Bacterial nail infection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGritt

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am feeling really upset and useless at the moment and having some concerns with a client.

This may be a long post but here it is.....

A new client approached me for a full set of white tip acrylics, yes fine and dandy I thought! I applied her nails following my normal routine etc.

Now, I didn't see the client around for a while so assumed she must be visiting family back in the UK. And maybe had removal or infills whilst back at home. 3 1/2 weeks from the initial appointment she contacted me for infills again I said ok that's fine and went over to asses her nails. They had grown out to half way down the nail plate with slight lifting around the cuticles.
I sanitized my file in front of her (and stripped it as was new) and set to work filing, sanitized hands again, applied dehydrator and primer and applied the product.
I told her to wear gloves etc and follow the aftercare advice I gave her.

Anyway, again yesterday she arrived again for her agreed last set on infills (another 3 1/2 weeks had passed since first infills) I thought I hadn't heard from her due to being the Xmas season....
I looked at her nails and again sanitized her file, hands, removed the cuticle on the plate, dehydrator and primer. The client had lost her left thumb enhancement and her right index finger enhancement, she is quite happy for her naturally long nails (now) to be covered with a natural overlay to strengthen.
Upon the nails she had lost I noticed slight mint coloured stains! I'm so embarrassed! I buffed over the natural nail, sanitized, dehydrated, primed and added product. Did I do the correct thing?
I noticed that again there was more lift at cuticle but smoothed them out and removed the lifted product again!

I'm just wondering if a client leaves their infills this long and not uses gloves for washing up etc can this lead to a bacterial infection? I've never had it before and am mortified this has happened! Feel really low. I thought my sanitization was ample so is this my fault? Or can the client cause/aid bacterial infections by not following the aftercare?
The stain was in the middle of the beds at the natural smile line on both fingers.

Please help anyone, really am feeling useless and thinking of giving up

Thank you xx

Was there any lift along the free edge where some moisture could have seeped in or maybe a little bit of pocket lifting in that area?
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/158726-pocket-lifting.html

http://www.salongeek.com/health-saf...y-fun-guys.html?highlight=bacterial+infection

I don't recall you mentioning 'scrubfresh' i your sanitizing routine which is a great product as it deep cleanses the area and leaves anti bacterial agents on the area to help prevent a bac infection...If you don't alread use it, do introduce it ..it's well worth it.

And don't give up ...it'sa ll a learning process:hug:

Thank you for your reply.

There was no lifting other than around the cuticle area which I filed away.

I use nsi products, sani pure etc.

I feel really guilty! I am just wondering if leaving the enhancements for 3+ weeks and washing up every night might be the cause or aid? I was full of a cold too when I did them?........ I just don't know!

I had two other clients that I also followed the same procedure with! So am really worried they will have it too! I have these two appointments later this week! I saw one of the clients at school but there was no sign of discoloration.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, I do have the pink masque so might apply that colour until the green patch has grown down to be removed

:Scared:

most of my clients go 3- 4 weeks between refills so don't stress about that.....

do you use a cover pink all the time? I find that it's best to take the bulk down very thin if you use that so you can really see that there's nothing going on underneath ...

First set was clear.
First infill was pink masque
Just I filled with pink masque again, didn't see any green tinge around the lifted cuticle area on infills

Should I contact he and ask her to come for removal?

I wouldn't....if you are overly concerned and to put your mind at rest when she comes in for her refills just bring the product back very thin, sanitize and refill as normal......

Bit what if it happens again on this set of infills?

Her natural nails are really quite long now and she is happy to have a removal at next appoint,ent and just overlay her natural nails! She did say the two nails she lost didn't take her natural nail which she said has never happened before and is used to her natural tip being ripped off with the enhancement.
I naturally overplayed these two fingers for a bit of strength but recommended a removal at next app.

Just worried about if it grows

Xx

I also use NSI for acrylic and even with the pink masque you can still see a greenie underneath so I'm sure you would have spotted it.

Unfortunately we cannot control what our clients do with their hands, I have a young girl for acrylics who is a waitress, well there were completely wrecked by her job at the end of the 3 weeks , soaked off for a new set ..... and found a lot of food gone moldy underneath them :eek: and she managed to avoid a greenie LOL what are the chances ??

It doesn't sound like there is excessive lifting in your enhancements so I wouldn't be surprised if it something that you client is doing with her enhancements that is causing this, have you asked her what she does for a living ? or has she any hobbies that would make her more likely to develop greenies ?

well if you'd feel better about that do it but I don't think it's necessary.

Once you remove the bulk the air will kill the infection and when you sanitize it you 'killing' it on the double....then the stain just has to grow out.....did you read the link 'mouldy old fun guys'?

Yes Rinn I read it about several times just to make sure lol

It's the first time this has happened so I think it has shook me and dented me a little.

The client is a housewife but does go to the gym a lot also

As for food under the nail and not getting anything from it .........ewwwwww :eek:

It's normally something fungal on the actual nail itself. If they're a biter then it's more likely to be something bacterial as they usually get subcutaneous infections.

Sometimes things just happen with all the best will in the world.

Wait and see how it develops

Thank you sooo much for everyone's input and help. It has helped settle my mind :)

Xxxx

Latest posts

Back