Average sets nail tech can do per day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussycatbeech

Reaction score
Hi!
I am currently writing a business plan and want to be doubly sure of the forecasts. In an 8/9 hour day how many sets would a nail tech do in an average day if they were fully booked? Offering l and p, shellac and minx...
Would you allow an hour per appt?

Really appreciate your input!
Cat

Personally I wouldnt want so many clients back to back. I would like to think that the next client can come in when the other client has left & I have had chance to clean the surfaces etc. 1 & half hours should be sufficient if someone is having an overlay (full prep, mini manicure & treatment etc). Depends on if you are going to offer a high end service for a high end price or cheap & cheerful - 4 sets as a mobile tech is enough for me :) but obviously im having to take into account pack up & travel so maybe 5 or possibly 6 persons for yourself ??

I do lots of treatments so dont just do nail teching (is that a real word?) , however the most I could do in an 8 hour day would be 5 ( I can do in an hour and 10 mins but I have taken into account, consult forms, taking coats, paying ,giving aftercare etc.

tigi
xxx

In our place we booking 2hrs for each acrylic customer, doesnt matter is it infill or new set, 1hr for permanent nail polish. If we have only acrylics we can do 5 sets per day (we open from 10am till 7pm). Hope it will help :)

Thanks so much for your answers everyone!! We have someone taking coats and making cups of tea so its just pure nails! How much time do you allow for shellac and minx? xx

For Shellac application 1 hour on a complete newbie. If they are returning though & there original Shellac needs soaking off, then your going to have to allow for more time there too.

BUT

Saying all this is all very well and good. For you to get these timings you would normally have been doing these for while & will have got good timings under your belt. If your completely new to Shellac / Minx Applications your timings will be a completely different story & you really shouldnt put too much pressure on yourself to fit so many in. Remember its more about Quality rather than Quantity... ;)

It varies.

I allow 2 hrs for a new set of tip & overlay
1 hr for infills
1.5 for backfills
1hr for Shellac or 1.5 for Shellac removal and reapply

45 mins for spray tan (still quite new so I take my time, and have to set tent up and down each time)

I like to allow 15 mins in between each one and defo an hour or so for lunch
I do a few evenings as well so on some days I might do 5 or 6 inthe daytime and 1 or 2 in the evening . . . but I would hate every day to be like that (although I would be much more wealthy lol)

In a 8 hour day. 8 sets of acrylic or 16 sets of overlays....

It's like clients are on a conveyabelt lol straight in and out!! X

Shellac applied to bare nails 45 mins tops, to remove and re-do 1hr. I don't book my clients back to back, I like to have my area cleaned and be ready for my next client with their record card and the offer of a drink. Their 'time-out' with you for nails or whatever done is precious to them, they certainly don't want to feel rushed xx

Thanks very much Lisa, how long does it take you to do minx or a standard polish mani or pedi? x

Hi Rachel,
How come you are half the time of everyone else at acrylics?! What system do you use? :)

I book an hour out for minx, 50 mins for a pedi with normal polish (give yourself time to tidy up though), and 45 mins for a mani with normal polish (don't do these anymore though, everyone wants either shellac or gelish). Your timings will depend how long you have been doing all these, it used to take me longer when I first started out, give yourself more time opposed to less xx

Hi Rachel,
How come you are half the time of everyone else at acrylics?! What system do you use? :)

Cos I have no choice babe. Theyre our salon timings 1hr for acrylic/gel exts and 30 mins for gel overlay!!

Use creative acrylic and bio gel

X x

Wow! I'm shocked that salons take into account greeting clients and taking coats and making tea... Personally I would never let staff think they have to take more time to do this cos it only takes 1 minuet. I hope I don't sound rude- I don't mean it that way... It just depends how you have always worked.

We book out-
Acrylic-1hour ( some clients take 30mins- I no is quick but some clients have easy nails to do)

Manicures/shellac and anything else really only 30mins as we catch up on trimmings at 1 point in the day if we run 5mins behind- which isn't often at all.
Clients don't mind as they love being in the salon for the relax/ chat/ experience.

This makes staff make realise that nothing's too much, not to panic and fit in as many clients as possible. - not everyone will agree with that but, if you start working like this it gets easy and the day goes so quick. It may sound too much but it's really not. I love working like this and it's never been a problem.

I did some temp work for a friend in her nail bar once, she works on her own but is very popular and always fully booked. Was working 10-11 hour days and doing 10-11 clients. All acrylics. Full sets or infills. 1hour per client.
It was hell! Not what Im used to and i don't know how she does it everyday!! But she makes good money and is good at her job!
Normally i allow 1h 15mins for infills and full sets. 45 mins for shellac and minx. ..... That's more like it!! :p
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I work for myself and don't have to answer to anybody regarding timings etc., the reason I work for myself is that I never wanted to work in a salon where clients are on a conveyer belt, one in - one out, as fast a possible. My clients are very important to me and giving them a rushed treatment just isn't in my nature, they all comment on how refreshing it is to come somewhere where they are not rushed in and out and a good job is always done, in a relaxed atmosphere, hence diary booked up constantly, weeks in advance.
I understand it is different if you run your own salon with staff etc. and maybe need to keep them on their toes and you have much more pressure with bills etc. Its just different situations for different people xx

I agree Lisa. After working in that situation I wasn't enjoying my job and I can't imagine for a minute the clients were enjoying it!
I guess for some people it works, some clients may literally want to be 'in and out' but id safely say mine don't and I much prefer making them feel a little special and pampered. Happy me. Happy client. :p
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I work for myself and don't have to answer to anybody regarding timings etc., the reason I work for myself is that I never wanted to work in a salon where clients are on a conveyer belt, one in - one out, as fast a possible. My clients are very important to me and giving them a rushed treatment just isn't in my nature, they all comment on how refreshing it is to come somewhere where they are not rushed in and out and a good job is always done, in a relaxed atmosphere, hence diary booked up constantly, weeks in advance.
I understand it is different if you run your own salon with staff etc. and maybe need to keep them on their toes and you have much more pressure with bills etc. Its just different situations for different people xx

Totally agree. This is me down to a "T". I think without the pressures of salon overheads and staff to pay and everything, you look at things very differently. xx

The salon I am in is my own so that I take into accoutn tea making consult froms pay and aftercare etc. its because i do it all which is why I accounted the time in if that makes sense? but I know quite a lot of you lovely ladies and gents will have a receptionist etc, but I dont so its down to me. if I didnt have to do that it would take me an hour to do a set regardless of what they wanted. xxx

I agree with Lisa S

I hate when I have to rush a client it's a pet hate in fact ;-) x

Latest posts

Back