Bad idea?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB1

Reaction score
Hey fellow geeks! I've a few questions which I would greatly appreciate your views on. Please let me no exactly what you think, don't hold back! Lol. I'm just starting out in the beauty business, I qualified last year and currently in the process of setting up a small business. Problem is.. I don't have adequate space at home... I live in a small flat and tbh the only place I could possibly set up to do treatments would be my tiny front room or bedroom... Obviously I would jazz the rooms up a little so it looks nice but to be honest... Do you think people would mind coming into this environment for treatments? Renting a room would be another option but I've no idea how I would go about doing this and as im just starting out I don't really want to run before I can walk! I just feel like I really want to make a go of this but my current surroundings and situation are holding me back... Any help of views and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks geeks!

I'm in exactly same situation!!! It's so stressful xx

Hi Sweetie, do you have any friends or family that have a space you could use ? If not I dont think clients would mind too much if the service is professional and the rooms are done up to look like a "Spa/ Beauty" room environment.

Thanks for your reply.. I will try and find out if anyone I no has anything available.. But think I will have to just try and think up how I can jazz up the room! Lol thanks for your replies... And yup defo a stressful situation! Hahaha

Would you be able to maybe try mobile until you have more space that way your using their space as opposed to the client coming into yours??xx

as long as you are professional and clients are aware that they are having treatment in your front room then you will be fine....what about going mobile??

I would love to go mobile but can't drive... That's another thing I need to start saving up for! Lool... So wish i had learnt to drive before now!

I would love to go mobile but can't drive... That's another thing I need to start saving up for! Lool... So wish i had learnt to drive before now!

Same! I'm learning to drive & I couldn't pass soon enough!

I'm working from home but to be quite honest it's such a pain in the rear! I'm in a flat too, & I'm made to feel so unprofessional, the amount of comments I've had about me doing it as a 'side earner' grrr just because I work from home doesn't mean my business isnt legit! bugs me these kind of comments......

Another downside is I'm not very busy working from home as obviously my town is full of lazy people lol who won't put there self out to visit me!

Not trying to put you off btw, just my personal opinion is to not work from home, honestly can't wait until I'm mobile x

A front room is hard, a bedroom is a private place so I'd avid that!

The front room will need to be spotless! You will need to design the room as if it is a beauty room and not a loung! I think it is achieveable but you need To spend time and money on it so it looks proper!! I don't think people would mind coming to a flat providing it does look or feel like a flat. I would do it up very clean and professional so they feel like they have walked into a treatment room and not a lounge. Personal opinion, but you can do it!

And when you do - put some pictures up ;) xx

There is a tread on here called something like

Set up - show me yours and I'll show you mine or something

They are all brilliant, have a look for some inspirations from people who Actually do this. X

I'd imagine if people are coming to a 1 bed flat or studio flat it's pretty intimate I personally wouldn't want that.

If you've just qualified wouldn't it be good to get a job first, build a client base, then use that money to learn to drive, get a car, then go mobile or get a room in a gym or hair salon?

Honestly, I think u need a spare room for ur set up.

I think its a fab idea to ask around friends/family who may have the space u need.

What treatments are u offering?
Xx

Thanks for all your replies, I do currently have a job part time which I enjoy so currently not looking to work in a salon.but will definitely think about that. I will be offering spray tans, facials and manicures

Thanks for your reply.. I will try and find out if anyone I no has anything available.. But think I will have to just try and think up how I can jazz up the room! Lol thanks for your replies... And yup defo a stressful situation! Hahaha

Hi after much thought i decided to use my kitchen to do customers nails. my kitchen is small so i use a fold away camping table. At first i wasn't sure this would give a professional look to customers as i am just starting out. But today
a customer came round for a manicure and said how cute my layout was.
All i did was place lovely flowers on the side placed my products on the sides.
I think customers all they want is a good job and nice clean friendly environment. I also don't drive and decided to work from home and offer a mobile service just for people close by.

I'd check out the insurance as well as if someone falls over and hurts themselves in your home and your insurance doesn't cover it you'll be in lots of trouble. I don't know if you've already thought of this but I think you need council permission. X

Hey fellow geeks! I've a few questions which I would greatly appreciate your views on. Please let me no exactly what you think, don't hold back! Lol. I'm just starting out in the beauty business, I qualified last year and currently in the process of setting up a small business. Problem is.. I don't have adequate space at home... I live in a small flat and tbh the only place I could possibly set up to do treatments would be my tiny front room or bedroom... Obviously I would jazz the rooms up a little so it looks nice but to be honest... Do you think people would mind coming into this environment for treatments? Renting a room would be another option but I've no idea how I would go about doing this and as im just starting out I don't really want to run before I can walk! I just feel like I really want to make a go of this but my current surroundings and situation are holding me back... Any help of views and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks geeks!

I used to go to beauty therapist who rented a room above the nail bar and it was so tiny, it was just enough space for a beauty coach, sideboard and a chair..she had a long shelf on the wall for all her essentials and the door had a hook with a hanger..to be honest, I felt she utilized space quite well..the room was clean and bright. I am sure it can work if you try and make the most of the space:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back