Aveda colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomic

Reaction score
I've never used these before but I've been told the technician I visited today will use their line of permanent colouring.

After doing homers for so long and my own hair I am nervous! I've been reading they are slightly darker? Do they do more fashion shades like reds?

I was interested in them as well but never found them lol

They don't go darker and cover all the shades from natural brunettes to platinum blondes, soft gold to daffodil yellow.

Don't worry, your technician will mix the right colour for you.

I'm just so unfamilar with their products! The lady seems fab and she knew i knew what i was talking about. The plan is to add a crazy colour after at the back wash but when i suggested fire red she said it fades to orange, why would I want that? I think shes confused with vermillion red, fire red is more pinky, and then from there I got a bit worried thats all!

I'm just so unfamilar with their products! The lady seems fab and she knew i knew what i was talking about. The plan is to add a crazy colour after at the back wash but when i suggested fire red she said it fades to orange, why would I want that? I think shes confused with vermillion red, fire red is more pinky, and then from there I got a bit worried thats all!

If it is a full Aveda salon (whereabouts in the UK are you?) they won't stock crazy colour and she will be making your 'crazy colour' custom blended for you once you are pre-lightened using Aveda Pure Pigments and Universal Base. If you'd like her to achieve more of a Fire Red I would recommend showing her a photo of the swatch. She will probably mix 8 grms Pure Red pigment with 2 grams Universal 0N and 10 grams of Creme DOCT or maybe even 5vol.

Make sure you ask her about the Madder Root Shampoo and Conditioner as well as Colour Conserve Daily Colour Protect to keep it looking amazing. :)

Personally, I've never worked with Aveda colors, but someone I know who used to work for Aveda told me that all their colors are mixed 'from scratch', so instead of using, say, a 5/35, they'll create the /35 by using pigments in the primary colors and mixing them in the needed ratio and then add it to the base.
I might be slightly wrong technicalities-wise, but that's how he explained it to me. It sounds really interesting, I'd love to try my hand at it sometime!

Personally, I've never worked with Aveda colors, but someone I know who used to work for Aveda told me that all their colors are mixed 'from scratch', so instead of using, say, a 5/35, they'll create the /35 by using pigments in the primary colors and mixing them in the needed ratio and then add it to the base.
I might be slightly wrong technicalities-wise, but that's how he explained it to me. It sounds really interesting, I'd love to try my hand at it sometime!

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

The entire line is made up of 10 bases which you then mix to your requirements with tones such as green, blue, red etc. You can also intensify your result using an Intense Base, or mute it down using a clear base. Pastel tones are available to give you shimmer results. I guess you could say its like painting.

The salon I work in uses mostly aveda and the colours are really fantastic! And are mixed as described above^ so they are totally customisable! Xxx

Hmm interested how can I find this? I. Have looked but can't find gree

Hmm interested how can I find this? I. Have looked but can't find gree

You need to work in an Aveda salon Thiago. You can't buy Aveda colour from anyone except Aveda and they choose which salons they will work with. Whereabouts in the country are you?

Hmmm so it's a lol more special then?

I did wonder why she told me what brand it was and that it would be a little more expensive but that's what she wanted to go with, so I'm like yeah, let's see then. Once she's used that , she'll put the CC on (I have to bring that in)

In theory it sounds perfect but I'll soon find out.

The salon I work in uses mostly aveda and the colours are really fantastic! And are mixed as described above^ so they are totally customisable! Xxx

Fran, with your lush hair I'm gonna totally believe your thoughts on it now! :D

Hmmm so it's a lol more special then?

I did wonder why she told me what brand it was and that it would be a little more expensive but that's what she wanted to go with, so I'm like yeah, let's see then. Once she's used that , she'll put the CC on (I have to bring that in)

In theory it sounds perfect but I'll soon find out.

Special? Hmmnn...well their shampoos on average retail for £20 each so I'd say yes, it's a lot more special lol.

The colour is made from 99% natural and organic plant and flower essences so its essentially damage free colouring. If its a "proper" Aveda salon you'll probably be given a lovely hand massage, head and shoulder massage and maybe even a makeup touch up included in the price of your colour service too. Let us know how it turns out. Where are you in the UK by the way?

You need to work in an Aveda salon Thiago. You can't buy Aveda colour from anyone except Aveda and they choose which salons they will work with. Whereabouts in the country are you?

This aveda is such a hard work then lol. I heard the colours were cheap? Ns big tubes?

I'm in Hampshire ;) x

This aveda is such a hard work then lol. I heard the colours were cheap? Ns big tubes?

I'm in Hampshire ;) x

Lol. Nope, they're not cheap, but they are worth paying the extra for. The N's are 80g tubes and the tones are 28g.

Not sure whereabouts you are in Hampshire, but if you're near Winchester there is a great Aveda salon called Mawson and Company that you could visit (maybe get your hair cut there or try out a men's facial/massage) or even...get your colour done ;)

Anyway, pop in and get a consultation to get a feel of what a typical Aveda salon is like.

Meanwhile, here are some photos of Aveda salons in the UK :

http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/06/14/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-by-reis-design-london/
http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/01/16/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-flagship-by-reis-design-leeds/
http://retaildesignblog.net/2013/02/06/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-by-reis-design-bristol-uk/

Lol. Nope, they're not cheap, but they are worth paying the extra for. The N's are 80g tubes and the tones are 28g.

Not sure whereabouts you are in Hampshire, but if you're near Winchester there is a great Aveda salon called Mawson and Company that you could visit (maybe get your hair cut there or try out a men's facial/massage) or even...get your colour done ;)

Anyway, pop in and get a consultation to get a feel of what a typical Aveda salon is like.

Meanwhile, here are some photos of Aveda salons in the UK :

http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/06/14/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-by-reis-design-london/
http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/01/16/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-flagship-by-reis-design-leeds/
http://retaildesignblog.net/2013/02/06/aveda-lifestyle-salon-spa-by-reis-design-bristol-uk/

Ok thankssss so if I wanted to use aveda colours in my salon wouldn't be possible? Lol. X

Ok thankssss so if I wanted to use aveda colours in my salon wouldn't be possible? Lol. X

Yes, it would.

If you mean the salon where you work you would need to ask your boss to call Aveda and ask for someone to come out and check if they would supply her salon or not. They look at the amount of stylists employed, their experience, the salon and its decor, the area the salon is in and salon size etc. If your boss meets their requirements they will usually start you off with their hair range. From memory I think for the smallest size salon they do (a family salon) there needs to be at least 3 full time stylists and the salon needs to be in a middle class area.

I bet you only want the colour so you can get the free neck and shoulder massages off the juniors! Lol

oh you've made me realise how much i miss going to the Aveda salon in my town and blue malava(?) shampoo...the drawback of being a poor student lol xxx

oh you've made me realise how much i miss going to the Aveda salon in my town and blue malava(?) shampoo...the drawback of being a poor student lol xxx

What's this? Blue massages? Is that like blue movies?

What's this? Blue massages? Is that like blue movies?
your mind is in the gutter young man lol, where did you see blue massages lol xxx

Latest posts

Back