Badly bitten nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacha21

Reaction score
all,

I qualified recently and a new client last week presented with extremely short, small, badly bitten nails. As they were too short to cap the free edge, I decided to try forms with a builder gel.

They were so short I struggled to get the form on but tried my best. Some 5 hours later and they were done but I wasn't happy at all with the finish. Predictably, and maybe due to my inexperience, they fell off within 2 days.

I'm embarrassed and gutted for my lovely client and have offered a full refund. She is keen to get any product on in order for her to stop biting. Is there anything I can do? I am trained in acrylic/extensions too but I think I would struggle to apply well on such small nails.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have found that bitten nails grow really fast due to the stimulation they receive.

If you just apply a patty-cake of product (no extension at all) and then see her every week for 3-4 weeks there should be enough free edge to be able to cap.

I’m sure you know that biters will bite anything that they can feel, so cuticle and skin surrounding the nail must be smooth.

I second just reinforcing the natural nail, no extensions. Wearing gel can be really helpful to break the habit of nibbling.

I have found that bitten nails grow really fast due to the stimulation they receive.

If you just apply a patty-cake of product (no extension at all) and then see her every week for 3-4 weeks there should be enough free edge to be able to cap.

I’m sure you know that biters will bite anything that they can feel, so cuticle and skin surrounding the nail must be smooth.

Thanks so much for your advice!

I second just reinforcing the natural nail, no extensions. Wearing gel can be really helpful to break the habit of nibbling.
Thanks so much for your advice!

Latest posts

Back