic sitting over a cargo hull filled with undeclared (and therefore not stored accordingly) flammable and hazardous items purchased overseas in an attempt to save 50 pence?

Even more importantly than the scare of men in white wigs yelling at you for being a naughty thrift tech; the fact that people are attempting to make money off of selling Joe Public products that they know they will not be able to use safely let alone successfully. This type of money making is incredibly dangerous and unethical.
  • What can you do? First off, stop buying professional products from EBay. The more are sold, the more people will sell! The quicker these guys realize that no one is going to buy this stuff, the faster it will disappear.
  • Distributors and companies can really do nothing to get products off of EBay so stop whinging about them not doing anything. Once these guys bought the product, it becomes their property to sell.
  • Notify EBay the moment you see potentially hazardous items being sold on EBay they have a policy about hazardous goods being sold.
Professional ethics isn’t something you should be able to bid for.

Just out of curiosity... Anyone interested in a sealed “Cat in the Hat” DVD?

Attachments

• ebay.JPG
    ebay.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 380
I To Know What It Is Like To Get Duped On Ebay. I Do Sell Some Things On Ebay. I Sold Some Polish, And I Did Sell A Bottle Of Kiker From Backscratchers We All Know The Product Is In A Aerosol Can And This Led To A Problem With Shipping The Items.in This Aspect My Husband Was Called By The Post Office And Told That I Was Selling Illegal Contraband. In This Same Aspect I Found Out That The Products That I Shipped Were Flammable And Had To Be Ground Shipped Due To Flammability. Also I Found Out That The Public Is Under The Misconsumption Of What Can And Can't Be Mailed In The Us Postal System. I Think That The Post Office Should Better Inform The Public Of What Can And Can't Be Shipped And How You Should Go About Shipping Things.

hello all

I am totally against professional products being sold on e-bay, there are plenty of nail tech boards where professionals may sell their unwanted stock on!
As Samuel has said to ship these hazardous materials through the post could have disastrous consequences and may affect us as all in the industry.
This isn't taking into consideration that professional products are falling into untrained hands! The damage a member of the public could inflict on herself or her Friends with these products is unthinkable, it makes me shudder at the thought. All to save a few £££££'s is it really worth it?
I personally would never buy professional products from e-bay, how do we know they are what they say? not contaminated? or out of date? or something totally different in the bottles as to what they are advertised as? what if the liquid for example is mma? in an ema bottle? how would we know?

I think e-bay should take some action to prevent this from happening and should list professional nail products on their list of forbidden items for sale.

Ok, where do i start. I sell and buy on ebay and do think it is such a wonderful site full of bargains for one and all. Allthough i am so fed up of seeing professional nail technician products for sale to the general public on ebay. I saved and saved for months to have the oportunity to train to become a nail technician, and recieve the appropriate knowledge to learn how to use the chemicals I now use every day. These chemicals are for PROFESSIONAL USE, afterall that is what we are trained for allthough they are being sold to Joe public out there at sometimes extravagant prices. Putting these chemicals in an untrained persons hands is asking for trouble. I do not condone the sellers for doing this as they are supposed to be trained professionals who should know better than to sell to any tom dick or harry for a quick quid (or fifty as is sometimes the case.) This needs to be stopped now.

This was just posted on another thread and thought I would post it here:

nails@42ndstreet said:
Sam

What forum/steps should we take to inform EBay of this type of mis-selling? Is it throughSafe Harbour? How do we inform them?

A tad more info required please?
Good Q Cathie...
Go to http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

And follow the steps to inform them of hazardous goods being sold.

Well said Sarah. Personally, I love eBay. I get all sorts of bits and bobs there. I just personally do not feel that it is appropriate to allow selling of hazardous items that can be very dangerous to Joe Schmoe!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say about eBay ... We use this site at home and have had varying degrees of success both with selling and purchasing items ... we have also been stung/duped with copies and with nearly paying for something (several hundred pounds) that didnt exist .. thanks to another eBayer warning us we didnt pay!
There are some lovely, genuine people that buy and sell on eBay and I am actually quite a fan of the whole eBay thing providing you go in with your eyes open lol :) BUT ....

I totally agree that professional nail products should not be allowed to be sold on eBay ... bad enough that you can buy those crap kits out of argos etc These products should not be allowed into untrained hands.
As already stated there is no guarantee as to what is in those pots or bottles - and then for it to be sent via normal mail or airmail is so scary!
I hope eBay take notice of you Sam and prohibit these sales.
Jo x

It is both IRRESPONSIBLE for ebay to allow these professional nail product listings to continue and IRRESPONSIBLE of the ebay sellers to knowingly sell professional nail products to untrained and inexperienced members of the public.

It should definitely not be allowed.....Jo and I have just had a similar conversation about certain large chemist and catalogue stores doing the same thing.

They are dangerous things to use in the wrong hands

I love Ebay for certain things but I do not think that it is fair that we spend lots of time and effort and money to become professional and try and help to portray a professional industry image if every Tom, Dick and Harriett can buy very dangerous (in untrained hands) chemicals on ebay.

Imagine the chaos in the Royal Mail if some fine white powder leaked out of an inappropriate envelope!

Well I feel that all these fraudster who sell products illegally in E-bay need to be stopped NOW. Although I believe that there are genuine people selling genuine items, I know think that the fraudster are taking over. Also I am against any nail products being sold over e-bay, I like to know that I am getting my products from a legimate company. Its not only the fact that liquid and powders should only be sold to professionals, But also why should these people be allowed to illegally post hazardous goods through the post, Companies can not do this so why sellers on e-bay.

dont hate me for this guys :Scared: , but providing the items are authentic, in date and correctly delivered, isnt it just the same as the public being able to purchase professional products from sallys or acrylic kits from boots ? :confused:

i almost wish i hadnt posted this, coz i agree with the principle. but i 'm not sure if its fair to stop one group of people selling certain products and not another.

A favourite analogy of mine with regards to home learning is one involving a dentist practising on a plastic jaw with plastic teeth 'drilling and filling': gorgeous fillings and a jaw that doesn't need scraping off the ceiling.

Maybe we can get the latest ceramic veneer material from e-bay??

Selling quality professional nail products in this way is no different.

The sellers are irresponsible and greedy and don't have the acumen to start a 'proper' business. The sellers of professional kits on some shopping channels and shops such as Argos and Boots are equally irresponsible but the hair industry has had to put up with it for years. The professional industry can demonstrate 'it is better to go to a pro'.

The e-bay trade is, I feel, coming from 'within'. Those in the know going to shows and knowing they have a market in the hobbyists and cheapskates; you know the ones that have done a 1 day course or 'homelearn'.

Maybe one of the newspaper journos who love to print the horror stories about nails would like to know about the e-bay traders. Anyone got a friendly journo?

mum said:
Anyone got a friendly journo?
You're the one who's friendly with all the journos my friend!! Go for it.

Just as a matter of interest, how about all those 'nail companies' who sell their products without a scrap of education?? They are no better or worse than Ebay or Sally's. You think it doesn't happen??? People in our own industry do it every day ... open you eyes and smell the coffee everyone!!

I completely agree about the selling of professional/hazardous products on ebay and the incorrect postage and stuff, but what i can't get my head around is yesterday at GMEX how come anyone could buy from the Creative stand no-one was asked for an appropriate id etc, so whats the difference?!

Big difference. It is a show for professionals. True as long as everyone comes bringing friends and parents etc the odd one or two might slip through, but most I feel wouldn't pay the price or have the inclination. YOu can only control things so far at shows .. give 'em a break for goodness sake!! The queues are bad enough as it is .... without checking ID's, BUT it is coming that soon we will be computerized at shows and be asking for customer ids. At least we are trying ... there are dozens of other companies there in the same predicament ... why pick on CND to complain about?

angel fingers said:
dont hate me for this guys :Scared: , but providing the items are authentic, in date and correctly delivered, isnt it just the same as the public being able to purchase professional products from sallys or acrylic kits from boots ? :confused:
Yes, it is BUT as was quoted earlier
" how do we know they are what they say? not contaminated? or out of date? or something totally different in the bottles as to what they are advertised as? what if the liquid for example is mma? in an ema bottle? how would we know?"

From what I can gather, stuff ISN'T correctly being posted/packaged and this is just as much a problem/danger as the stuff being sold in the first place.

The kits you can buy in 'Boots/Argos' are also not what I would class as professional - would you pay to go to a tech who used them? OK, if people want to have a go and ruin their own nails but with professional (looking) kit available on EBAY you could have anyone untrained ruining other peoples nails and charging them for the pleasure!

EBAY, PLEASE help those of use who have taken the time and spent the money to get properly trained. PLEASE help those of us who want to improve the reputation of the industry by doing it correctly. PLEASE save the untrained and unsuspecting general public from what could be permanently damaged nails, or worse from incorrect use of chemicals and STOP professional nail products being sold.

I totally agree that these people need to be stopped but as it has been mentioned before, it is a war that has been raging for a while. No sooner does someone get the boot from Ebay, then 3 more spring up selling the same stuff.

I have bought and sold on Ebay, and more often than not, the goods are genuine and as described, but there is always one where you pay more postage than the stamp on the packaging or the goods are less than standard, but if is your responsibility to 'out' these people and dont leave positive feedback when you have a gripe with them.

I think all I am saying is the only way to stop these people from selling is if people stop buying... but how likely is that ? People will try anything to save a few quid and not think about the consequences.

Right I'm off my soapbox now !!! LOL

The more I see behaviour like this on Ebay the less I haved used it, in fact now its got to the i wont touch it with a barge poll now...and the i recommend to friends/family and customers alike NOT to use a site such as this. The products being sold on their are not for Joe Public to buy and use without training god knows what they could do to their nails. It's very frustrating that professional goods are being allowed to be sold on her..but more importantly how are these hazzardous chemicals being sent...! I bet the Post Office woudn't be to thrilled either to find monomer leeking out into their letters where would that leave ebay then, would they be liable?

I ask you could ebay be held responsbile for these unethical sales - do they not have an owness to govern what is being sold on their site?

and from a more personal point of view I have invested time and money in my training and I dont need some little twerp de-valuing the products i use from purchasing off this site and charging ten bob for a set of nails..... :smack:

Latest posts

Back