Awful customer In 2020

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah2422

Reaction score
Hi guys need some advise did a customer back in 2020 in July. She wanted ash hair I’d did tell her it take tome to build up to the Color. Anyway she decided it was to gold she she came back had a toner on then she said it was to ash. So she came back for a third visit and had it broken up with some dark blondes ect. She was really happy then a week later a receive a message saying she wants a full refund and for me to pay for her hair done before done else where. So as a good will gesture I did refund her.... then I later received a message in September asking for my insurance details was 9.00pm on the night so I blocked her as far as I was concerned there was nothing wrong with her hair and she has a full refund. I’ve now today in March 2021 has a letter arrive asking for my insurance details again. Otherwise she would seek advise. Has anyone and anything like this before

Do you have insurance?

Wow, she’s a really cheeky B and pushing her luck a bit too far. Ignore her and don’t reply.
The only person who can make a claim on your insurance is you. Clients have no automatic rights to your insurance details.

Unfortunately, your first mistake was in being too passive and offering her free re-do’s when you hadn’t done anything wrong. You should only offer to rectify something for free IF you know you’ve made a mistake either with the consultation being inadequate or not doing a reasonable job of the service you agreed to. If the client changes her mind and doesn’t like the end result, that’s on them. If you think it’s a genuinely distressed client, you could offer a re-do but if they’re constantly returning and complaining, refuse to re-book them.

You only offer a refund if what you did didn't turn out as promised, so a colour that washes straight out or a perm that drops out within a couple of weeks and they don’t want to accept a re-do.

It wasn’t really ‘a goodwill gesture’ to refund her. It was you being too afraid to say ‘NO’ to her. You need to grow a much thicker skin and to learn how to spot a chancer.

There are a few Scammers out there who can smell your anxiety a mile off and will make it their mission to rob you blind. They will move on to their next victim when you stand up to them. They want refunds not because you did anything wrong, they just want cash to spend on things like booze and drugs. They are not genuine clients.

The Legal Position:

A client has no legal redress just because they don’t like their cut or colour.
They can only sue you if you cause physical harm to them, for example; they fall over a trailing lead, suffer chemical burns on their scalp or burning their skin with a hot wand.

That’s really bad. That customer sounds like someone who may have tried this trick elsewhere. Don’t let her come back to you ever again!
Anyway I hope you do have the insurance. Xx

Sometimes you just can’t keep everyone happy. There’s always the chancers too!
Sometimes you get caught on a wave of everything turning out great and then you hit one like this and it gives you a big kick up the arse!
I learned to draw a hard line very quickly, know your limits with a clients hair and make sure they know their limits too, what they use at home, the condition, what they’ve originally had in before you touched it all plays a part so don’t be hard on yourself and remind them of that fact when they complain also telling them getting a perfect colour takes time and not the instant one visit people sometimes assume. They look at Instagram and see makeovers and think it’s easy that’s why a lot of hairdressers are putting timescales on their posts now. it’s so important to point this out at consultation stage now
If she was going down the insurance route she’d have to either make a claim against you i. E. Send you court letter or you’d get a lawyers letter asking for compensation.
Shes not doing that atm so think she’s poss just trying it on. Don’t give out insurance details.
it’s up to you wether you chose to ignore her or not - sometimes not a good thing as they may just go to social media if you don’t offer any form of resolution. But that would really go against her in any court hearing/compensation claim.
It’s really your call wether she is a chancer or a genuine client.
I’d advise getting a third party to do any negotiations if you can - it would be easier to diffuse the situation that way and do everything in writing/email so it’s documented. Also state that the refund was a gesture of goodwill and not any admission of wrong doing on your part.
I don’t know what your working situ is but offer a discount with another hairdresser, treatments and blow dry with a junior maybe..? But again it’s your call and wether you want damage limitation. Don’t colour yourself again though, I’d definitely body swerve that one haha
Best of luck though
And don’t stress - remember we all had it!

Just ignore her

Thanks guys I feel so sick with worry... I mean has been 8 months there was nothing wrong with her hair colour or hair. It’s a awful thing to try and do to someone.

Attachments

• F2C91777-AC87-44FB-B475-B753DF89BE4B.jpeg
    F2C91777-AC87-44FB-B475-B753DF89BE4B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • 6ADBBD0C-5B3D-420B-BE6B-E44F88C4B3AB.jpeg
    6ADBBD0C-5B3D-420B-BE6B-E44F88C4B3AB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • 593D317E-EA48-423D-9419-4F8C39F91805.jpeg
    593D317E-EA48-423D-9419-4F8C39F91805.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
Is that her?
wow it’s beautiful what is she complaining for!!!! And 8 months Hahahaha mental..... she’s got no chance.
She’s obviously on the OCD/neurotic side of the scale hahaha
and like a dog with a bone!
it’s hard not to be emotionally attached to this that’s why it’s best to get a third party to deal with complaints like this.
keep an eye out on social media for any slanderous comments and screenshot them and threaten HER with legal action if she’s gets back in touch. It’s a shame clients think they have to be so nasty like this- perception of colour is different in everyone and sometimes it just takes a little time. You’ve put a lot of time and effort in obviously. There really is no need and it’s not nice to see.
I blame Social media #bekind

She's had 8 months siting at home with nothing to do, it's probably affected her mental health, or else she's bored out of her mind, has no money and is creatively trying to come up with scams to make a quick buck.
Shame on her, the photos above look beautiful, what the hell is she complaining about now? 8 months later. The woman's a chancer. What an earth would an insurance company be paying out for anyway, there is nothing physically wrong with her hair. And she should count herself lucky getting a refund out of you back last year. Maybe that's why she's trying to intimidate you now, because you paid out once before.
You owe her nothing.

Thanks guys I feel so sick with worry... I mean has been 8 months there was nothing wrong with her hair colour or hair. It’s a awful thing to try and do to someone.

Sarah2422 welcome to salon geek.

I feel for you, I really do, because I’ve been there, we’ve all been had by a client along the way.

Look at it this way. If you were working for someone, would your boss have been happy with you redoing twice for free and then refunding? You’d have been properly bollocked wouldn’t you?

You did the right thing by blocking her, hold your nerve. Focus on all the lessons she’s taught you about the importance of managing client expectations, clear communication about what is and isn’t possible and the discovery that being too nice doesn’t create an ecstatic client who loves you and sings your praises but a nightmare that has you hiding under the duvet!

You’ve learnt a huge amount. You’d have paid for more for a business master class. Be wiser, firmer and set those boundaries from now on,

Should I send a email and respond or wait?

Ignore. Ignore, ignore. Wait for a solicitors letter (you won’t get one).

Ignore. Ignore, ignore. Wait for a solicitors letter (you won’t get one).
Okay thank you. I’ve been hairdressing for 17 years never once had anything like this

The color came out gorgeous. Some people just push their luck way too far. I had something similar happen to me once--- let me tell you, she has NOOO legal case here. No one can sue you for not liking their hair or color. Even IF you butchered it which hunny no way did you do that.

The colour is stunning ignore her.
The way to avoid this is to have a thorough consultation then everything is on paper signed by the both of you. That signature this their agreement to what is discussed.
I would have not have given her 1 single penny back.
You have photographs to prove that there is nothing wrong with it and messages about her requesting it to be more ash. You did as requested and have nothing more to worry about. I would maybe message her reminding her of her requests and photos you have taken.Xx

Latest posts

Back