Back wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupgeek

Reaction score
I had a guy come to me looking to get his back waxed, so I did a patch test on his back and told him to come back in 48hrs if he had no problems, he had no reaction and i did the back wax a few days later. He went on holidays and text me to tell me his back came out in red spots and couldn't take his top off the whole holiday, I was very upset that this happened, was there something I did wrong or why did this happen when he had no reaction to the patch test🤔

How soon after the wax did he go on holiday and expose his skin to the sun? Did he follow the aftercare?

He went on holidays 3 days later, he says he did follow all the aftercare. He did say say he was wearing a backpack for long time and sweating a lot, so this is the only reason I can see as to why this happened. Surely he couldn't of been allergic to the wax after me doing a patch test on 3 different parts of his back? I just feel like he thinks it's something I done

Yes the backpack and sweating straight after a wax and then maybe sun ontop of that. I.d ask for a picture of his back and the spots, wondering if it's the small red bumps some get straight after a wax that usually go down within 24 hours and maybe they didn't go down, or he's got sweat in his freshly waxed skin and its folicitus kind of red bumps.

Actually thinking about it, I think he's caused it by wearing a back pack for a long period whilst he's sweating. With no hair to absorb the sweat on his back, his skins got very moist and hey presto spots.

Aww it's too late now anyway this happened a month ago, it's just still playing on my mind! He said some of the spots had wee white heads on them, and it was a bit itchy. I just would hate for this to happen to anyone else, it's made me wery of waxing backs now

The first few times my husband got a back wax he had these awful acne like spots for ages. Now, after persevering, he’s absolutely fine. I’m sure this is actually quite common

Thanks Julie xx

Some men just react to waxing more than others.

I always get bad erythema myself on my legs, like bad enough I can’t wear a dress for a week. It’s nothing to do with what you did wrong.

I think it was Kim Lawless that taught me this. Basically my guy that gets a wax the first time (and not really the first time as his wife has been shredding him at home),his back was bright red and could have been a novel in Braille.

The advice was when you finish waxing use a warm towel or flannel as it gives a rush of circulation and flushes out lots of the redness. Obviously this makes it a bit red to begin with.

I actually stopped doing that and found my own way, by putting an electric blanket on the couch. I turn the client back over, ask if they want eyebrows doing. If not just leave them alone for 5mins and tell to keep on table.

Then apply after wax lotion. Kaeso is the best for this, it cuts my week of redness and bumps down to 2 days.

Encourage him to take antihistamines the day of a wax to prevent the release of histamine which is causing the reaction.

In any other treatment this would be like crap major allergy wtf to do but waxing, it’s a level of this for everyone. Most people are like a 3-4, this guy is a 10. I’ve only seen one 1 ever that didn’t even appear to have been waxed and it was amazing.

He waited the right time for sunlight to avoid pigmentation but he was on holiday and sweating. That always makes it worse. I always tell mine to wear a T-shirt and take aftercare cream on holiday. Unlike other reactions, eg tinting, waxing bumps and redness to improve on the last time if they keep it up. Thing is most guys will have one for a holiday every year and get the same results.

Extra steps you can take are finding a wax without allergens. Allergens are cera alba (beeswax), and goodness the word fails me but there is a warning on most Just Wax creme waxes. Vegan formulas are generally the best for these people, especially the Jax Wax white formula as it is designed for bikinis and much more kind but also used to removing coarse hairs.

On the more wary side, keep your wax low, so it shouldn’t be hot to touch, and avoid waxing anywhere twice at all. Things like legs are fine with this but again backs are so sensitive. Use a strip wax for the bulk and then a hard wax (Jax Wax again very good for this)as it will be a lot lot less red. It will look like hives in the worst cases, but is usually in guys with flushed cheeks and skin type 1/2, just from what I’ve noticed along the way for the last 8 years.

If you aren’t already also always use a pre wax oil for whatever type wax you use and always retail a post wax lotion to every new client. Not using it is the main reason for issues that cause alarm. In this one guy I apply, tell him one hour later his wife is to put it on with clean hands and again before bed.

Revise the no S rule, sweat, swim, steam, shower. Some people don’t wash backs in the shower either so if sweaty this means bacteria, so a gentle shower gel with no pouffe after a day to avoid irritation. For some reason everyone is desperate to bath in chlorine with freshly waxed skin and that alone leads to infection. I once had a dreadful rash after waxing my bikini and legs because I used a center parks essential oil pool. My birthday was on fire. And it’s not the waxing that causes this, only lack of info or following the info you give.

Hope this help! Don’t panic. They are just scared you’ve torn them to pieces it will go down. If it doesn’t you did a patch test so your insurer will cover you. They don’t give people money for going red and bumps after a wax. If it was that bad he would be calling the doctor.

Thanks do much for your detailed reply, I will defiantly look into some of these waxes. The guy was nice enough, but he was annoyed that it happened, and so am I, it must have been because he was sweating on holiday that the reaction happened, cause he didn't have that reaction to the patch test.

hey ive had this a couple of times when doing back waxing. To avoid this ask the client to use savlon spray or spray any antibacterial product on their back daily after showering. Once my clients implemented this no issues.

Good idea, il remember that thanks😁

Latest posts

Back