Bad college experience - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferris1984

Reaction score
Hello Geeks! I haven’t posted in this forum for a long time, because I had a long break from hairdressing (4 years break, I am level 2 qualified) & I’m now starting again. I wanted to get some opinions on the situation I’m in at a local college. I asked the college about courses because I felt like a course would be the best way to kick start my career again after a long break, gain updated knowledge and experience. I am 35 years old so I’m an adult student. I was really excited when they invited to come in and speak to the Level 3 VRQ tutor. She asked me about my experience (I said I had level 2 NVQ and I had worked in a salon for 6 months after qualifying, and freelance for a bit longer before having a few years break). She said I could enroll as long as I thought I could catch up the theory work.

My fees are now paid and I am enrolled on the course, I’ve completed the theory work. Copies of my level 2 certificates were provided and copied by college reception. I turned up on the first day and was told at reception she didn’t want me to get a student ID and she wanted a word with me. She then took me in a room with another tutor and said she didn’t want me “blaming her” if I found the course too difficult due to “missed work” (work before I started). She went on and on about needing to see my work on a client before she could let me on the course, and I couldn’t do that until the 2nd day. She didn’t want to see my theory work saying “it’s only theory”. On first day I wasn’t introduced to any other students & I wasn’t shown round the salon or talked through my timetable. On the 2nd day I did work on a client for her to see (highlights). She wouldn’t let me cut the clients hair which would have reduced the service time as she wanted 5 inches off. At the end of the session I was told “my work was fine” but it “took too long” and I “didn’t even know what developer to use” (I picked out L’Oreal Blond Studio developer that was in a black bottle not a black foil packet, same brand and correct strength just not the right product apparently but I was never shown round the store cupboard and haven’t worked with L’Oreal before). She then repeated that “you can stay on the course if you want to but you’ll be so disadvantaged, I don’t want you blaming me when you’re totally disadvantaged compared to everyone else”. The way she said it was a repeat of the first day, I tried to ask questions such as “is there any way I could get another chance to see some of the things I’ve missed”, and she just says no. She then said I had misled her in my interview and she thought I was “coming straight from industry”.

The course is a VRQ level 3 and honestly half the students on the course are disruptive and unprofessional, they look like they don’t want to be there at all. It’s not a requirement on the course to be employed, and yet she is having a go at me for not being employed currently, even though I explained this in my interview. I’m sure some of the other students aren’t employed in salons either at the moment.

She hadn’t intervened with the service I did on the client and the client was happy (other than no cut). Obviously I need to refresh my skills which is why I wanted to do a course.

I’m just wondering what people think? Is the tutor not wanting to put the effort in, or is this personal? She told me off in the 2nd conversation for looking at someone else, someone she invited into the conversation. I was basically just nervous because I’d been brought into a new environment and not shown around or introduced to anyone.

If she wanted to see my work before enrolling me that would have been fine, but instead I’ve been enrolled and she’s denied me a student ID, she hasn’t given me a list of kit required or looked at my written work.

Let me know your thoughts! Am I getting upset for no reason or does this sound bad?

Liz xxxx

This is disgusting from a tutor and the college for allowing it! Stand up for yourself and demand answers as to why you are being treated like this x

This is disgusting from a tutor and the college for allowing it! Stand up for yourself and demand answers as to why you are being treated like this x

Glad it’s not just me who thinks this seems bad. I think the comment saying “what are you looking at her for” was probably the worst, there was no need for that at all. I’ve had strict tutors on level 2, but they were also good teachers & would definitely have shown me where products & equipment were before a service. It’s like she’s decided she doesn’t want me there & is trying to get rid of me.

I think your best route would be to write down the series of events with specific dates and times and then submit a FORMAL complaint to the College.
It should go to the Head of Department / Curriculum Manager in the first instance but if you don't resolve it at this level take it to the Head of Faculty and ultimately the College Principal.
Make use of the College's formal complaint process - there should be a policy on their website for you to read and follow.

This is awful. I’m so sorry you’ve been treated this way. I agree with the comments above regarding future action. Hope it gets resolved ! X

I think your best route would be to write down the series of events with specific dates and times and then submit a FORMAL complaint to the College.
It should go to the Head of Department / Curriculum Manager in the first instance but if you don't resolve it at this level take it to the Head of Faculty and ultimately the College Principal.
Make use of the College's formal complaint process - there should be a policy on their website for you to read and follow.

Thank you. I will have to do something about it next week if things don’t improve. Because I don’t have a student ID badge or locker, & can’t use college facilities during breaks (the breaks are an hour long), I’ve had to stand about outside with a bag full of hairdressing kit. I’ve seen tonight the course is open for late applications on the college website. So I think I do have grounds for complaint!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back