Bad review re waxing - did i do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolci_Dolittle

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm after a bit of advice...

I had a client in yesterday for a full leg wax and basic bikini. Her the growth was a bit on the short side but i soldiered on and any stray hairs that were left after the wax i tweezed them. The client had quite coarse dark hair so this took ages (taking me to the nearly 2hr mark) I've never taken this long to do a full leg and bikini so this shook my confidence a bit.

I go home and last night at about 11pm I get two texts through - one from the girl who owns the salon (my landlord) and one from her mum (spray tan tech) both saying there had been a bad review put on the salons freeindex page and basically ordering me to sort it out.

I logged on and checked it out and the review wasn't from the girl that I had waxed, it was from her mum saying i had ripped the skin off her daughters legs and they were all bruised and sore and also about the length of time it took to do.

I responded saying that there was no signs of this during the treatment only the usual redness waxing causes and if her daughter had felt her legs to be that sore she should have said something to me before leaving the salon and that I had also discounted the treatment due to the time it took.

Did i do the right thing? This is the first time i've had a complaint like this since starting up on my own and also since starting waxing 3 years ago!!! I'm wanting to stick to my guns and not offer her a refund as i took up my time aswell as quite a bit of my cristal ocean pr wax.

Thanks

Lauren
xxx

Honestly I read so much on here about girls who are old enough to have treatments but have to have their mums to complain for them!

It was a bit much for the landlord to contact you so late at night.

Keep landlord and other therapist in the loop by sharing with them how you addressed it. I'm not a waxer but maybe you could ask to see the client and assess the bruises etc?

All the best!

I would definately want to see these bruises.
If she was happy to come in show you the so called damage and it turned out to be true I would perhaps offer a refund. However I would imagine they are exagerating.
As for the review that's a difficult one. You could ask them to remove it but I doubt they would.
If people come to me with hairs that are too short to wax I tell them. If they insist on the waxing that's fine however I will only go over each area once and if they choose to go home and tweezer it's up to them but I'm not plucking a whole leg one hair at a time........
As for your landlord. Tell them how you are trying to sort the problem and ask them if they would like you to take any other action.
Good luck.
xx

Now from the start you get this "sixth sense" of scam artists that try to kick up a fuss for discount, id take it as a experience and move on from it. In future give a waxing timeline, you'll know when you have to say i dont think her growth isnt ready or recommend laser!! Use the sales of goods act to your advantage, part refund or nothing on completed services if they have changed their mind. Nehoo missy stick to your guns! Hths Good luck xoxo

Just a thought about bad reviews ..... I think a bad review can be turned around and actually do the salon good! If a bad review is responded to and addressed in a good way, reflecting the good attitude of staff to situations, shows that you care and are interested enough to deal with situations as they inevitably arise. Of course we would prefer that these situations do not arise, but they do, so it is great to see that it is addressed. I would not necessarily take such a review as a negative and as I said, can be a positive. So chin up. You've done three years of waxing and this is the first such blip. :hug: Caroline x

I would definitely want to see what her legs look like. I would insist on her coming in to show you, if she has posted a bad review then she should be willing to show you what is wrong.

There have been increasing numbers of people on here with the same sort of story, girl has treatment, mum later complains. The most sensible thing to do, if you have a genuine complaint, is to come back to the salon and show it.

One of the problems of having Facebook pages or a website where clients can leave bad feedback is that anyone can use this to scam a refund.

You can't do anything without seeing this girl, then you can make a judgement! :cool:

I agree with 'mygorgeousbod'
I often read reviews about all manner of things on the net and I think 'whatever'!!!!!

I only take 'bad' reviews seriously when there's a constructive element to it, rather than them dissing it outright!

You see responses from the person/company and you can tell from that whether the service was bad or if it's for a scamming purpose!
If I saw a good reply I'd prob not be put off, so make sure your reply was good and amend it if you can/need to!

I'd not worry about it, you'll never please everyone so just take it on the chin and move on! :)

I agree with the others, when I read a bad review and the management have replied along the lines of "I am sorry you were not satisfied with your daughters treatment. We have many happy and loyal customers and want everyone to have a good experience with us. Please contact me personally on ******** and i will arrange for your daughter to come in and show me where she thinks there is a problem. I wish we could have resolved this at the time of the treatment as your daughter left satisfied with no visible bruising or skin removal. Your daughter was also given a discount even though the length of treatment was due to conditions beyond our control, which will be explained to you in private. I look forward to your call."

Then tell her about how the time was due to tweezing as daughter had hairs that were too short to wax.

Last edited:
Contact freeindex direct and tell them to remove it because a reviews on there site is effecting your business. The review being displayed on there site is causing you financial loss. Tell them its a friendly warning other wise legal action would be taken against them. The company i worked for before done it because it could turn potential clients away

I echo what has already been said by some geeks regards a postitive response to the bad review.

Let me give you an example; I know a hotel owner who owns a beautiful, well established and well managed hotel. I googled some of his hotels reviews, most of which were excellent and praise worthy, and then there were a few which were full of complaints and negative comments.

Fair enough, we don't all have a good experience, but the interesting thing was that the hotel owner commented to each and every complaint with a polite and constructive response... almost taking the wind out of the complainants sails so to speak eg. Complainant - "The trouser press in my room was not working which was so disappointing" followed by hotel owners response of, "Yes, but we did offer to have your shirt & trousers immediately pressed professionally by houskeeping at not cost to you and you declined".

Do you see where I'm going with this? If I were you, I would respond with something like, "Salon XX is sorry to hear that you were not happy with your treatment and would kindly ask you to return to the salon as soo as possible so that we can review the bruising and find a way to help you."

Then take it from there. If they do not return, then I do not feel you are duty bound to refund anything.

I really don't get this. Why complained on freeindex in the first place?

Whether you are the client or the mother of the client, wouldn't you contact the therapist directly and make a complaint? that way the therapist could explain what had happened, why did it took so long?

I hate people who complain about something to internet instead of addressing the issue with the therapist in the first place. To me, that's hiding behind the computer!

I always say to my clients, if they are happy with the treatment, sometimes again to make sure and if anything crops up, please call/text me and I'll do my best to sort it out.

I do agree with other posts though, turn something negative into a positive...(Mrs Clooney)'s a really good example..

Latest posts

Back