Aus Nail Show Update

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
Well who went and who didn't?

Sam (our Aussie geek) got a 3rd place (you should have seen the look on her face), she loves her Entity. I caught up with her with her thumbs sticky taped together while modelling for the 3D competition. Entity also got a first place (one hand tips, one hand sculptures). Cool product and excellent results for such a new product.

The busiest booth at the show would have to have been Hawley, with their "Illume" product (no buffing of the nail at all) blew the socks off everyone, as well as the launch of their new "Define tips" no well, not tapered in 4 colors, in amazing packaging (which I think is wasted, I just put em in a box) at a third of the price of their nearest competition "performance tips". They seem to have a product equivelent to anyone elses, but at a ridiculous (almost outrageous price reduction).

The 3D comp was mind blowing (although, I prefer to see more work done on the floor), so I'm not gonna vent in here.

I also caught up with Doug Schoon for a free seminar talking about the chemicals and how they work (no product pushing), it was fab and I'm sure he won't forget me, nor my questions in a hurry.

I'm now the proud owner of a signed copy of "Nail Structure & Product Chemistry ...Second Edition", my new bible:)

Young Nails was also launched and I have a quite lively discussion and product play with Greg he does the demos on their website (he's quite the character, and fun to watch with his "back to front application). Lord knows, he's more opinionated than me (it cracked me up). Very nice product,and product range also. It's one to keep an eye out for. Their simplistic honesty impressed me.

This was the first year since 1988 when i wasn't judging, competing or demonstrating .... I was a free agent, but a little disappointed that there was nothing really new that I haven't already mentioned.
Colour Club, a great polish brand did launch a miniature size (they are so cute) and a fab polish range ....... aaaaaamazing colors.

I'm also proud to say, due to my kick up while judging last year, 2 competitors using MMA were disqualified on the Saturday.

Every year there seems to be a product flavor, this year in the comps it was Entity, off the comp floor it was definitely Hawley "Illume". I thought Ezflow was unusually quiet (although quite a few competitors were using it).

The Creative Nail stand was pumping with it's usual faithful (and they had some great show specials) with about 20%-40% off nearly everything (you would freak out if I told you some of the prices). Enamels were AUS$5 (work that out in pounds)!!!!. Colour Brisa was also demonstrated over the weekend, with great interest.

I got sick of the sight of lash extensions (and they are getting cheaper and cheaper), also bloody nail art printers (nuthin much "arty", when a machine does all the work).

So all in all, I guess it was worth getting out of bed for:)

Gaaawd, I fell like Lois Lane, well thats my report, have fun digesting it !!!!!

PS: There was lots of gossip, but I only report on what I see, not what I hear !!!!!!:green:

Well who went and who didn't?

Sam (our Aussie geek) got a 3rd place (you should have seen the look on her face), she loves her Entity. I caught up with her with her thumbs sticky taped together while modelling for the 3D competition. Entity also got a first place (one hand tips, one hand sculptures). Cool product and excellent results for such a new product.

The busiest booth at the show would have to have been Hawley, with their "Illume" product (no buffing of the nail at all) blew the socks off everyone, as well as the launch of their new "Define tips" no well, not tapered in 4 colors, in amazing packaging (which I think is wasted, I just put em in a box) at a third of the price of their nearest competition "performance tips". They seem to have a product equivelent to anyone elses, but at a ridiculous (almost outrageous price reduction).

The 3D comp was mind blowing (although, I prefer to see more work done on the floor), so I'm not gonna vent in here.

I also caught up with Doug Schoon for a free seminar talking about the chemicals and how they work (no product pushing), it was fab and I'm sure he won't forget me, nor my questions in a hurry.

I'm now the proud owner of a signed copy of "Nail Structure & Product Chemistry ...Second Edition", my new bible:)

Young Nails was also launched and I have a quite lively discussion and product play with Greg he does the demos on their website (he's quite the character, and fun to watch with his "back to front application). Lord knows, he's more opinionated than me (it cracked me up). Very nice product,and product range also. It's one to keep an eye out for. Their simplistic honesty impressed me.

This was the first year since 1988 when i wasn't judging, competing or demonstrating .... I was a free agent, but a little disappointed that there was nothing really new that I haven't already mentioned.
Colour Club, a great polish brand did launch a miniature size (they are so cute) and a fab polish range ....... aaaaaamazing colors.

I'm also proud to say, due to my kick up while judging last year, 2 competitors using MMA were disqualified on the Saturday.

Every year there seems to be a product flavor, this year in the comps it was Entity, off the comp floor it was definitely Hawley "Illume". I thought Ezflow was unusually quiet (although quite a few competitors were using it).

The Creative Nail stand was pumping with it's usual faithful (and they had some great show specials) with about 20%-40% off nearly everything (you would freak out if I told you some of the prices). Enamels were AUS$5 (work that out in pounds)!!!!. Colour Brisa was also demonstrated over the weekend, with great interest.

I got sick of the sight of lash extensions (and they are getting cheaper and cheaper), also bloody nail art printers (nuthin much "arty", when a machine does all the work).

So all in all, I guess it was worth getting out of bed for:)

Gaaawd, I fell like Lois Lane, well thats my report, have fun digesting it !!!!!

PS: There was lots of gossip, but I only report on what I see, not what I hear !!!!!!:green:

Well it sounds like it was a fab show and some of the things you have metioned sound very interesting so i will be looking into those.

I must say i am very jealous of your signed book and am gutted we have to wait til october now. ( she says stamping her feet)

a huge well done to sam,

Wish i lived near aus!!!!

Thanks for sharing hunny xxxx:hug:xxxx

The busiest booth at the show would have to have been Hawley, with their "Illume" product (no buffing of the nail at all) blew the socks off everyone, as well as the launch of their new "Define tips" no well, not tapered in 4 colors, in amazing packaging (which I think is wasted, I just put em in a box) at a third of the price of their nearest competition "performance tips".

Thanx for the report carl! interesting. Is the above - Hawley - an Aus company? sounds like a product to try out!

xx:hug:

The busiest booth at the show would have to have been Hawley, with their "Illume" product (no buffing of the nail at all) blew the socks off everyone, as well as the launch of their new "Define tips" no well, not tapered in 4 colors, in amazing packaging (which I think is wasted, I just put em in a box) at a third of the price of their nearest competition "performance tips".

Thanx for the report carl! interesting. Is the above - Hawley - an Aus company? sounds like a product to try out!

xx:hug:
yep, it's an Aus company, not online either, the tips are only new (last week)

Wow Carl....I almost feel as if I was there....great thread.

I would have paid good money to have been in the audience listening to you and Doug Schoon!

Sounds like fun i much prefer to see a show from spector view than from competing as your so under pressure.

So what is this "Hawley, with their "Illume" product " is this the anme of the tips or is a product? I love a new product, did you try the tips out carl?

Wow Carl....I almost feel as if I was there....great thread.

I would have paid good money to have been in the audience listening to you and Doug Schoon!

LMAO this was going to be my exact reply!

Sounds like you had a great time....it would be good if Hawley's and their Illume had an outlet for us lot outside Aus to have a play with as you rate all their products so highly! I'd love to have a play.

If you ever get fed up with nails, journalism would be a good choice, great report, thanks. I just wish I could have been taking notes whilst you were talking to Doug Schoon:)

:hug:Great report

You and Doug would have been worth watching:hug:

Can't you lobby Hawley to arrange a UK distributor or do they ship internationally?

Fabulous, thanks fdor the link Janice.....Tomcats....sounds a bit Top Gun though doesn't it lol! Or am I just thinking TomKat!

:)Wow Carl sounds like you had a fun time , Gawd peeps using mma in comps that sucks and you met Doug lucky you xxxx

Pleasure Cathie can't have half the story :wink2:

XX J XX

It's great you managed to catch Doug's talk. I would've loved to have been there for that.

I do find the stands all getting less interesting each year though. What did you think of it compared to last years show?

Latest posts

Back