B4 colour stripper

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celene

Reaction score
Hi has any hairdressers heard of this home stripper from boots ?i have clients in who have used it and has worked, and the reviews on it are really good!how annoying is this!!No wonder us hairdressers get annoyed!

I remember last year when that Great British Hairdresser was on TV the advert for this B4 colour remover used to come on I couldnt beleive it haha but oddly enough I was in Salon Services and overheard this conversation; someone came in and was saying that he was looking to remove colour from a clients hair and the two staff members said that B4 product from BOOTS?!! was really good which I just thought was nuts!! of all the products they could recommend haha

Last edited:
It does remove the colour but it leaves the hair nice and crispy too lol! I've seen people who have done it, it's lifted out the colour but they've just slapped it on and the roots have come up nice and yellow where the virgin hair had grown through! Not a very good look lol! :)

I've personally used that B4 colour stuff, total garb...

I've been home dying for years using the same make same colour and totally loving the vibrant effect I was getting so then I thought that if I stripped my hair back to a natural blinder colour I'd get an even more vibrant red... WRONG

I got crispy ends and a horrible shade when I went back to my usual red.. It's been 8 months now and the ends tho have been cut are still crispy and almost feel like stretching cheese strings when wet.
The apricot my hair used to fade to and the lovely shade it used to go is going to have to be build back up again

It's not a product I recommend.

I used it couple of years ago and I swear my hair has never been the same! It use to be quite glossy it's just getting there again as been so dry! I had dark brown hair put it on (right hassel) and went a ginger colour!!! I had to go straight out and buy a dye!
I would NEVER recommend it to anyone even with the reviews being good! X

Well it is about hair and I can't see any hairdressers here recommending it? And I think that newly qualified hairdressers who have maybe not heard of it need to be warned about the effects of it?

I personally have used it on my own hair when I wanted black out and it's horrible. I have got black out and it's a nice chocolate brown now but my hair lacks shine and is so dry. The ends feel crispy and iv had it all cut off into a "frankie" from the Saturday's style just to rid most of the damage. The only way I'm ever going to get my hair back into the same condition before I used that horrid stuff is to wait for it to grow!
Id warn everyone not to use that stuff!!!

Hi has any hairdressers heard of this home stripper from boots ?i have clients in who have used it and has worked, and the reviews on it are really good!how annoying is this!!No wonder us hairdressers get annoyed!
Thanks folks!Good God!would never dream of trying this but my point was that there is far too many hair colours,toners,strippers etc out there to buy,which is killing off the salons!

I agree celene! They keep bringing out this sort of OTC rubbish for people to use at home and it causes hair catastrophes :(

I personally have used it on my own hair when I wanted black out and it's horrible. I have got black out and it's a nice chocolate brown now but my hair lacks shine and is so dry. The ends feel crispy and iv had it all cut off into a "frankie" from the Saturday's style just to rid most of the damage. The only way I'm ever going to get my hair back into the same condition before I used that horrid stuff is to wait for it to grow!
Id warn everyone not to use that stuff!!!

I agree only way to get hair back glossy is to grow it out and as I had long hair I was gutted! My boyfriend even says still "yr hair has never been right since!"
Hope ok to comment as 100% would not recommend! Awful stuff! X

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree celene! They keep bringing out this sort of OTC rubbish for people to use at home and it causes hair catastrophes :(

You hairdresser's must hate it when people come in asking you to put a mistake right! I'm ashamed to say I've done it myself a few times 😱x

It doesn't kill off salons just makes a stylists job harder. People will use a box colour, stripper, maybe a couple more box colours (some throw a bit of bleach on it), use the cheapest shampoo and conditioner on their hair no styling products. Then when half their hair is on the floor they go to a professional with their tail between their legs

The thing is, people can't afford to pay lots for hair these days so I can understand why they do DIY jobs :( some hair salons charge extortionate prices! I for one couldn't afford to have my roots done every 4 weeks costing £60 upwards, so it's a lose, lose situation :(

The amount of peoe i have seen on my facebook use this and then write status like please help my hair is ginger what colour do i now... I just laugh my head of i just comment saying i advice you to go to a hairdresser because at the end of the day it will cost you more in the long run which is true! Yes some work out ok but the majority end up a mess and end up running to hairdresser and they have also released a number of products and i just cant beleive it my self some people think colouring altering hair etc is soo easy well its not, but i jusy cant beleive some off the stuff they retail its scary

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Couldnt beleve it guys after posting last night about B4 colour a client came in today with bright orange hair!Her hair was a deep red,and yes it lifted it by all means,but i highlighted it and put 7.1 inbetween,she was happy with it,i think we will be seeing more of this happining,and yes you cant blame people because they cant afford to pay to get it stripped and recoloured!

Hey all just thought I'd throw my twopence worth in I have used the colour b 4 quite a few times although it feels dry after I applied it took all the bright red matrix permanant colour out and took me back to my highlighted blonde I was amazed no long term damage and after deep conditioner was back to normal condition I have fine hair so I was very happy! the ginger colour some have experienced is because the peroxide used when dying does lift your natural colour up even if you dye it black or brown so you will never go back to your natural colour after dying for so long...
so as no pro hairdressers I know of offer a similar treatment without bleaching or darkening then highlighting I'm sticking to colour b 4 ! Just to note it wont lift out semi perm crazy colours/fudge/manic panic etc as they are non oxidising colours :)

Juneloon your post will probably end up being removed later. Your not a hair pro but your in a hairdressing forum recommending a non professional product. One that can damage clients hair. Youre also saying salons do not have products to give the same result. Sorry but if you're not a hair pro how would you know?

Hey all just thought I'd throw my twopence worth in
so as no pro hairdressers I know of offer a similar treatment without bleaching or darkening then highlighting I'm sticking to colour b 4 !

Question: If you were shopping for the latest quality nail products would you start your search in your local chemist?

Of course there are better quality hair colour remover products available to pro hairdressers. Just because you aren't aware of them personally doesn't mean they don't exist. The stuff we have access to removes professional colours evenly and leaves hair in great condition.

The problem is where clients attempt DIY colour (Live XXL!) and home bleaching and then want us to work miracles...lol.

Most salons offer a service for taking chemical colour out of hair!!!!
How a non pro person can comment on that is a bit bizarre!!

And as for cost in salons for hair colouring,yes salons charge more but its not just about the product used.Its the service as a whole ie the consultation,the years of knowledge from the stylist and the professional products used in a salon are going to be better than a box colour for touching up.
If my clients find it too much to have roots done every 6 weeks or so they go 2 weeks longer and tie it up in between!
I find their are 2 types of clients.
The clients that go to a professional in a salon as they like having it done and want it to look the best it can,or the client that sees hair as a chore,ie want to have it done asap and as cheaply as possible.

I dont tend to have clients like the latter as they wont pay my prices,which is absolutly fine,i just like to concentrate on the clients that want my advice and experience and are happy to pay for that.

Diy hair doers will ultimately at some point ALWAYS end up getting some kind of help/advice from a professional as thats what we work and train so hard to be,A professional :D

Actually, I've had some really great results with colour B4. My local warehouse doesn't sell a colour remover, so I've used it on several people and found it's actually pretty good. Oddly enough, a couple of tutors at my college were the ones to recommend it.

It's not ideal that people are going out to the shops and buying this stuff, but if there's a demand for it then someone will supply it and I don't see that it's going to change.

I think part of the problem is that the colour correction process is a little esoteric and generally listed on pricelists as "price on application". Obviously, as hairdressers, we know that it's because you can't predict what a colour correction will entail, but for customers, I think this is off-putting. I know that if I can't see a price on a dress, chances are I won't ask, I'll just put it back and find something else.

Maybe if salons advertised "colour stripping" (with Blondie Rae or Eraser etc) as a service separate to colour correction with a price, then this might be more popular?

Just a thought?

Latest posts

Back