Bad aftercare or bad batch?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.R

Reaction score
So fellow Geeks,
Here I am with my first problem regarding client and extensions, so any advice would be very much welcomed.
Just under two weeks ago, I did a full head fitting on a client, with hair,that, to date, I've never had a problem with. Unfortunately, the client contacted me a couple of days ago saying she was not happy with the hair, so, I got her in the very next day to have a look and see what her concers were. During an inspection of the hair, I noticed that it was extremely frizzy, dry, and looked as if it had also been plaited. Client explained that the hair keeps going curly, that she hadn't plaited it, and that it keeps frizzing up. So, after asking her to run me through her after care, it transpired that client uses a shampoo not recommended, will not apply any conditioner because she doesn't like it, uses argon oil when it's dry, and at one point, said she lets her dry naturally, but when I told her she shouldn't do this, she back peddled. Client had also dyed her roots and extensions.
What annoyed me most, was when I actually tried to tactfully explain the importance of using extension friendly shampoo, and to always use a conditioner, she actually sat there shaking her head at me saying that she didn't need to,because the shampoo she used had always been great for her own hair, and that she didn't like conditioner..... she just was not interested in what I was saying at all and was very defiant. Client said she wanted to keep the extensions in for Christmas but then wanted them removed after ( I made an appointment for her) ,but then contacted me today saying she wanted them out tomorrow night at 11.30pm?!- when I informed client that I do not work that late, I supplied her with several different times and dates after Xmas but before the New Year, all of which she said she couldn't do, and instead we have settled on a removal appointment after the New Year. And drum roll........client would like a new set in,.....free of charge. Is it possible that her aftercare could cause these issues?

No chance!

If you have given her a thorough aftercare sheet and explained aftercare also she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

-She had coloured the extensions
-She does not use the shampoo advised
- no condtioning of the mids and ends

I wouldn't even entertain her.

She is not the expert, you are. If she is refusing to follow the aftercare then it is her issue not yours.

My consultation and aftercare sheet clearly display all terms and conditions of having extensions fitted. If they do not follow my instructions as a professional then they wouldn't get a look in.

You need to be firm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You've explained thoroughly to her about aftercare and she has clearly not bothered and had no intention of following it.. You have the right to a rest over the Xmas and new year period.. Do not concern yourself with someone who has no concern for you.. Also if she is refusing to follow aftercare why would you pay for a new set that she will ruin again.
Stand firm and know that you did everything correctly. She is trying her luck.. Xxx

Pretty sure Nails above has said everything needed here. What a nightmare for you?! This client is clearly unsuitable for extensions. I hope you stay firm and don't offer her any refunds or anything free because it does sound a bit like she was trying her luck after possibly damaging her extensions herself x

Why did she dye the extensions? Didn't they match her hair to start with? She's only had them in 2 weeks?

Did you tell her she could dye them or is she blatantly ignoring all aftercare?

Thanks girls.
unfortunately , it is very much a case of client blatantly ignoring aftercare.She signed the consultation form that stated if she did not follow aftercare, that she would not be entitled to a refund, and she was given an aftercare sheet stating about chemicals on the hair, the right shampoos, and needing to use conditioner etc etc......and yet, even when I was re running her through this when she came back, she just sat in the chair shaking her head and not accepting what I was saying at all, #sigh#. Her hair looked beautiful when fitted and was a spot on colour match, but she colours her hair a lot I think. Interestingly, whilst fitting her hair, she told me that she had previously had extensions fitted 3 months prior to current fitting, but the hair had turned frizzy and dry and the hair fell out,and that was not before her going to a hairdresser, asking for a trim, and the hairdresser then getting her waist length hair in a pony tail and proceeding to cut through it so it was less than shoulder length,.........I had a gut feeling this client could be a problem.

Looking for some advice for a similar issue.

I've always used Aussie on my extensions and never had a problem. I go between that and Pureology. However my hair this time was from Fabulong and after 3 weeks it's started going bushy constantly, I'm finding myself brushing it every 15mins (no joke) to try and take it [emoji53] I've bought Joico clarifying shampoo and conditioner as recommended by the supplier and the problem doesn't seem to have been resolved.

I know I shouldn't have used Aussie but I haven't ever had a problem with it before.

Can anyone advise on how I can get the hair nice and smooth again?

The problem with Joico Clarifying shampoo is that it's a shampoo that strips product build up form your hair. It's not a shampoo to use all the time. It's for chlorinated hair, product build up anti oxi after lightening colours/bleaches Etc. It's far too harsh for hair that has had many chemicals on like hair extensions.
It's the last thing I would recommend for extensions xxxx I've stock Joico and worked with them for many many years now. X the best for extensions is the Smooth cure range x

I second the above. I recommended smooth cure to my clients x

Thanks for your replies. I'm so scared to try anything on them now in case it happens again. I sent that hair back for testing and have a new weave in now x

Thanks for your replies. I'm so scared to try anything on them now in case it happens again. I sent that hair back for testing and have a new weave in now x
Good you got new hair:)

Good you got new hair:)

I bought new hair lol then they offered me replacement hair but I've asked for a refund because there's no point taking it now and I would just be scared it happened again.
They've sent it away for testing so waiting to hear back x

I bought new hair lol then they offered me replacement hair but I've asked for a refund because there's no point taking it now and I would just be scared it happened again.
They've sent it away for testing so waiting to hear back x

They probably say colouring was the cause! X

They probably say colouring was the cause! X
I know :( but I don't think it was. I've never known anyone to have an issue with colouring their extensions x

Latest posts

Back