Awful morning...just need to offload

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeakydee

Reaction score
Sorry to offoad, I need a bit of a rant and a moan :(

One of my gorgeous ladies came for her nails this morning and we were discussing her poor father's alzheimers condition which had deteriorated. I have been doing her nails for years and remember when her father had been initially diagnosed, he was so young, only in his 60's.

Her phone had been ringing constantly towards the end of her appointment and she chose to ignore it (I'm quite flexible about clients taking the odd call when I'm working). Just as we finished, her phone rang again and it was her husband telling her that her father had just passed away.

Poor Sue, she was absolutely beside herself with grief. I cried too, it was so awful. I can't hep but feel guilty that she with me when she heard, although my husband said at least she was with someone and not on her own.

There is so much more to being a nail tech or beauty therapist, especially if you run your own business. Not only do you have to be at the top of your game to stay ahead of the competition, but you have to be ready for every possible situation that is thrown at you and know how to deal with it. One minute my client and I were having a great chat, the next, she was devastated at the news she had just received.

Some people may still believe that our profession is 'for those who can't do anything else' (I get that feeling sometimes when I'm asked what I do), but if those people spent just a few days sitting my side of the nail table, they wouldn't be quite so quick to judge. I love my work, I care about my clients and I'm damned proud of what I do!

Sorry, a bit emotional today I guess, too many things going on at once.

Have a great weekend everyone xx

Gosh how awful, poor her, and poor you. You sound so nice, at least she was with you when she received the news.

You are so right when you say that there is so much more to doing this job, and I too pick up those vibes (esp when a teenybop client sat there discussing mutual friends with her pal while I was doing her nails and said that "Ellie's doing a beauty course because she's not really very bright") :irked::irked:

Take it easy on yourself this weekend, that sounds like one stressful morning. x:hug:

Aww that's awful hun, bless you. I feel sad now :-( xx

:sad: poor both of you, yes at least you was with her, to comfort her bless you, sending hugs, not nice getting bad news :cry::cry:

The truth is many people with "normal jobs" simply couldn't be what we are.
Being in your presence at that moment was no coincidence. It was of grand design, and to have such a caring and understanding friend/tech., like yourself close to her at her very moment of need, indicates you were the very best person in her life to help her with that initial shock of bad news.
I believe we are chosen for this vocation, as the frustration, missed appointments, raging/whacky clients, and ups and downs would deter the vast majority of people from the field.
Sending compassionate energies and thoughts to you and your friend... have a blessed day!

Wow this is where our job title of beauty THERAPIST really comes into its own, I agree with the last post and just wanted to add that we are all human at the end of the day and it just shows what a good relationship you have with her, big hugs to all x

You sound like a great therapist who is passionate about her work, her clients and her work ethic, and I am certain that as your husband said; the fact that she was with you, a friendly face who knew her situation and could comfort her and genuinely understand, rather than on her own out in the middle of the street, will have made a huge difference to her.

Hugs xx

Ah that's really sad .... Bless you and your poor lady. I feel really sad now:hug:

Ahh, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your kind words. It's not often I have a whinge but today was just one of those emotional days :(

Everyone have a great Saturday night, and thanks again xx

So sad reading your post.. So true a lot more to our job than people realise and at least ur client was with someone who cared about her xxx

They say that people who lose family members to Dementia or Alzheimer's grieve twice, one when the condition worsens and the person no longer knows who they are and again when they pass away. Often it's a relief to the people left behind.

People confide in therapists so much, don't feel guilty that you cried, it's a natural emotion and you had been through the whole process with her via your chats on her appointments.

Michelle x

Hi.
Im sorry to hear about your client today.Its an awful thing when it happens to a client,as when you have been looking after their hair/nails etc for years they become so much more than a client.They share alot of their problems with us and many tell us things they wouldnt dream of telling their own family/friends.
In our profession we really are so much more than we are sometimes given credit for.I have an amazing clientelle ive built up over the years.I have had the pleasure of seeing them on their wedding day,they come in with their new babies to show them off and then come back and choose to spend their time off with us all,many have also shared sad losses in their lives,bad divorces,lost children etc which says alot.
I sometimes get to the end of a busy week and feel like im carrying emotional baggage from each and every client that have sat in my chair that week and it can really get to me.
I normally have a large glass of wine and think that at least they feel better for having shared their problems with me and that makes me realise that is probably the biggest part of our jobs.
Keep your chin up and be glad that at least you were with her when she got the call.
Our jobs really are more than "just" a hair/beauty proffessional.
x

Oh I'm so sorry for your client and sad for you too, but thank goodness she wasn't alone and was with you, who she obviously trusts.
Sending huge hugs to you, i hope you're ok xo

The truth is many people with "normal jobs" simply couldn't be what we are.
Being in your presence at that moment was no coincidence. It was of grand design, and to have such a caring and understanding friend/tech., like yourself close to her at her very moment of need, indicates you were the very best person in her life to help her with that initial shock of bad news.
I believe we are chosen for this vocation, as the frustration, missed appointments, raging/whacky clients, and ups and downs would deter the vast majority of people from the field.
Sending compassionate energies and thoughts to you and your friend... have a blessed day!

Lovely words xx

Latest posts

Back