Bad perm!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alkura

Reaction score
Hi all.

Not a hairdresser but in need of some serious advice.

Previously, my hair was long, not cut for a while due to having a baby and Covid. Also, not touched it with harsh chemicals or heat for the best part of two years.
So, after a tough pregnancy, post natal anxiety and Covid, I went to get my hair done.
I did some research and as my hair was in good condition, decided on a body wave perm.
I hunted round for a hairdresser and selected one which cost significantly more than the other's, thinking I'd get the job done well.

So, went to my appointment, the hairdresser started with a wash and put the solution in, then she started with the rollers, they were small, looked at them and asked if they'd give a wave finish, to which, I was assured they would, so I trusted her professional opinion

She left the solition in for around 15-20 mins then came to wash it out. She was pulling on the rollers something shocking, to a point I could hear my hair snapping, thought she was just a little roungh and thought it okish as she was going to cut it anyway.

She cut my hair wet and I could see the curls coming in, though they were more like a flattened spiral perm. Not what I asked for... Anyway she used the diffuser on it and she was done, she said to leave it for 2 days and the waves would come.

So, I left the salon, with damp hair and a promise of a wave, went to the shops for a few minutes. Within 15ish minutes I looked like I'd stuck my fingers in a plug socket! Went home and after an hour of having my hair done, I looled like Monica from friends in the humidity....

I rang the hairdresser for advise and was told to leave it for the 2 days and use a colour care shampoo and conditioner. Not much choice, so this is what I did.

Wash day, washed my hair, half the curls have gone and all I've been left with is a frizzy mess.

Spoke to the hairdresser again when she unleashed a ton on me, saying my hair was really badly damaged when I can in, she then asked what shampoo I used previously which is head and shoulders, she said it was my fault for using that, which I didn't use after the perm at all.

Anyway, went to another hairdresser for a consultation only for an opinion on what has happened and what to do. I was told not to touch it for six months and I'd need another haircut, pretty much losing 3 inch in total. I asked her if I was in my right for a refund and she agreed that would be the least she could offer.

I took this back to the original hairdresser who then said she wouldn't issue a full refund, Offered £30 of the £85 I spent on it, as it was my fault and that I was harrasing her.... she then blocked my number....

So now, I'm sat here looking ridiculous not knowing what to do next? I can't look in a mirror for crying and I certainly don't want to go back to her, nor leave the house! Pics of my hair from the night before I had it done and after I washed it 2 days later.

FYI, no questions on previous hair care or a patch test was offered...

Please help 🙏

Attachments

• 20200802_164619.jpg
    20200802_164619.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200730_141508.jpg
    20200730_141508.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200802_211337.jpg
    20200802_211337.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200807_141240.jpg
    20200807_141240.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200807_141246.jpg
    20200807_141246.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 114
Please clarify, did you have Covid yourself or are you just talking about being in lockdown?

Just being in lockdown with no salons open. I've not had it of my knowledge.

Thanks for clarifying.

We’ve been advising on here that hairdressers should do an incompatibility test and patch test prior to performing any chemical services on clients. Apparently, Covid affects the immune system and can cause people to become sensitive to chemicals that previously they were ok with and suffer various levels of reaction.

However, that’s not national guidance, just our suggestions for Best Practice.

Back to your dilemma...

Anyway she used the diffuser on it and she was done, she said to leave it for 2 days and the waves would come.

Nope. That’s totally incorrect. Your hair won’t miraculously become wavy 2 days AFTER leaving the salon.

She knows she cocked up and she should have been honest with you. Did you get this done in a salon or in someone’s home?

Perming isn’t something that all hairdressers are taught as it’s been dropped at many colleges so hairdressers mustn’t offer it if they‘ve not passed a perming unit at level 2 or above. Perming is a skilled service and takes practise to perfect.

What you’ve been left with is really bad in my opinion. I think you should be requesting a full refund and some compensation for the damage she’s caused to your long hair, because even using Olaplex, it probably won’t get much better and will need to grow out.

Its pretty rare that I suggest anyone should threaten legal action but in your case, I think it’s the only option.
She’s not taking any responsibility for the mess your hair has been left in and offering you £30 for ruining your hair is pretty insulting.

Unfortunately, it’s incompetent hairdressers who give the rest of us a bad name. :(

Meant to add, purchase some Olaplex and use it regularly plus lots of moisturising treatments. Olaplex repairs broken internal bonds but it’s not a conditioner for the outside cuticle layer so your hair will still need lots of deep moisture treatments.

Stick with Olaplex and not one of the imitation brands that end in xxxplex as they’re unlikely to contain the patented ingredients that Olaplex contains.

If you can, buy a bottle of Olaplex number 2 and add some to your conditioner/mask, apply to washed damp hair and leave it on for at least 30 minutes, but rinse it out afterwards.

Don't sleep on damp hair either as this will stretch it and cause more breakage.

Thank you dor your honesty.

I had it done in a salon, I wasn't prepared to have a home treatmentbfor such a procedure.

I've thought about getting legal advice but it's a route I really didn't want to take, though I have given plenty of opportunity to settle elsewhere, only not going back to her, which, as you can imagine, is the last thing I want to do.

I'm getting to tye understanding that there's nothing that can be done to put this right, I'm just goingbto have to keep on with deep conditioning and spend the next god knows how long in scruffy buns 😒

I know full well it's not all hairdressers, never had such a horrific experience. Though it's not just the cock up, it's how she handled it too....

Advice taken. I'll look for some now. Thank you ❤

Head and shoulders can leave residue in the hair which reacts badly with perms, the residue is in the hair and needs to grow out (long hair think 2years+) there should be a video on the net somewhere about head and shoulders and perms .Its not a myth .She should have not touched knowing you used head and shoulders , and also she she should of advised that a wavy perm would need to be styled and blow dried wavy otherwise it can be a bit beachy or frizzy you wont get those instagram glossy waves just by washing it .She probably did it tighter because its virgin hair and you may have wanted to see some curl , whereas a body perm or a wave could just drop straight out after a few months on long hair . The only advice Ican give is to visit some curly hair forums to get a feel for how to manage it , get a good haircut and regular trims , and dont brush it ever ! Just detangle when wet and use a leave in conditioner.

So sorry to hear that you're hair has been damaged. Aa someone who has (naturally) frizzy, fluffy, wavy hair, I'm well used to dealing with what you've been left with and have a couple of suggestions if they help. 1. Have a look at the curly girl method. It's gentle, will help you look after the damage and will help with the frizz. I don't advocate the "no shampoo" part BUT the suggestion of doing things like treating it really carefully, using a microfiber or tshirt to remove water from the hair after washing and not brushing it between washes will massively help with frizz. If you've always had straight, sleek hair, the sheer amount of frizz that comes with wavy and curly hair I'd imagine is a bit of a shock. If you don't handle it carefully, the frizz is a nightmare and that's normal. I really like Colour Wow Dream Coat (they do a straight hair ans curly hair version), it stops my frizz significantly. Use a load of conditioner and a leave in conditioner. Olaplex 3 is gorgeous. I use frizz ease weightless wonder shampoo and conditioner which helps and frizz ease curl reviver mousse. Try your hardest not to touch your hair when its drying and avoid defusing as it can create more frizz unless you are careful. I scrunch my hair in the shower with loads of conditioner on, then rinse gently, lightly scrunch in some leave in conditioner in and "plop" it in a tshirt to remove some of the water while you get dry and then once I'm dressed I'll whip off my tshirt turban and put some mousse in, clip my roots up so they don't dry flat and leave my hair to air dry. It can take a bloody long time to dry BUT that's the best way to get least frizz for me anyway. Sometimes I will use the diffuser for speed but I hover it over the hair on a medium speed rather than tip my hair into the diffuser bowl. The more your hair touches the more it will frizz. A bit of frizz ease serum ir hair oil can help but I find it too heavy on my fine hair.
Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back