Backscratcher silk/fibreglass nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkeedee

Reaction score
Hi Ladies/Gents
I've recently bought the Backscratcher silk/fibreglass nail kit and will be doing a course in Oct, I have applied silk to my own nails and so far I can't see any disadvantages to this system. I've read a lot on here about them but they all seem to be old threads so my question is do any Nail Techs still offer this service (full sets not just repairs) and is it popular with your clients? Thank you xx

Hi Ladies/Gents
I've recently bought the Backscratcher silk/fibreglass nail kit and will be doing a course in Oct, I have applied silk to my own nails and so far I can't see any disadvantages to this system. I've read a lot on here about them but they all seem to be old threads so my question is do any Nail Techs still offer this service (full sets not just repairs) and is it popular with your clients? Thank you xx

I'm just finishing my training and I will have on my menu, its a little tricky I find as I rarely use but sure having brush on resin and lots more practise will open that out. Nice and natural and easy to remove :)

I'm just finishing my training and I will have on my menu, its a little tricky I find as I rarely use but sure having brush on resin and lots more practise will open that out. Nice and natural and easy to remove :)

Ha menu I'm thinking about takeaways for tea bit much!

Hi there,

where did you get your backscratchers? I did fibre glass in 1992 and for a few years its all I ever did but other systems kind of took over. I like to have a go again as I absolutely loved them.

Disadvantages were simply that they werent as strong as acrylic but the overall look and feel of them were lighter and quite easy to wear.

Hi there,

where did you get your backscratchers? I did fibre glass in 1992 and for a few years its all I ever did but other systems kind of took over. I like to have a go again as I absolutely loved them.

Disadvantages were simply that they werent as strong as acrylic but the overall look and feel of them were lighter and quite easy to wear.
Thanks for replying :) I got them online at Direct Beauty Supplies x

I've only tried the brush on resin so far and its very easy to apply, there is also a bottle with nozzles in the kit but I thought I would try the easier option first until i've done my training.

I've only tried the brush on resin so far and its very easy to apply, there is also a bottle with nozzles in the kit but I thought I would try the easier option first until i've done my training.

I have to do the nozzle way for my vctc course, looking forward to ditching them!! Practise makes perfect- just nobody asks for it! Heard great things about your system, might need to try in future!

I have to do the nozzle way for my vctc course, looking forward to ditching them!! Practise makes perfect- just nobody asks for it! Heard great things about your system, might need to try in future!
I'd heard good things too, having read all the old threads on here it seemed to be the most popular. I'm really going to push them and advertise as much as I can, am really hoping they take off x

I trained in silk 10 years ago and still use it now, I've actually just done a full set this afternoon. Its perfect for ladies who want a natural looking nail and for a quick repair on split nails. I don't use fibreglass I use actual bridal silk from John Lewis which is what all techs use in Sheffield.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained in silk 10 years ago and still use it now, I've actually just done a full set this afternoon. Its perfect for ladies who want a natural looking nail and for a quick repair on split nails. I don't use fibreglass I use actual bridal silk from John Lewis which is what all techs use in Sheffield.

Thanks sarahjayne, how do you get the silk to stay on the nail before you apply resin please? The silk I used was slightly sticky on one side so it stayed put on the nail x

It takes practice :) but what I do is cut my silk up into squares about 7cms place a square over the nail leaving the cuticle area free and pull and fold it tightly with my left hand grabbing the excess under the nail being wrapped , apply my resin with my right hand, spray with activator then go onto the next nail. When I've done 1 hand I'll go back to the first one and gently sweep around with my file to remove the excess the silk then reapply.
I do two applications of silk then a final layer of resin.
I hope this makes sense. I find they last a lot a lot longer then fibreglass. Xx

It takes practice :) but what I do is cut my silk up into squares about 7cms place a square over the nail leaving the cuticle area free and pull and fold it tightly with my left hand grabbing the excess under the nail being wrapped , apply my resin with my right hand, spray with activator then go onto the next nail. When I've done 1 hand I'll go back to the first one and gently sweep around with my file to remove the excess the silk then reapply.
I do two applications of silk then a final layer of resin.
I hope this makes sense. I find they last a lot a lot longer then fibreglass. Xx

Thank you :) sounds a bit tricky but am determined to master it. Will probably stick to self adhesive silk until i'm more experienced and then give it a go with other silks x

Pinkeedee I offer Backscratchers Glass Glazing System.... I started out with this system way back when ehem! Lol...... I still love it just as much as I did when I first did it.

You can get the fibreglass pre cut with Backscratchers, but it definitely is a better way to learn how to use your stalk scissors in the right way, as some pre cut you still need to tailor to your client. Use the nozzle method first, then go onto the brush method if you need to. Using the nozzle shows you just how little resin you need.

You can embed fibreglass into Shellac for a little extra strength, and you can also create extra length on a nail rather than using a tip. I've used it when extending toe nails etc. it's such a versatile system, but you will find that most ladies that lunch use it, as they are not hard on their nails.

Don't use any other fibreglass other than Backscratchers, it's the best clarity that your ever going to get!

Yes it can be fiddly, but once you master it, doing things like Minx etc will be a doddle!

Good luck and enjoy it! ......if I can help you in any way then just give me a shout xxxx

Hi there. I use backscratchers extreme glaze and I do love how fast it is to do and the final finish. It is defiantly not as strong lasting but who cares when you are honest with your clients and say its not but it is a much better finish I am sure they will all go for the best finish.

Dip away girl you will be so chuffed when you do the training for it. Glitter is great as well.

Please stay in touch x

Thank you so much Lady and Creative kes :) i'm really looking forward to doing my training and can't wait to get started creating beautiful nails. I can see how good the backscratchers product is just by doing my own nails from an online tutorial. I feel so positive and quite excited about this system and hope my clients welcome it too x

I trained with Backscratchers a few years ago and loved it. Both their systems are light, easy to wear and very natural looking. They definitely aren't as strong, long lasting or versatile as l&p, for example - but it's horses for courses. Have to admit I stick with l&p for my own use, but I don't work as a nail tech and therefore don't have to worry about what I can offer to myself!

I have used fibre glass/silk for about 20 yrs wAs the first system i used. Cant remember the last time i did a full set, but still use it for repairs. I use gel most of the time now with the odd l&p every now and again.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi there. I use backscratchers extreme glaze and I do love how fast it is to do and the final finish. It is defiantly not as strong lasting but who cares when you are honest with your clients and say its not but it is a much better finish I am sure they will all go for the best finish.

Dip away girl you will be so chuffed when you do the training for it. Glitter is great as well.

Please stay in touch x
Can I just ask how you would apply glitter? Thank you x

Never used glitter with fibre glass before but then when I started doing nails nail art and glitters were not as popular I find gel and l&p much more versatile now days. But I would think you could sprinkle it on the resin before curing it.

Latest posts

Back