Average wage for nail technician in the UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie20

Reaction score
Hi
I cant seem to find any info on the web so thought this would be the best bet-I am looking to start a course and was wondering can anyone tell me what is the average wage for a nail technician?
thank you!

Hi
Obviously, when you are newly qualified and you are self employed, you wont be able to charge your clients the full price as you wont be experienced. So you will be charging at least £10-£15 per client.

When you are experienced and you are self employed then prices start from £35 per set.

If you are even more experienced your skills are up to date, you work within set time limits then the hourly rates is from £6.00, depending on what area you live in.

Hi
Obviously, when you are newly qualified and you are self employed, you wont be able to charge your clients the full price as you wont be experienced. So you will be charging at least £10-£15 per client.

When you are experienced and you are self employed then prices start from £35 per set.

If you are even more experienced your skills are up to date, you work within set time limits then the hourly rates is from £6.00, depending on what area you live in.

how about just getting a job in a salon?

The wages start from £6 per hour if you are experienced....

i think this totally depends on your wearabouts, i only get £5.05 per hour and i think i can safely say im experienced

That's shocking Glynis, you are worth way more than that!

i think this totally depends on your wearabouts, i only get £5.05 per hour and i think i can safely say im experienced

OMG Glynnis :eek: ,is that the minimum wage ? I know that the min is going up to £5.35 soon,but you are worth far more than that :confused: .Tell your boss you have been head hunted,she will give you a pay rise then :!:

I have just taken a part time job at the minimum wage,this is because she is paying for me some training and i get 35% commission on retail,i will also still be doing my reagular clients whilst getting some industrial experience.If this were not the case,there would be no way i would work for that.

Glynnis why don't you hire a table somewhere as you only need to do one set a day at £35 pounds to make your present wage if you work 7 hrs a day so you would be making much more money (what you are worth).

Obviously if you're happy stay but I stayed in a job working the minimum wage thinking I owed them something for giving me the job. I didn't, it was them that owed me. I now only need to do 6 hrs work a week (that's 4 or 5 clients) to make what I made doing 37 hrs of work in a salon!!! shocking really (I'm a beauty therapist by the way) :)

this Is why I worry-there is no way I can live in £5 an hour but I really want to do this-and I worry If I tried to just do it on my own Iwouldnt know how or I wouldnt be able to-I know it sounds silly but I justdont want to do a course if Im not going to be able to go anywhere with it?

I am quite shocked these replies. I was under the impression the the nail industry was quite lucrative for an experienced tech. especially if your charging £35 a set. I would presume you could easily do at least 2 sets a day, surely earning £70 a day is more than £5-6 per hour? (of course you have to buy your own products etc)
I respect that its not every day until your clientelle is well established though.
Even still, as I say, I am quite shocked. JMO. xx:green:

Yes Tsia but when you are employed it is at a different rate hun to compensate for the fact that you are guaranteed a wage no matter how many clients you do.You do not buy your own products either,there are no responsibilities as such,hth x

hi guys, im a little shocked to hear that the wage will be so low if you work for someone else, i thought it would be higher as doing nails is a skill that not everybody can do, and true skill should be rewarded. Does anyone think that the nss salons are maybe making the wages lower due to the fact that alot of clients still chose these salons over professional ones? (sorry to bring nss into it i was just wondering) xxxx

I am quite shocked these replies. I was under the impression the the nail industry was quite lucrative for an experienced tech. especially if your charging £35 a set. I would presume you could easily do at least 2 sets a day, surely earning £70 a day is more than £5-6 per hour? (of course you have to buy your own products etc)
Don't forget that in ANY business whether it be nails, beauty or a greengrocers you have to pay accountants fees, taxes, NI contributions, rent, business insurance, bank fees, products, further training etc, the list goes on...
It soon adds up and these costings have to be taken into consideration before you even think about paying wages to staff let alone yourself, it isn't as easy and simple as peeps think it is :wink2:

Don't forget that in ANY business whether it be nails, beauty or a greengrocers you have to pay accountants fees, taxes, NI contributions, rent, business insurance, bank fees, products, further training etc, the list goes on...
It soon adds up and these costings have to be taken into consideration before you even think about paying wages to staff let alone yourself, it isn't as easy and simple as peeps think it is :wink2:

Yes, I realise that there is loads to think about. So do you calculate your 'wage' or 'income' after expenses then?

So do you calculate your 'wage' or 'income' after expenses then?
Ofcourse... you can't pay yourself a wage before you've paid for your overheads!

Ofcourse... you can't pay yourself a wage before you've paid for your overheads!
Ah I see. Thanks Sandi, I must be a bit slow today...(same an any other) LOL xx:lol:

yes I was quite shocked -this is why I am a tad worried as Its something I want to do but the wage is really low!!

yes I was quite shocked -this is why I am a tad worried as Its something I want to do but the wage is really low!!
the only thing that is going to earn you lots of money is patience,you will need lots of this as it takes quite a while for peeps to get to know of you and even more damn hard work,if your going to be working for your self it could be 2 years before you even make a wage:cry: so if you want a definate wage every week get a job in a salon, the wage will be national minimum at first as you wont have the experience that salons often require, what ever you choose to do with your future good luck and make sure it is something that you enjoy:hug:

thanks-well I went and enrolled at college today and start next wednesday so I thought I may as well give it my best shot-If nothing else its something to fall back on!

thanks-well I went and enrolled at college today and start next wednesday so I thought I may as well give it my best shot-If nothing else its something to fall back on!
good luck hun xxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back