bad wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurafoulds9

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help? I have had to use a spare pot of wax until my new wax comes through (normally use a tea tree wax, nothing special, quite cheap, but is lovely to use). The stuff i have had to resort to isn't very nice to use. It's gloopy, sticky and the worse thing was, both my clients this morning had waxing done, a half leg and a back and shoulder wax, and the wax didn't remove the hairs from the root, it seemed to break off! Im sure this is what happened as I could still see the hair underneath the surface of the skin. Only ever had this problem with a lady who had used Veet on her legs for years. The hairs were so weak they just broke off at the surface. Am i doing something wrong or is this just a bad wax that I'm using? Can anyone recomend a wax for mens hair and/or coarse hair? Thanks,
Laura
The Therapy Studio - Beauty and Complementary Therapy - Southampton

Hi Laura! What type of wax was it that you used? It could be that it was old and a different consistency than what you're used to. I use honey wax for everything but if I have a particularly sensitive client I use pink cream wax ~ especially for facial waxing. The honey wax seems to get all those really tough hairs from mens back and shoulders. I wouldn't worry about it, these things happen and at least you are providing a solution ~ your new wax pot!!

A question for you ~ do you use fabric or paper strips?? I have always used fabric but recently have been asking people and they all seem to use paper and am wondering if there is something about paper strips that I'm missing out on????!!!!!! xx

Thanks so much for your reply!
Re; bad wax: my colleague gave me this wax along with a few other pots of tea tree wax, which i have been using and is really good. This particular wax is a different make tho, i think probably a cheapy one, it's just a creme wax. I just wondered if this was something that people had come against before. I can't wait for my new wax!!!

Re: Paper or strips: I use both depending on what I am doing. On facial work and eyebrows I use paper strips as I find them less messy - no annoying little bits of fabric. mostly i use fabric tho, i find that it is more pliable and moulds more easily to the shapes of the body. I also find i can go longer without changing strips during a wax, i find i am constantly replacing paper strips. I guess it is what I have got used to.

Laura

Hi, can anyone help? I have had to use a spare pot of wax until my new wax comes through (normally use a tea tree wax, nothing special, quite cheap, but is lovely to use). The stuff i have had to resort to isn't very nice to use. It's gloopy, sticky and the worse thing was, both my clients this morning had waxing done, a half leg and a back and shoulder wax, and the wax didn't remove the hairs from the root, it seemed to break off! Im sure this is what happened as I could still see the hair underneath the surface of the skin. Only ever had this problem with a lady who had used Veet on her legs for years. The hairs were so weak they just broke off at the surface. Am i doing something wrong or is this just a bad wax that I'm using? Can anyone recomend a wax for mens hair and/or coarse hair? Thanks,
Laura
The Therapy Studio - Beauty and Complementary Therapy - Southampton

I do think there are certainly different qualities of wax and that it can be blamed for an un successful treatment.
You may also have not had the temperature right if you had your pot set at the temperature you use for your usual wax.
Also maybe the hairs hadn't snapped but were just at different growth stages.
If you do a lot of male waxing, hot wax, especially the pliable wax might be the way to go.You would have to up your prices though.
Axioms the expert on male waxing and hot wax.

I think use of paper or cotton strips is just down to personal choice.I prefer cotton .My daughter just training finds them difficult to use as they flop and fold over, so wants some paper ones which they use at college.

Thanks guys! I use the fabric ones for everything and I prefer them cos as you both say, you can use them for longer before having to change them and they mould over the contours well. That's a good idea about using paper ones for the face though because the little fibres do fly everywhere when I cut them!
Do you both do brazillian/hollywood waxing?
xx

I do brazilian or i guess anything out of a thong, but not hollywoods although i have on friends ,but generally no.I havent done a course in intimate waxing so cant offer it and not sure i want to delve around in peoples nether regions too much:)

One of the other reasons i don't like paper strips is that they are noisier they sound like they are being ripped off im sure this makes people think it hurts more.

One of the other reasons i don't like paper strips is that they are noisier they sound like they are being ripped off im sure this makes people think it hurts more.

That's so true!!!! So you use the fabric strips for brazillian waxing? I do too and I do the same as you ~ never even attempted a hollywood though! Some people were saying to me that the paper strips are easier to do the hollywood waxing with though. Think I might try them and see how I get on but you're right ~ they are much noisier! xx

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice re: male waxing, ill try a few different things and see what happens!

I do intimate waxing. I did a course with my college. We learnt how to use the hot wax, but I must say i still do most of my brazilian with creme wax and then use the hot wax on the softer, fleshy areas if they want a very close brazilian or hollywood.

I trained with Hive for my intimate waxing. It was good, but nothing beats practice and I have learnt the hard way! Just by doing loads and loads of them. One day I had 5 in a row - cor blimey I was good by the end of the day! I don't use the method I was taught tho, have developed a much better way of doing a brazilian that means I can do it in 20 minutes! Its all about the stretching. If anyone wants more info, ill try and put it all into words for you!
xxx
Ps, have just had my first ever booking for make-up application, its only a bloke! they don't teach you that at beauty school! just about to post a new thread about that for advice! eek!

Hi Laura

I would be interested to hear your method for intimate waxing please?

Suzanne x

Hi all, sorry it took so long to reply. I would be more than happy to share my way of working, although it may be similar to what you already do.
I prepare as normal and get the client to have their leg out as is they were to sit cross legged. Ask them how much they would like removed.

Client participation is the key to the best wax so I advise that i will need their help stretching. I get them to stretch - one hand over the soft part and pull across away from you.

The other hand goes on the thigh and pulls towards you to create perfectly stretched skin for which to start on.

I use creme wax for a brazilian because it is quicker and a long as you get the client to stretch the skin properly you will not get any bruising.

I apply wax to all hair on any thigh hair and wax this first. I remove sections of about an inch or slightly more. You can remove this quite quickly.

Next I apply the wax to the coarser pubic hair, but I use my spatula like a pen and use just the tip to apply downwards in stripes covering one side of the triangle of pubic hair.

I apply my wax strip lengthways (as you applied your wax) starting from the outside. Firmly rub the strip and remove from the bottom up. I remove sections of 1 cm to an inch. Make sure your client is stretching their skin all the while. The application of wax and removal in this way ensures a clean line, and although you are not strictly working in the direction of the hair, it still works just the same. working this way ensures that you are not pulling the soft fleshy parts and brusing them.

For the underneath section just repeat the process, working vertically or at a slight angle. Some hairs may grow in slightly different directions so two applications may be required. All that is different is that they need to pull the labia upwards to get a good stretch. just repeat this on the other side and you're done.

I use cream wax because it is quicker and no-one want torture to go on longer than it should. I found a good wax after all, its the gold wax by Babyliss. its marvelous, haven't had to tweeze a hair yet!
Hope this helps.

Laura x

Latest posts

Back