baby massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurab71

Reaction score
I have just been looking at the guild of beauty therapists insurance for future reference. In the things you can be insured with, which you can be insured are all the things i want to be insured for, i noticed about baby massage & massage for pregant women. I think that may be good to get into. It isnt a thing that seems to be offered & along with my swedish massage, aromatherapy massage, indian head massage & reflexology, i though i could maybe offer this service. I know you dont touch the baby, you just show the parent.( i wish someone had shown me when mine were little).
Does anyone know of how you would go on about getting on a course & who may offer these courses. Has anyone done a course on this? If so, how did it go & what did it entail.
I think it may be a good thing to do. All advice appreciated,
Laura.x.:confused:

Hi Laura,

I am trained in baby massage, I did a course with the IAIM (International Association of Infant Massage) in 1999. It is a fab course, think it was 4 full days and its the course that the Health visitors, midwives, and sure start go on.

Although I was very busy with teaching (did about 4 classes a week) when I first qualified, the market is now saturated with free classes offered by health visitors, midwives and sure start, so I don't get asked for the classes as obviously I charge.

I also am employed by Seaham Hall Serenity Spa to teach baby massage.

Check out my old website to get a flavour of what its all about:

This is The North East | CommuniGate | Infant/Baby Massage Classes

please feel free to ask any questions.

I was guest speaker at one of the AGM's a few years ago.

Google IAIM, its based in London, but they train all over the UK.

The book by Vimala Schneider, who is the founder of the association based in USA, is very good way to start.

Thanks so much for the help. Ohhhh, 1`m not too bothered if these midwives & others are getting trained in this. I wont let them put me off. If i want to expand my career then i will get trained up on other things.
I have had a look at your website & it looks great. I have put it into my favs. I did find a place in london- the body basic school of massage. But i will look into these others that you sent me.
I am really greatful for the hepl & info you have given to me.
Thanks for the help,
Laura.x.:)

hiya , im not trained in infant massage but when my daughter mollie was 8 weeks + i went to a mothers group that offered this the health visiter demonstrated what to do with a pretend lifelike baby doll . mollie always kept her legs up toher chest ! and i believe massage encouraged her to move more . it was fab and the babies loved it ! even tho its free if u attend a group we didnt do it all the time and i think its a great service u can offer new mums at there homes. we used olive oil not massage oil as this was kinder to the childs skin . i think some mums would love it if u went to there houses and offered this service as some women cant or wont attend classesf or various reasons postnatally .
u would then also maybe keep them as clients themselves to offer ur other services . u can get insured with lots of companys with around 16 hrs training under r belt . also there are fewer massage movements to learn on a child. its a good way to encourage u childs movement in legs and arms etc . good luck!! as i said i cant offer any course advice but as a parent i cant recomend it enough !

anybody knows somebody who does this freelance in edinburgh?

i am looking for somebody who would be interested to do it my salon.

pm me if any info.

thanks

All this help & positive answers has made me want to do it even more now. I think it would go down well in homes, as myself, when i was a mother, i didn`t want to take my babies to mothers n toddlers, as i found the atmosphere to clicky, so i never went. I would have loved it if someone had agreed to come to my house to do some treatment.
But yeh, i defo think it will be good to have under my belt for the future. As the girl from Edinburgh said, she is looking for someone to offer it in her salon.So, yeh, i think it something to look into.
The only downfall is, i live near Sheffield ( south yorkshire) & the only place i have found so far that does a course in this is a body school in London, 4 hrs away. But hey, you gotta scrafice havn`t you.
Thanks girlies,
Laura.x:lol:

Hi Laura
I own a private beauty, massage and holistic training centre in Southampton. My baby massage course is VTCT accredited and one of my most popular courses. Two days in total. Only have small classes and have very friendly working environment. visit www.traininginbeauty.co.uk
Bye for now
Kim

thansk for that. I am gonna have a read of the ino. My local college doesnt do it but i am gonna look at this.
Thanks again,
Laura.

I have just been looking at the guild of beauty therapists insurance for future reference. In the things you can be insured with, which you can be insured are all the things i want to be insured for, i noticed about baby massage & massage for pregant women. I think that may be good to get into. It isnt a thing that seems to be offered & along with my swedish massage, aromatherapy massage, indian head massage & reflexology, i though i could maybe offer this service. I know you dont touch the baby, you just show the parent.( i wish someone had shown me when mine were little).
Does anyone know of how you would go on about getting on a course & who may offer these courses. Has anyone done a course on this? If so, how did it go & what did it entail.
I think it may be a good thing to do. All advice appreciated,
Laura.x.:confused:

Hi Laura,

If you take a look at our Training Directory, you will find a list of Guild Accredited courses. Click here, then in the second box, type Baby Massage in the 'Training Course Name' Field, and then enter your postcode. This will bring up courses which are nearest to you.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back