Bad at nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlaurenmbx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need your advice.

I’ve been qualified in gels for a good few years now. At first I was absolutely fine, but I feel as though I’ve gradually got worse!
They don’t stay on and the application just isn’t good!
I’m so scared to have any gel manicures book in as I feel I’m just so terrible at them!
Thing is I’m on maternity leave and was thinking of doing half work and half mobile when my mat leave is up.
Has anybody got any advice or in the same boat?
Could it just be that I’m genuinely pants?!

Thankyou
Lauren x x x

Hi Lauren,
Rather than thinking yourself not very good ther are a couple of things that come to mind.
Could your products be out of their use by date?
Are you using a lamp that is compatable with your gels, ie;- the same manufacturer as gel products ?
Have you looked back at the educational file or booklet thet you should have had when you did your original course to see if you have missed anything out?
Maybe you need a bit more practise and /or a little refresher course for your chosen gel system to get your confidence back again.
Which gels are you currently using by the way?
Rosie x

Hi Rosie
Thankyou for replying
I could check the date of my products.
The lamp’s I use have always been the right one’s for the gels used.
I feel I am following everything from the manual and for each gel used.
The only gel polish that I’m fine with is Shellac.

I feel it’s my application of how I actually apply the polish. Is there a way for even coverage?

I use OPI

X x

I want to give you an example of my career so that you can understand yourself a little bit better. Im not trying to make this about myself.

Ive been doing nails since I was 22. Im 30 now. I do it off and on. To this very day im not very good and Ive practiced a lot. I can't get the shape to be even. I can't polish smoothly. Why is this? I have an actual mental problem where I can't hold pictures in my mind for very long. So it prevents me from doing nails correctly.

Ive seen new nail techs come in and just after one week, they've surpassed me, lol. Their polish is flawless and their shape is very good.

So, you have to consider the health of your mind. Are you taking any drugs? Do you have any unhealthy addiction? All of those things can affect your mind.

Nails may look simple from the outside, but its actually very hard to do without a good working human brain.

Hi Rosie
Thankyou for replying
I could check the date of my products.
The lamp’s I use have always been the right one’s for the gels used.
I feel I am following everything from the manual and for each gel used.
The only gel polish that I’m fine with is Shellac.

I feel it’s my application of how I actually apply the polish. Is there a way for even coverage?

I use OPI

X x

Oh I don't use shellac or opi, but I am familiar with gel and hybrid gel differences in aplication.
I always stir my gel very thoroughly with a stirring tool to ensure gel is mixed , and I lay the brush quite flat onto the nail so that fresh colour doesn't drag at all. Almost like I float it on. Also 3 coats of thinly applied gel will last better than thick 2 coats. Try that for starters.
Occasionally , gel can begin to shrink before curring, so I have been known to cure 2 nails together for a flash cure - say 10 seconds to stabiise them until I have done the next 2 and so on. Not all colours shrink , but you just have to be on the lookout as you are using it.
I hope that helps.....if you have not got too many gels , then why not just do shellac to help build your confidence? Then practise the less easier gel on your family and friends.
Rosie x

I want to give you an example of my career so that you can understand yourself a little bit better. Im not trying to make this about myself.

Ive been doing nails since I was 22. Im 30 now. I do it off and on. To this very day im not very good and Ive practiced a lot. I can't get the shape to be even. I can't polish smoothly. Why is this? I have an actual mental problem where I can't hold pictures in my mind for very long. So it prevents me from doing nails correctly.

Ive seen new nail techs come in and just after one week, they've surpassed me, lol. Their polish is flawless and their shape is very good.

So, you have to consider the health of your mind. Are you taking any drugs? Do you have any unhealthy addiction? All of those things can affect your mind.

Nails may look simple from the outside, but its actually very hard to do without a good working human brain.

I'm guessing you mean medication that can fog your brain, rather than prohibited Class A's ;)

It's a good point that so many people think 'doing nails' is easy - and you're right, so many get in to the business and drop out again as fast when they realise it's not. In a way thats good though, we keep the good ones, those who strive to be better, who want to produce the best for their clients, those who want to learn and be better.

You must be doing something right as you are still in business, if you were as bad as you think you wouldn't have clients - be kinder to yourself. Maybe look at investing in yourself and get some further training, it could be a simple tweak to solve your problems.

Thankyou for your replies.
I ‘used’ to on medication for anxiety and that was when my application was at it’s worse.
I am not on them anymore.

Trinity, Thankyou for your reply also. You’re right, I need to be kinder to myself and more confident.
I’ll definitely look into refresher courses xx

Hi everyone,
I need your advice.

I’ve been qualified in gels for a good few years now. At first I was absolutely fine, but I feel as though I’ve gradually got worse!
They don’t stay on and the application just isn’t good!
I’m so scared to have any gel manicures book in as I feel I’m just so terrible at them!
Thing is I’m on maternity leave and was thinking of doing half work and half mobile when my mat leave is up.
Has anybody got any advice or in the same boat?
Could it just be that I’m genuinely pants?!

Thankyou
Lauren x x x

How do you prepare nail plate? All dry bits should be removed, nail dehydrated, then prep and primer.
I had same issue, problem was in nail preparation. I do russian manicure not, 4-5 weeks wear:)

At times like this, I think it is best to go back to basics. You were good at this before, and you can be good at this again. When we've done something for a while, we often start cutting corners that we're not even aware that we're doing. Act as if you have just learned and start from scratch. Re-assess your products and tools. Do each and every step as if you were just learning it.

At times like this, I think it is best to go back to basics. You were good at this before, and you can be good at this again. When we've done something for a while, we often start cutting corners that we're not even aware that we're doing. Act as if you have just learned and start from scratch. Re-assess your products and tools. Do each and every step as if you were just learning it.
Very good advice. Totally support :)

Think back to the journey you had when you were learning. Disappointing Mani after disappointing mani - but you could see the improvement and were encouraged by the positive feedback you received. Last year we mani pedi trained a massage therapist. I had a devil of a job stopping her booking herself walk - in gel manicures before she was up to standard - because we'd praised her practise and she felt confident. I had to discreetly apologise and refund 5 TIMES IN A ROW!! Can you imagine how you'd feel if you knew your work had been refunded 5 times in a row? That was my stress to worry about not hers because I was the Trainer. Within 2 weeks of the last refund (and a very firm instruction not to book herself any more gel manis) she was painting our nails beautifully. She'd cracked it!

I've had problems with a few a therapists developing quality issues over the years. I've tried retraining, I've bought new lamps, I've replaced base and top coats and generally driven myself crazy trying to help the struggling therapist.

In the end all that is left is to review attitude and mindset belief rather than skill - preparation steps being missed out possibly due to anxiety, - the mind jumping ahead to worry about the recurring problem - not doing the things we drill into beginners: stir the gel, clean a sticky bottle rim, use a nail prep dehydrator just before painting base (don't dehydrate both hands and then paint one), control your client's hands - don't let them text between application coats or check each nail as you paint, pinch the skin back from the finger sidewalls, slide your own thumbnail under the clients nail and paint onto your own finger nail, load enough product on to your brush (don't run out of product part way through a nail), tilt your head right over to the left to check your application, turn the client's hand upside down for 10 secs to self level, lock a deeply pigmented colours with a 10 sec flash as Rosie R mentioned.

Sometimes the problem starts before you've even started doing anything practical.

I've got a lovely girl who works with me who suffers from "obsessive perfection disorder" She's a bit slow and then started to complain that she was concerned that Cuccio wasn't wearing as well clients expected. Then she said that clients were disappointed with our colour selection, especially our reds. I felt that if she believed clients were unhappy with the colour and she was stressing because she wanted every gel mani to last 21+ days then the chances that she would be happy with her work were slim and that would make her slow and she wouldn't pick up that the client was unhappy with how long everything was taking.

An obsessive therapist concerned about standards doesn't always deliver the ideal client experience whilst striving to be "best".

It's tricky to reset someone's head. I managed it in the end partly by accident and partly by some devious subterfuge. I realised that this therapist has a thing about OPI so I bought some OPI polish in colours so close to the Cuccio colours we have that most clients can't tell the difference. The therapist instinctively drew the OPI colours to the client's attention and the client would happily choose them and not say "oh if only you had another colour". Without realising what she was doing the therapist learnt that she can manage clients.

The therapist started to paint very happily rather than feeling unhappy about colour and enjoy the treatment because she was sure the client would love the result. This speeded her up. This attitude carried over into her gel application and her anxieties faded away.

So try taking a breath, smiling happily at your client and being very positive. Your client will love the experience you create and not notice that your work is 91 out of 100 or 88 out of 100 or even 74 out of 100. Once you've had a few positive experiences to lift your mojo you'll find that your work improves too as you start to believe that you're good enough...

Think back to the journey you had when you were learning. Disappointing Mani after disappointing mani - but you could see the improvement and were encouraged by the positive feedback you received. Last year we mani pedi trained a massage therapist. I had a devil of a job stopping her booking herself walk - in gel manicures before she was up to standard - because we'd praised her practise and she felt confident. I had to discreetly apologise and refund 5 TIMES IN A ROW!! Can you imagine how you'd feel if you knew your work had been refunded 5 times in a row? That was my stress to worry about not hers because I was the Trainer. Within 2 weeks of the last refund (and a very firm instruction not to book herself any more gel manis) she was painting our nails beautifully. She'd cracked it!

I've had problems with a few a therapists developing quality issues over the years. I've tried retraining, I've bought new lamps, I've replaced base and top coats and generally driven myself crazy trying to help the struggling therapist.

In the end all that is left is to review attitude and mindset belief rather than skill - preparation steps being missed out possibly due to anxiety, - the mind jumping ahead to worry about the recurring problem - not doing the things we drill into beginners: stir the gel, clean a sticky bottle rim, use a nail prep dehydrator just before painting base (don't dehydrate both hands and then paint one), control your client's hands - don't let them text between application coats or check each nail as you paint, pinch the skin back from the finger sidewalls, slide your own thumbnail under the clients nail and paint onto your own finger nail, load enough product on to your brush (don't run out of product part way through a nail), tilt your head right over to the left to check your application, turn the client's hand upside down for 10 secs to self level, lock a deeply pigmented colours with a 10 sec flash as Rosie R mentioned.

Sometimes the problem starts before you've even started doing anything practical.

I've got a lovely girl who works with me who suffers from "obsessive perfection disorder" She's a bit slow and then started to complain that she was concerned that Cuccio wasn't wearing as well clients expected. Then she said that clients were disappointed with our colour selection, especially our reds. I felt that if she believed clients were unhappy with the colour and she was stressing because she wanted every gel mani to last 21+ days then the chances that she would be happy with her work were slim and that would make her slow and she wouldn't pick up that the client was unhappy with how long everything was taking.

An obsessive therapist concerned about standards doesn't always deliver the ideal client experience whilst striving to be "best".

It's tricky to reset someone's head. I managed it in the end partly by accident and partly by some devious subterfuge. I realised that this therapist has a thing about OPI so I bought some OPI polish in colours so close to the Cuccio colours we have that most clients can't tell the difference. The therapist instinctively drew the OPI colours to the client's attention and the client would happily choose them and not say "oh if only you had another colour". Without realising what she was doing the therapist learnt that she can manage clients.

The therapist started to paint very happily rather than feeling unhappy about colour and enjoy the treatment because she was sure the client would love the result. This speeded her up. This attitude carried over into her gel application and her anxieties faded away.

So try taking a breath, smiling happily at your client and being very positive. Your client will love the experience you create and not notice that your work is 91 out of 100 or 88 out of 100 or even 74 out of 100. Once you've had a few positive experiences to lift your mojo you'll find that your work improves too as you start to believe that you're good enough...
Do i understand correctly that your therapist had only one training? What about continuous development? Products change. Should not they attend training every 6-10 months?

Think back to the journey you had when you were learning

I don't think I implied that my therapist colleagues are trained only once. I think it's clear from the context that I'm referring to the acquiring of a new skill.

I also mention refresher training and product and equipment trouble shooting.

My comments should be read in the context of the OP question and other comments posted in relation to OP's question. i shared my experiences in my salon in case the OP found any of these helpful. Discussion about my training practices etc in my salon are O.T. And not really helpful for the OP.

Latest posts

Back