Bad reaction to sterilizer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacki

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been using Bio Sculpture for a whole year now and have recently noticed that I have a serious reaction to the 'Sterilizer' (the solution to clean the nail plate and to remove the sticky residue after curing the gel). It hardens the skin on my thumb, index and middle finger making them really tender :sad: and now they have gone a beetroot colour (only way of describing it!!)

I am at the moment using 'Germolene new skin' and a fingerbob along with a latex finger glove until they get better.

I really do not want to show my clients what has happened so I have said that I have slight exzcema on them and i need to protect them.

I havent been to see doc yet as he will probably tell me to where gloves all the time but i really do not like using them.:rolleyes:

The ingredients in the 'Sterilizer' is propyl alcohol, aqua, colours and fragrance.I was wondering if Scrubfresh is another type of nail sterilizer and what the ingredients are? Would this cause the same reaction?

I am so dedicated to nails and want to continue but i need to look for an alternative solution that will work well with Bio Sculpture gels.

Any ideas would be a great help. :lol:

The ingredients in Scrubfresh are: Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetone, Butyl Acetate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Butyparaben, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Triclosan, Blue 1 (C1 42090).

I hope your hands get better xx

When using Brisa Gel what is used to remove sticky residue from gel once cured? Is this scrubfresh or another solution?

Just a thought I use the plastic backed hands down pads, that way I don't come in contact with any solution be it enamel remover or scubresh..........they have a little flap you hold on to and will protect your fingers nicely !!!!
It keeps it all away from my little delicate (not) fingers..........and I don't have to wear gloves this way...............
You can get these from Designer Nails in Leeds
HTH

Hi Ruth

Are they lint free?

jacki said:
Hi Ruth

Are they lint free?
Oh yes babe absolutley, they are brill !!!!!!

Ohhh, fantastic, I will call them in the morning. Many thanks.
Another question if you can answer it. Why or what would cause this? Is it over exposure?

jacki said:
Ohhh, fantastic, I will call them in the morning. Many thanks.
Another question if you can answer it. Why or what would cause this? Is it over exposure?
Yes it sounds like it as your skin is reacting to the chemicals...........
After I have used anything at my station, even filing dust on my hands, I do clean my hands, I havn't always got time to run to the sink, so I use Baby wipes followed by cool blue hand sanitiser.........

Well if it is kind to baby's bottoms it has to be ok for my hands lol............

I always wash my hands after every client along with using a hand sanitiser infront of client.

However i will try the hands down wipes.

Just realised that i havent Creatives number!!! Do you have it?

Thanks and kind regards xxx

I use the baby wipes and cool blue during my service as well as after each client......just a thought.....................
the number for Leeds is 0113 275 5719 ...................

HTH

Thanks Ruth

Youve been very helpful. xx

Hello Jacki- I've had the same thing happen. I feel it's overexposure to the alchohol in the sanitizer (drying). I was wearing gloves for all my prep work but when doing the brush work, took them off. That left me exposed when wiping the sticky layer or my brushes along the way. Now I start with two gloves, do the brush work with one left on. No exposure, no more problems, no other products to try or buy.

Sharon

I could be wrong (because there is someone who will be allergic to everything; even water!!!) but my guess is that it's not the solvent but the sticky residue.

This residue is uncured gel (uncured due to the inhibition of oxygen on the surface) This is one if the most common allergens in nail products.

So, some suggestions: avoid getting this on the skin at all costs, when you are removing the sticky layer wipe from the cuticle towards the free edge (not the other way), fold the pad so a clean side only touches each nail, use a fresh wipe when you cannot fold it anymore, be scrupulous with your clients because any uncured gel will drop onto your hand while you are shaping the cured nail.

Hope this helps. My 'money' is on the gel not the solvent. There is no reason you will need to stop using it at the moment as long as you prevent all contact with it.

Hi Jacki

Did you know that Bio now make an additional Sanitizer/Cleanser which is suitable for sensitive skin ... give your area rep a call to find out more.

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure I heard that Bio have change the formula of their steriliser

We have ahd quite a lot of their clients call us about this problem.

Why not just call your distributor and ask them what is going on

If they have a new one for sensitive skin, this might help, but my guess is that it is over-exposure

Put the steriliser in a spray bottle - spray the clients hands and then wipe clean with lint free tissue

Our steriliser comes in a spray bottle - we spray (obviously!) and then use dry kitchen roll to wipe over & clean the nails (which we cut up into 6 pieces per sheet)
This way, WE are not touching the steriliser all the time and risking over-exposure.

hope this helps

regards
Gina

www.pronails.co.uk

Hi there

I was wondering is it their old steriliser or the new one which is green?

I still use the old one and not had any problems, but I believe they changed it to the green one because of problems.

Deb379

jacki said:
Hi all

I have been using Bio Sculpture for a whole year now and have recently noticed that I have a serious reaction to the 'Sterilizer' (the solution to clean the nail plate and to remove the sticky residue after curing the gel). It hardens the skin on my thumb, index and middle finger making them really tender :sad: and now they have gone a beetroot colour (only way of describing it!!)

I am at the moment using 'Germolene new skin' and a fingerbob along with a latex finger glove until they get better.

I really do not want to show my clients what has happened so I have said that I have slight exzcema on them and i need to protect them.

I havent been to see doc yet as he will probably tell me to where gloves all the time but i really do not like using them.:rolleyes:

The ingredients in the 'Sterilizer' is propyl alcohol, aqua, colours and fragrance.I was wondering if Scrubfresh is another type of nail sterilizer and what the ingredients are? Would this cause the same reaction?

I am so dedicated to nails and want to continue but i need to look for an alternative solution that will work well with Bio Sculpture gels.

Any ideas would be a great help. :lol:

one of our nail techs had that and when she went to the doctors the told her it was the nickel on the end of her brush she uses to gel with...try to wrap ur brush in finger wrap to cover nickel see if it improves

and ellisons....

sina is a good catalogue

Latest posts

Back