Baby boomer nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to achieve this latest trend? We use gel for our enhancements in the salon and shellac for our gel polish. Is it possible to do it with either or is it just an acrylic thing? My nail tech is tearing her hair out! Thank you all. Xx

I don't know anyone who has successfully mastered baby boomers with gel polish, yes there are videos on YouTube etc, of people doing it but each nail takes so long to do with a blending brush and it takes 2/3 layers to achieve good coverage, I'm not sure salons have that kind of time to dedicate to one client.

I went down the pigment route, but never found a white pigment that blended well, despite buying probably 6/7 different brands/makes.

It's certainly much simpler with L&P

I've been having a play with the new lecente powders
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1504709678.816684.jpg

The Lecente ones look great, but just too shimmery!

Been asked to do 3 brides this month all babyboomer but i only work in gel so am trying anything atm :( xx

I'm trying to upload a picture but it won't let me...

I use gel and these are the steps I follow.

Build white tip....not to the normal thickness...to half the size.....cure

Build pink up to meet white....but drag your gel slightly over the white so you now have both the same thickness all over the nail.....cure

Then take your file and slightly file downwards from the middle of the nail to tip so you are filing into the pink on the tip....this givea the fade effect.

Then top with your clear.
You don't get the same fade as acrylics but any of my clients that have went for it have being trilled.

Really wish I could upload a picture...im Woking from my phone...any advice?

All the pigments seem to have a shimmer - not all clients want shimmer. I tried the matt white pigment toi but it clumps and doesn't blend well
Fee Wallace did a fb live and put the new Matt top coat on and it took away shimmer. Not got that yet to try it out though!

I, as well, really hate doing baby boomer (ombre) on gel polish and if requested to do one, I charge extra, plus I try to convince the client to have only one or two fingers per hand. The best way you can achieve this look is by airbrushing - but that is a big investment, money wise.
Here is a video of how I do baby boomer (it's in russian, but I hope You will get the idea):
Ombre with airbrushing:

I, as well, really hate doing baby boomer (ombre) on gel polish and if requested to do one, I charge extra, plus I try to convince the client to have only one or two fingers per hand. The best way you can achieve this look is by airbrushing - but that is a big investment, money wise.
Here is a video of how I do baby boomer (it's in russian, but I hope You will get the idea):
Ombre with airbrushing:

I wonder if airbrushing will have another revival, I've still got my gun and kit from the last time we were all doing it about 12 years ago!

I wonder if airbrushing will have another revival, I've still got my gun and kit from the last time we were all doing it about 12 years ago!
It is some what popular in my country, but mosly due to one nail school, which promotes it, like a lot, however, they sell cheap "china" airbrush stuff for like 10 times the price. I know it's not a new technique, however, I am thinking of investing in airbrush gun etc. my self, because a lot of clients ask for horizontal ombre/baby boomer. Yet I haven't had the time to investigate which device to get and where to buy it.

Check out Fee Wallaces video using the new Lecente pigments. I know they're shimmery but she blended them with other powders and used different colours and top coats to give a more natural look. I saw a picture on the Lecente Facebook page where someone had blended a pigment with the pink and then used romantique on top of the blended pigments which looked good and took away shimmer

I use gel for babyboomers. I sculpt the nail with clear builder first, then use a white builder on the tips and feather up slightly... then a cover pink gel feathered down slightly... repeat steps, another layer of clear builder, file the thickness down, buff and refine then top coat. Maybe not exactly the same effect as with acrylic, but my clients have been thrilled with them x

Attachments

• 21078336_143490366143905_397374530177212434_n.jpg
    21078336_143490366143905_397374530177212434_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back