Awkward Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I would appreciate a bit of advice dealing with a pain in but client that I have. I have two ladies that I go to every 4 weeks; client 1 and client 2. They live 25 miles away from me (I'm a mobile therapist), so obviously 50 mile round trip, I don't charge them anymore in mileage coz I thought seeing both of them would make me enough money to cover diesel costs, etc. However, client 2, every month for the last three years, rings me up to try and change her appointment time; can I go earlier, can I go later, can I go another day. I have tried to explain to her that it is not economically viable for me to go to client 1 one day and her another day. So, I'm due to see these clients on monday and client two rings me and says can I come today so I explained that I'm fully booked and can't come until Monday. She rings back an hour later to say that she's found someone else to do her pedi this time, but she wants me to come back next time in four weeks. Now, I'm not steaming coz she's gone elsewhere, I'm indispensible, but she just can't seem to get into her head that I can't afford to be going to see just one client there but I don't want to let client 1 down. Sorry about the waffling, just really cross. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do I just call it quits or put the price up (I haven't put my prices up since I started three years ago), or just shut up and put up?
Thanks in advance

Hey Guys

I would appreciate a bit of advice dealing with a pain in but client that I have. I have two ladies that I go to every 4 weeks; client 1 and client 2. They live 25 miles away from me (I'm a mobile therapist), so obviously 50 mile round trip, I don't charge them anymore in mileage coz I thought seeing both of them would make me enough money to cover diesel costs, etc. However, client 2, every month for the last three years, rings me up to try and change her appointment time; can I go earlier, can I go later, can I go another day. I have tried to explain to her that it is not economically viable for me to go to client 1 one day and her another day. So, I'm due to see these clients on monday and client two rings me and says can I come today so I explained that I'm fully booked and can't come until Monday. She rings back an hour later to say that she's found someone else to do her pedi this time, but she wants me to come back next time in four weeks. Now, I'm not steaming coz she's gone elsewhere, I'm indispensible, but she just can't seem to get into her head that I can't afford to be going to see just one client there but I don't want to let client 1 down. Sorry about the waffling, just really cross. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do I just call it quits or put the price up (I haven't put my prices up since I started three years ago), or just shut up and put up?
Thanks in advance

Maybe you should just try and find clients nearer - they are not indispensible either!

Seems a long way to travel just for 2 clients never mind 1.
You may be better putting your energies into your closer geographics!

Hi,
I agree with Matt. Try to find clients nearer to home.
But if you do want to continue with these clients, tell them that you are only in their area on that particular day. Then try and find more clients in that area on same day, eg: With leaflet drop saying in your area on ??? day every week or month.
With the rising cost of fuel you really need to put your prices up. Or put a fuel charge on for clients over a certain mileage.
I charge more for doing a mobile spray tan than one I do here in my own salon. I charge for my extra time and fuel, not a lot, but I do put extra £5 onto my price.
Hope this helps x x x x

Thanks for your replies. When I set up my business three years ago, I just went anywhere to get the business but now I'm well established and have got a good client base. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere. I am hoping to start up my own salon towards the end of next year when my youngest child starts school. Most of my clients live within a 15 mile radius, but I have about 5 clients that do live about 50 miles away (round trip) and I don't know whether to write to them and say something along the lines of "increased costs, etc, it's not feasible to carry on seeing them anymore" or "I'm putting my prices up". I'm just really unsure what to do. These clients have been with me from the start and I feel like I would be letting them down, but on the ruthless side, I am trying to run a business.

Heya, just change your radius to 15 miles. Contact the clients who live far away and explain to them that you are no longer covering longer distances. Dont offer an alternative, tell them that if you start up from home they are welcome to come to you (see how THEY like the long distance then!). Be firm, you must be firm. Then put your prices up, even if its only bye a pound or a couple pounds per treatment. Think of it this way, if you have say 20 clients one week and you put your prices up by say 2 pounds on some treatments, the individual is only paying an extra couple quid, but you are earning an extra 40 pounds per week AND you will be saving time, petrol and money bye not going to the long distance clients so thats even more money you will be earning. Sounds good doesnt it, you will get more respect from people and your business if you do this, otherwise your clients will run rings around you, and think, shes so cheap compared to everyone else. Do it, it will be a weight off your mind and life will inprove for you x

I wonder if you could suggest to her in a roundabout way to have some sort of pamper party or ask if she has any friends that would like treatments at the same time as her? That way it would be more worth your while.

Just introduce a simple mileage policy and notify you clients accordingly.

Something along the lines of: "Due to increased fuel costs, I have now had to introduce a mileage policy. As of xx/xx/11 the following rates will apply:
clients within a 15 mile radius, no charge,
clients within a 20 mile radius, £x per appointment
clients with a 25 mile radius, £y per appointment"

and just leave it at that.

I believe in keeping valued clients. Sounds to me she's no longer one of those. Let her go.

Maybe you could send out an email to clients that you will be charging an increased price on treatments if they live in a certain area or inform them that your prices are increasing after three years in the business which is totally understandable.

Good luck!:hug:

Hi there,
I live in the middle of the country and do mobile, so I need to travel quite far to get to the different villages and towns. I solved the problem by having a minimum spend on mobile treatments varying on how far I have to travel. If a client lives say 14 miles away and just wants some waxing done I encourage them to invite some friends over to have treatments done at the same time so the minimum spend is soon more than covered, I have no minimum spend if they come to my home salon (converted summerhouse).

Maybe suggest to this client that she invites a friend or friend(s) over to have some treatments done at the same time so its more worth your while?? xx

Just introduce a simple mileage policy and notify you clients accordingly.

Something along the lines of: "Due to increased fuel costs, I have now had to introduce a mileage policy. As of xx/xx/11 the following rates will apply:
clients within a 15 mile radius, no charge,
clients within a 20 mile radius, £x per appointment
clients with a 25 mile radius, £y per appointment"

and just leave it at that.

I think elliebee has nailed it with the above.

From what I'm reading, you don't really mind losing client 2 but that if you do not do client 2, then you would not be able to justify still treating client 1. Because client 1 has been loyal for the past three years you feel you should still offer her your services. Elliebee's suggestion would possibley allow you to carry on treating client 1 while lossing client 2.

Sam xx

I agree with ellibee
just tell her if she changes it to another day you will have to charge mileage as it is not viable for just one client!

Latest posts

Back