Back to basics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do-it-all Deb

Reaction score
Hiya all

I need advice re the basics of nail art. I did a children's party and found that the nail art only lasted a couple of days. I was using the little pots of spangles paint - not too good I think.:sad:

1) Is there a good basecoat that anyone can recommend?
2) Likewise with top coat?
3) I have some art acrylic paints which are better, but large bottles. What do you put the paint in/on whilst using?
4) I had all my brushes nicked whilst still on my college course. Can you recommend good ones or do I just keep searching the art shops?
5) For kids nails is it better to use the nail art pens because their nails are so small?

Thanking all you experienced techs out there!

I did a couple of 'Bitesize' nail-art classes last year for the local education dept and was'nt asked until the day before the first one to do it.
There was no way I was going to use my 'top-end' products so I made a quick trip to Sallys and got Beauty Secrets base coat and Beauty Secrets Fast Finish top coat. They are cheap and to my surprise worked quite well.
My brushes come from various sources, my striper is from Millenium but, my fine detailer and priceless Filbert are from the local art shop.
Just finished teaching some nail-art classes and unfortunately I ended up lugging my full size acrylics with me.However I took only the basic colours and mixed them in throw away custard tart (pk of 4) containers .. very professional, lol!

You need to use a good acrylic sealer for nail art my nail art lasts for weeks One client came a few months later for a pedicure and her nail art was still on her toe nail however it had grown up a bit since I did it lol. I just use a simple one from sally's as I can just pop in and pick one up as i'm not far from them. I think it is by star nails and it is a uv protection top coat. :)

Debbie,

I got some of those little pots of spangles paints at the weekend.
I used Salon system matte basecoat from Sallys, Creative polish then dotted the paint over the top and sealed with Seche Vite Dry fast top coat. Had to remove the polish yesterday as it chipped - used non-acetone remover - polish came off but the dotted paint stayed behind LOL!
Could be base/top coat rather than the paint......

B

I started using spangles nail art paints.... these are acrylic paints... I have actually managed to buy acrylic paints of the same type in a local store for practicing with. (If this is bad for the nail, can someone tell me) the results have always been exactly the same, lasting the same length of time, etc; the ones I bought were from 'The Range'. no problems at all.
Brushes can also be purchased at the above store... they have a large range!

I have also found that cocktail sticks are actually great stripers and do very good dots too. Useful for those occassions when you do not wish to use your very best equipment!

I once allowed children to use my brushes, turned my back for a moment to do some nail art and the children had used my brushes in the polishes so hat they went hard...... They were never the same again!

Sue

Do-it-all Deb said:
Hiya all

I need advice re the basics of nail art. I did a children's party and found that the nail art only lasted a couple of days. I was using the little pots of spangles paint - not too good I think.:sad:

3) I have some art acrylic paints which are better, but large bottles. What do you put the paint in/on whilst using?
4) I had all my brushes nicked whilst still on my college course. Can you recommend good ones or do I just keep searching the art shops?
5) For kids nails is it better to use the nail art pens because their nails are so small?

"I need advice re the basics of nail art. I did a children's party and found that the nail art only lasted a couple of days. "

Hi Debbie

I think youngsters seem to have more oily nail plates. I never find that the polish and nail art lasts too long on my 6 year old. Thankfully she only wants it done once in a while!

Do-it-all Deb said:
Hiya all

Hi Debs
1) I use Star Nails base coat its reasonably priced and does its job.
2) I again use Star Nails - High Gloss Top Coat for sealing nail art again mine last upto 2 weeks with two coats and is reasonable about £1.85
3) I use both Spangles nail paints and artists acrylic paints and put them in a small palet I bought for 80pence from a craft shop.
4) The Book People in the north of england have shops in garden centres and they sell really cheap 'Filbert' brushes (great for doing leaves etc) £4.00 for 5 and I use stars nail art brushes and still have the same ones from a year ago..I use super striper, skinny striper and the dotting tool.
5) i think it depends on your own personal skill and technique personall i dont use the nail art pensbut thats just me...
If you want any more ideas etc send me a pm if you want.
ATB Louise

.... Another thing thats just come to mind is -I found that I used my 'Flexibrush' glitter polishes by Nail Creations, a lot. They have a long srtriper brush and are perfect for tiger stripes, flicks and flames.They are REALLY glittery too and the kids loved 'em.
I stuck to flowers done with dotting tools for the small kids too, petals can be a nightmare in such a small space.

I think I read a post where someone suggested taking along just a couple of simple designs for them to choose from. This was something I hadnt thought of and as you can guess ... they opted for the most intricate designs on my display board ... definately a mistake I learned from!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back