B4 colour stripper

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is colour strippin IS colour correction.Well it is in my salon anyway.
I wouldnt advertise a colour strip,and literally just strip it out,i would treat befire and after,then apply a colour to even it out or take it to the shade the cliet wants,then cut and blo dried or just blo dried,but either way its sometimes a 4 hour job using alot of product,so if you advertised a colour strip AND put the price on show,its still going to be more than a few quid.It wont be a cheap option for anyone in a salon due to the labour time plus products etc,but thats what clients pay for,the stylists experience and time and most importantly than all a great job done!
I dont have a prob with people going to shops and buying a home brand stripper,its the knowledge behind it.
If your using it on a client its different as you are a hairsresser so have knowledge of gair and experience,where as if a client is going to buy it and use it themselves,disaster awaits more often than not and then they have to pay for their mistake to be rectified.

Its like saying you could pull your own teeth out,you donr need to be a dentist to know how to do it!!

I know that colour stripping is part of the colour correction process, but even if you use the professional products, the client is almost always left with very warm tones in the hair, so surely the colour correction would include toning or highlights afterwards which could be the POA service? Could you offer stripping at a similar price to perming, with the blow-dry afterwards, and any other colour correction is an add-on on top?

I know what you're saying though, it's a difficult one to specify but I've been looking at some way of trying to quantify the colour correction service as I've had several comments about the POA being 'scary'. When I've quoted, they're often pleasantly surprised, but I do wonder how many people don't even bother to ask and head off to Boots?

However, to use your analogy, Boots do sell temporary fillings kits and dental scraping tools to clean your teeth up. I have a friend who's a dental hygienist and she quite often gets people in who've damaged their gums and enamel by having a go at their own teeth so I don't think the problem's limited to our industry!

People will always want the cheap option and sacrifice quality, particularly at the moment where everyone's tightening their belts - I think we need to find ways to highlight the benefits of using a professional rather than messing hair up at home to the point where the only thing that can help it is a crop!

Hey i know a few people who do the whole teeth scraping thing too!!Id be too frightened lol!
I get what your saying about the p o a thing on price lists.
On our price list in the salon its stated colour correction "from £50.00",and generally people will ask about what it entails etc and then we can explain about future colouring etc.
I have to say hand on my heart that when i do a colour strip and then an all over colour if the client doesnt want warm tones,they dont get them and i dont hi light to get them out either,I get the coverage and coolness with the one all over colour.
Sometimes we may add a few lighter tones just around the top section but 9 times out of ten the client wants the build up taken out and then a rich deep all over,although that will probably change with summer meant to be appearing soon!!

Some things clients can do at home,like touching up roots to keep them going abit longer and in this case we will give them advice on how best to get coverage etc and fringe trimming at home we tell them the best way as if theyre going to do it at least they dont look too bad in between appointments!,but colour stripping/colour correction to me will always be a salon job and i would never recommend anyone trying it at home first!!!

In this economical climate people are tightening their belts and so am i to a degree!!I have 3 children so its a struggle for everyone,however i still wouldnt attempt something that i feel should be left to professionals!!

.......Trots off to boots for a diy wax strip set .....:lick:

I get what your saying about the p o a thing on price lists.
On our price list in the salon its stated colour correction "from £50.00",and generally people will ask about what it entails etc and then we can explain about future colouring etc.

Ooh, that's a good idea. It's an affordable price and gives them something to start with rather than a scary unknown!

colour stripping/colour correction to me will always be a salon job and i would never recommend anyone trying it at home first!!!

Couldn't agree more - SO many things could go wrong. A couple of weeks ago, I ended up giving a reluctant client a pixie crop from chin length hair. I have NEVER seen hair as bad as that before, you could literally run your hands through her hair, close your fingers and break the hair off that stuck out. It was all due to a constant cycle of Live XXL's, stripping, bleaching, re-colouring etc. etc. etc - tbh she looked like a depressed dandelion.

She told me she wanted to go really light again! I said there was NO way I was touching her hair or head with anything containing peroxide and the best thing she could do was cut the whole lot off, condition like no-one's business and PROMISE not to use XXL if she ever wanted to change her hair colour afterwards. So, I cut it all off (I really shouldn't have enjoyed it half as much as I did! :twisted:) conditioned it and will probably never see her again..

So, yeah, we do need to discourage people from using products like this at home. Or, make them carry a warning saying "USE of this product may lead to severe hair loss" :lol:

Latest posts

Back