Backfill advice - shadows

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathie!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have been in the biz for about 18 months but still when doing a l & p backfill i get a shadow showing through from the old pink underneath. filing the old pink away seems to take a lifetime.

my backfills never look anywhere near as good as a new set or infill.

any tips would be much appreciated.

Some causes of shadows are - previous lifting, allowing primer to touch old product, product ageing.

What product are you using, how long do your clients go between infills, do you use primer?

If the nails are being left bare, I tend to use a UV blocking topcoat (like Total Eclipse) as double insurance against any colour change.

Could any of this be your likely cause?

Thanks for that. I'm using EZFlow so use their primer but i do ensure it doesn't come into contact with old product and the shadow is closer to the smile line than any previous infill.

My clients only go two weeks I don't let them go any more than that!

I'm sure it's not a case of lifting and I use a uv top coat UV30 in all cases.

Any more clues?

Cue in Antony!!! :biggrin: :green:

May not hav interpreted your message correctly but do u mean u get a shadow in the new white, at the point were your old white ends and meat the top of the pink?

Just with u saying the nails look better after an infill rather than a backfill.

Sounds like maybe you didnt thin down your product enough during your file prep stage. This means that there will still be a thick amount of translucent (pink) product under your new application of white. That will cause the white to tend more towards a grey colour and it will cause a shadow effect to appear under the white ( as that area is translucent.

Hope this helps ;)

Just read last post and I tend to get shaddowing after backfill as well how do you know when you have thinned out old product enough?

Thanks
Sarah
X

I think the thinning down of the old pink is where my problem lies either that or i am using my white too wet both of which i can work on but as i said before it takes forever to thin it down. I use a 150 grit file (grey wolf) to do the thinning what's the min grit others out there use?

I'd love to get to the bottom of this cos it really bugs me and I really hate sending my clients out with shadowy nails.

Cathie

ALEX said:
May not hav interpreted your message correctly but do u mean u get a shadow in the new white, at the point were your old white ends and meat the top of the pink?

Just with u saying the nails look better after an infill rather than a backfill.
This is exactly what i mean.

Cathie

When you do a backfill or Forever French rebalance as I prefer to call it, it should only be necessary to thin down zone one to the desired finished thickness and then to flatten zone 2 a little. Why all this work??

Then apply your new smile line and only feather the white into the old white still left on the nail. After all if it is still white at the free ede why do you need more there? Your product will be thickest at the 'smile' and there should be no shadow at all.

It takes me at least 1hr 40mins to do a rebalance and im desparately trying to bring this time down. I have been helped by changing my file to a 100grit.
I always make sure I start a rebalance with a brand new file!

Remember that the thicker the end enhancment, the longer the rebalance will take.
The longer the rebalance takes you, the more aggression you will use whilst rebalancing.
The more aggression, the thicker your end enhanacement will have to be to take all the damage dished out upon it. That leads to longer rebalancing times :(

Thanks geeg i ask myself this all the time. I will take on board all the advice given and let you know how i get on this week as i'm sure there will be a couple of forever french rebalances booked in when i get in to work this week!

Cheers.

Cathie. x

The Nail Geek said:
Remember that the thicker the end enhancment, the longer the rebalance will take.
The longer the rebalance takes you, the more aggression you will use whilst rebalancing.
The more aggression, the thicker your end enhanacement will have to be to take all the damage dished out upon it. That leads to longer rebalancing times :(
That sounds like a blummin' nightmare to me!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back