Bad reaction to wax.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ4281

Reaction score
I need some help or advice on what to do/use. Sorry if the photos are not permitted but unsure how to explain without photos but I've had intimate waxing done for 12 years and never had anything like this before. I had a wax done a few days ago and I've had a bad reaction to it, skin peeling, huge red rash. I always have coldish showers day after waxing, exfoliation I start doing after about 3 days post wax. My sac feels like leather.

What's gone on? I don't know what to do, go the doctors or what cream to get etc.

Can anyone help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum,

I have had to remove the photographs from the forum due to their explicit nature. Sorry but I had no option. With the utmost urgency you must get the photographs sent to your GP as soon as possible. Or try and get an urgent appointment today. Your description is good enough, I hope you understand.

It looks agony and truly an expert needs to prescribe some medication and/or cream to calm the area down. Don't be embarrassed they have seen many things and will help you.
Have you notified the waxing therapist to see if anything has changed in the products used?

Let us know how you go on, but you have my sympathy.

Welcome to the forum,

I have had to remove the photographs from the forum due to their explicit nature. Sorry but I had no option. With the utmost urgency you must get the photographs sent to your GP as soon as possible. Or try and get an urgent appointment today. Your description is good enough, I hope you understand.

It looks agony and truly an expert needs to prescribe some medication and/or cream to calm the area down. Don't be embarrassed they have seen many things and will help you.
Have you notified the waxing therapist to see if anything has changed in the products used?

Let us know how you go on, but you have my sympathy.
Ive contacted my GP and they won't allow me to send photos due to the type of photos they are. They'll only go off my description and they won't fit me in with a doctor to have a look neither. Oh don't worry I am not embarrassed, however it isn't too sore but the skin on my sac is very leathery feeling and tough.

I have contacted the salon which I have used a handful of times before but it was a different girl that did it and the one that did this wax was new to male intimate waxing but said the stuff they use has always been the same.

Hi again,
I am pleased you have been in contact with your GP and understand that there are limits as to what can be sent to them. However from your PM the cream prescribed should resolve the issue.
As I wax females only I have no experience in male intimate waxing sorry. However I do hope that others with the relevant experience will be able to help you.
You have mentioned to me you have not been poorly recently nor had covid, should anyone be thinking about it as a reason.

All the best.

Hi. I wax men and women.

Skin in the groin area is easily irritated and or damaged. There are 4 likely causes of post wax trauma and rashes. In no particular order the cause may be
1. Friction trauma from an inexperienced therapist who hasn’t managed to support the skin
2, heat trauma - it’s been hot and wax hasn’t been cooling on skin as fast as usual, so skin may become over stressed and develop prickly heat type rashes
3. You have an allergy to something used in the wax - maybe the wax, or the lotions
4. You have a bacterial or fungal infection
Or any combination of the above.

Treating the problem is straightforward: a mildly medicated cream; clean underwear and loose, breathable clothing; a good but not obsessive hygiene routine, including a freshly laundered bath towel each day and a daily light dusting of mildly medicated body powder to absorb perspiration and keep the skin dry.

Avoid activities that make your skin sweat until the skin is healed, wash your bed linen regularly and wear freshly laundered cotton boxer shorts to bed.

Don’t pick, scratch or constantly touch irritated areas.

You can make up a salt wash spray using a teaspoon of salt in 500ml of water, popped into a spray bottle and spritzed on to the skin once a day to speed recovery. The solution should taste like tears - barely salty. A salt wash is drying so don’t carry on spritzing for more than 7-10 days, (depending on how helpful you find it).

When the skin is healed swop your prescription cream for a mild body lotion. Don’t exfoliate until the skin is properly healed.

You should see a substantial improvement within 3 days. If not, refer back to your doctor. You may need a different cream in a few days time.

Try not to worry and make sure to tell your therapist you had a dreadful reaction both when you book your next wax and again in the treatment room. They might want to test patch an area to exclude product related sensitivity.

Latest posts

Back