Bad Workmanship or NSS?????????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
essexnails said:
Well I think you have some very good points but then some very bad and incorrect info. I have been looking into what way to start my career in nails. NVQ or Creative foundation class. Your comment that people who go to a collage only get there course paid for if they pass is very wrong. I have myself an hoping to get my course paid for by local funding and they will not only pay for my training should I go to a collage but also should I choose to train with creative. Yes people do walk away with an NVQ at the end of there course but they must complete the course. So tell me this is it possible to fail a creative foundation course ?. I have been told not,

Racism is a term that is always connected to peoples race or religion, however this is not the case and it seems there are a lot of remarks made by more that one person (yourself included) in this thread that could be considered as discrimination against all of the nail tech’s out there that are trained to NVQ standard.

If it is true that a majority of the NVQ tech’s are producing bad workmanship then surly it would be more constructive to work along side the people who write the course that to start complicating the industry even more with codes of practice that will not be universally recognised by all in the business as the NVQ isn’t by yourself and others.

This is just my very humble opinion and please don’t think that I am being argumentative

Okay, here's my 2 pennies worth!

I currently go to college and I see a class every week that is being taught in Beauty NVQ. They are meant to be in School, but are badly behaved and have therefore been sent to college instead of doing their GCSE's, so that they don't drop out of education all together!

Although I can see this as been a good idea, they don't have to pay, and they are barely been taught anything. The teacher sits there whilst the do nails on each other. They use a cheap product, and are not been taught correctly. This concerns me, as they may then go out and damage client's nails without even realising what they are doing is wrong.

I trained with Creative and I didn't fail. That is because they provide amazing training, they go through everything in depth and make everything easy to understand. I know of a person whose nails were not up to the standard she had hoped, which she was quite upset about. However, Samuel was one of the people who stuck by her, gave her confidence, and she even got a one-to-one. She has now passed the course, and her confidence is so much better.

Creative would not pass technicians who aren't sculpting good nails, they would just train them until they are at the right standard. That way they ensure that their product is being used correctly by high standard technicians. And they follow up the training once technicians have passed to ensure the standard is still high and we know all about new products and the latest designs etc. (Anybody correct me if I am wrong but this is what I believe to be true.)

Also we were taught to if neccessary wear masks to prevent dust inhilation, and goggles to protect our eyes, especially if you wear contact lenses. I myself wear gloves if I am dealing with product remover to protect my own nails.

I don't think you were saying anything bad about the above Herman, I just wanted to let you all know what I think. And I truly think that masks etc are their to protect the technician. It worries me to think that Clients would then think I am running a NSS. :|

Like I say, these are my opinions and if I have offended anybody then I am sorry and let me know.

Victoria x

Shropshiredawn said:
i have heard from a friend of mine that is doing a vtct in nail enhancements, i offered to be a model, on asking what date did she want me back for an infill, she looked blank and said " oh we dont have to do that"
icon_eek.gif

she also said that they were being SHOWN how to do gel/fibreglass/silk, they have no gel products but someone from a salon will go in and show them how its done, NO! she showed them how to do l&p.
will she be doing gel/fg? NO !
infills? NO!
does she know how to do a soak off? NO!
will she get a vtct in l&p/gel and fg, YES! but her assesments will be p&w/french tip/ tip & overlay, in l&p !
i asked her to ask the question to the tutor about this and the tutors reply was " well as long as we tell you how to do it thats all you need to know, no one will fail so whats your problem" while i am sure NOT all colleges are like this, the whole thing seems a sham, all i can say is thank god for creative training, because now i know i made the right decision NOT to go back to college and i can see now in comparison just how much i have learnt, these girls will be able to do clients with hardly any knowledge at all, i dont know who to feel sorry for the clients or the techs.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Found the above quote on a different thread

essexnails said:

If it is true that a majority of the NVQ tech’s are producing bad workmanship then surly it would be more constructive to work along side the people who write the course that to start complicating the industry even more with codes of practice that will not be universally recognised by all in the business as the NVQ isn’t by yourself and others.

This is just my very humble opinion and please don’t think that I am being argumentative
I sorry Essex Nails But i disagree it is important for professionals to have a code of ethics to work to and or a Code of Practice that covers professionalism, hygiene, and good relations with other personnel etc. with a Code of Ethics covers privacy, maintaining a clients dignity, and abiding to moral and social standards. The Federation of Holistic Therapists own Code of Practice was published on 2nd July 1962 that existed for 40 years - long before the NVQ was around so in my opinion it is just as important that a Nail Technician has a guide to help them work to whether you did the NVQ, VCTC or any othet manufacturers course.

I have been to more FE courses over the years then I care to remember and yes quality of tution standards varies greatly - and I doubt very much if this will change overnight - ONLY if students feel so strongly about their course to do something about it and I don't beleive if they passsed knowing the standard was to low they would complain and say sorry can you cancel my pass i'd rather resit or do the course again - that's just not going to happen.

With regards to colleges receiving monies for pass rates on clients - this is very much TRUE, I know of two senior tutors at state colleges and this is the case (either in beauty or any other course) and i would be interested to know why think this might not be the case?

I realy hope you find a course that suits you and if you come across what you feel are low standards of education you will be prepared to do something at the time officially of course...

As an NVQ assessor (not in beauty) can I add that the ethos of NVQ is ASSESSMENT. This differs from old style exams which failed you on the day if you were having a bad day.

Assessment is having the opportunity to demonstrate in different ways (with Creative: written, practical and teacher assessment), if you are up to scratch, fantastic you pass straight away. If you are not, some extra time and work is needed in order BY YOU to prove competence. Remember, we can't all make fantastic white sauce the first time around but it doesn't make us bad cooks, it proves to us that we need more practice!

The whole concept of assessment is that it is not perfect, but which system is - ask yourself, is it right that just because you need a hour or two of extra work, just because you didn't understand everything the first time: you have to re-do the whole course as you would do in old style exams?

My opinion is that assessments are great, you have to demonstrate that you CAN DO, you cannot 'pass' if you can't do! Old style exams rely on 40% ish being the pass mark In a very practical subject eg nails, surely we have to demonstate full competence.

I notice I have probably gone off thread entirely who which I apologise!

Regards
Cathy

The ANT are about to release their new code of practice, so lets wait and see!

As most of you know, i love my NVQ work, but i have to say, and dont be shocked, some techs who have it are ****! It depends on the trainer / assessor more than anything, which is quite a worry really???????????!!!!!!!!!

chocolate said:
The ANT are about to release their new code of practice, so lets wait and see!

As most of you know, i love my NVQ work, but i have to say, and dont be shocked, some techs who have it are ****! It depends on the trainer / assessor more than anything, which is quite a worry really???????????!!!!!!!!!

I also have to agree here. I have 3 vtcts in Manicure, Advanced Nails, and Nail art.
I have to say that my tutors were spot on, Many on my courses didnt pass.
There was strict uniform code, No Jewellery,and minium make up worn.
We at to pass the health and safety exam, Do lots of written assignments, do full sets in all systems and infills every 2 weeks.
We also ran the class as a salon , With a manager picked each week. We had to fill in a treatment cards for each client Etc............
I was very well trained, But do feel that there should be strict guidelines for some colleges and courses. Because if not we can be tarred with the same brush,
Which in my opinion isnt fair.

My other concern is that even if you have an NVQ, that means you did everything perfect in your assessments(?) but do you keep it up? I "surprised" or should i say shocked a salon recently by just turning up. Coffee cups, necklace, dirty towels, pumps not labelled, trainers, large earings, lid not on nail varnish bottle, do i need to continue???????????????????????

Rachel, I wholeheartedly agree. I like to do some training every year and last year I thought about doing the NVQ at my local college rather than travelling a larger distance to a SAC. We are always being told that an NVQ is an NVQ - it would satisfy the powers that be that I was of a standard if and when they brought in country wide licensing.

I went to the first day as a taster and met with the tutor - she did not use correct terminology - she kept talking about acrylic nails - and asked me to do a nail on her - I took out my tip box after prep and she said I did not do acrylic nails - what she meant was that I needed to do sculptured nails LOL. Tip and overlays to her were not acrylic nails LOL.

This was enough for me and I decided although the council might think I was of a standard because I had an NVQ I would not so I decided to do my CND Masters instead.

The only benefit to doing my NVQ instead of my Masters is that my insurance through ANT would have been cheaper LOL.

I look forward to seeing how this one pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back