Bad supermarket shampoo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say what's causing this problem with your hands you should try a pro product but until you find out what ingredient is causing this reaction it's hard to recommend

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm a nail geek so popped a question in the consumer forum regarding my high st shampoo carving my fingers up.

So, out of the professional brands mentioned on this thread are they all going to refrain from making the skin on my fingers peel? I really need to buy some this week, but really cannot keep throwing money away at this problem, so would really appreciate a recommendation.
Penners was kind enough to answer my plea on my thread and suggested that they had heard good things about Pureology, so any more thoughts on this brand or another for my particular problem?

Have you spoke to your doctor to have an intolerance test? My old boss found she was allergic to almost everything but not drastically just slightly. You can explain shampoos are doing this and then they will test more that side of things. They do alsorts of tests xx then once you know what is most likely causing the issue you can find the best product to use x

Thanks, it's a general dislike of harsh products that I am funny with such as soap powders etc, so I don't want to make it out to be a big deal as it's just something that I find annoying. I put my Cuticle Eraser and Solar Oil on after which helps, but I would just like a less harsh shampoo.
My GP and I are not that well aquainted, as I'm a typical Nurse and think that I don't need to go and see her unless I am dying, so I think I may just buy some Pureology and see how I get on. :)

What ive been doing to get out of the washing every day cycle is rinsing my hair on the second day with cider vinegar and water, then giving it a spray of dry shampoo and then pinning it up. It makes you feel a bit cleaner and makes your hair shiny too, as well as balancing the ph of your scalp, because otherwise i get itchy from using dry shampoo on its own and my hair then feels gross as well. I cant wash my hair every day as even with pro products my scalp gets so dry and itchy. Going to switch brands soon though and see if it helps.

I bought an Osmo shampoo & conditioner on VAT free too after reading this and love it. I have got the intensive repair treatment too which I used to pile on to fix my hair when it was light, really recommend it x

Thanks, it's a general dislike of harsh products that I am funny with such as soap powders etc, so I don't want to make it out to be a big deal as it's just something that I find annoying. I put my Cuticle Eraser and Solar Oil on after which helps, but I would just like a less harsh shampoo.
My GP and I are not that well aquainted, as I'm a typical Nurse and think that I don't need to go and see her unless I am dying, so I think I may just buy some Pureology and see how I get on. :)

One of my clients is allergic to limonene which is found in alot of shampoos, bodywash, cleaning products. Her hands were bad and her eye (where her fringe was rubbing) she went to doctors and had loads of patch tests at once to see what reacted xx

Could anyone recommend something for dandruff. My daughter uses head and shoulders, but has to constantly dye her hair every month.
Now after reading through this thread, i know why. So any suggestions?

I suffer when I am stressed and the best ghing I have found is Philip Kingsley Itchy Flaky Shampoo followed by the appropriate conditioner.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have had a look on the Pureology website as a starting point to see if I can work out which one to choose. :eek: I could say yes to most things on their questionnaire which then gives me different outcomes! Oh how I wish I lived in civilisation so I could actually go into a salon that sold it!

I dont really like Osmo though but its true you get what you pay for!!! Is tresemme really a salon brand? xx

Tressemme was a salon brand back in the 90s. They were cheap but they were good especially their colour and 4+4 range. It was then taken over by Indola who i think were a swedish company at the time. It was then known as Tresseme Indola which was owned by Henckel who also own Swartzkopt and clynol. To raise the profile of the product line, they dropped the tresseme part and stuck with Indola. The tresseme name was sold to Alberto Culver but didn't give them the formulas. So the tresseme that you buy now are completely different to the ones of yesteryear. Only the name remains the same. xx

As a hairdresser and a therapist. Surely those of tours that are therapists/ technicians who are always on here saying people shouldnt be using non professional brands for nails and skin, should realise this is the same for hair !.
We recommend the beat skincare/nail treatments to treat or maintain the conditions of x y z. This is the same for hair, so when your reaching for your supermarket shampoo think, are you also reaching for that award winning wrinkle cream or 14day chip free polish aswell???.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You only get back from your hair what you put in to it.

Unfortunately there are also companies out there selling fake brand names so sometimes your customers are being ripped off but they think they are getting a good deal. I always say to my customers "would you go to skoda to buy a jaguar?" No because you want the real deal. Lots of my customers brag about buying GHD from the Internet then moaning because they have broken after a couple of months. Then when they contact GHD the serial numbers and hologram don't exist.
I also heard a phrase years ago when a top retail expect in our salon was advising her client, "we'll you can take pot luck, or you can take advice".

Ur hair looks blonde from ur pic u should try NAK Blonde plus it's an Australian brand it's made up of bio marine extract (a lot of natural ingredients) hands down the best blonde shamp/cond I have ever used. Best tone doesn't grab or become streaky doesn't dry out the hair it's the best u will love it, but it's a professional product so you can only get it in salons or online (eBay, online hair suppliers) its worth it tho and it isn't to badly priced either. I still use it and my hair is brown lol

Hello! I recently went on a website recommended by another board member and one of things mentioned on this website was how bad shampoo can be for your hair. I understand that the website owner made it a point to talk about shampoos that had sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate will essentially kill the hair, but what about the ones that don't have it in the shampoo? As comsumer allowed to use those w/o worrying? Thanks
Both of these sulphates are what removes dirt and buildup. And they're really good at doing that.

They're also what gives the shampoo the 'lather' effect.

However, they can strip the moisture from hair fibres, drying-out your hair, especially if you use them too often. If you have a sensitive scalp or do colour treatments, or have curly/coily hair, better to go with a sulphate-free product.

Just bear in mind that with a sulphate-free shampoo, you won't get as much soapy suds as you do with regular shampoos. So you may feel like you have to use a bit more to really "feel the clean."

Latest posts

Back