Back support

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linzy-lou

Reaction score
Hey, do any therapists suffer from back pain and use a support? I'm still learning massage but very quickly my back becomes sore despite correct bed height, posture etc. I'm thinking about getting a support to help can you advise please?

You don't need a back support for massage, you need guidance on the correct posture. If you can stand without back pain you can massage without back pain. If your back starts to ache, check your posture, stand up straighter and sink lower. You should hardly move your arms Independantly, your arms move as your body moves.

If your thighs ache, you're doing it right! You'll get fitter with practise. You need to do yoga and/or tai chi

Perhaps you need to strengthen your back and shoulder muscles.
I found this helped me when I started to do full massages regularly again after a break.
I do a 20 minute exercise routine every weekday morning that covers this and gets all the joints moving. Definitely makes a difference.
Lots of dvds and you tube videos available to find the one that suits you.

I would advocate core strenghtening exercises in addition to the great suggestions above. Also stabilising the psoas muscle groups will benefit you a lot.
This can be done with pilates/yoga or piyo classes. You would be righting any wrongs with your posture early in your massage career.
As a trainee we were always taught good massage posture , putting the whole of your body into the manoeuvres ,thus preventing any injury.
Abdominal surgery if you have had any will also damage you potential for good core strength, so you would need a sports therapist or physio to guide you as to what you can achieve.
Good luck .

Latest posts

Back