Badly damaged nails - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
Last night a young girl came to me for the first time. She had told me on the phone that she wanted a full set of sculpted nails and confirmed that her nails had been damaged at an NSS.

When she arrived I could see that there was no way I could do her nails. All 10 were very badly damaged and 4 nails actually had holes in the nail plate as big as petit pois exposing raw flesh. It was obvious that they had been drilled to bits and she said she had banged 2 and the nails came off.

I refused (as nicely as possible) to do them and suggested a course of manicures and regular application of solar oil. I also told her if any areas became inflamed to go to her Doctor straight away. She looked doubtful and I said that no reputable tech would work on her nails in this condition.

She finally accepted my decision and said she would come back when they had grown out.

Could I have done anymore ?

sounds to me like you gave her good advice, imo there is nothing more you could have done, except sell her some solar oil and book her in for manicures.
(which you may have already done).

Maybe you should have took some photo's to show how much damage these places can do!!! :eek:

I am so glad I live where there hasn't been an influx of NSS salons...

I am sure you were great with her...well done xxx

sounds to me like you gave her good advice, imo there is nothing more you could have done, except sell her some solar oil and book her in for manicures.
(which you may have already done).
I ried to book her for manicures but she declined and she already had solar oil Grrr

Maybe you should have took some photo's to show how much damage these places can do!!! :eek:

I am so glad I live where there hasn't been an influx of NSS salons...

I am sure you were great with her...well done xxx

I never have a camera handy when I want one. I am surrounded by these places, they are so cheap and a full set in 40 mins. It is an uphill struggle against these 'concrete nail' places:eek:

My nail ended up the same way a few months ago, I have had nails on for the last 5 yrs and it had never happened before. I went to a new salon to try and this is what happened. As it was my daughter had just qualified and noticed the problem , she was practicing on my nails. my daughter helped me get them back with the same advice using plenty oil and manacure. I now am able to have my nails done again and would not use anyone else again. I to have just qualified as a nail Technician.

What is an NSS and what does it stand for? Is it one of those Korean shops - sorry just being nosey.

If it is, i used to go to them before i trained as a tech and when i had my nails removed so we could practice on each other in class, i had the hugest grooves in my nails from where they had drilled so hard, and my nails were weak and sore. I'm very honest with clients though - if you want nails done cheaply go to those shops, if you want them treated well and done with quality, you have to come to a trained tech like us. So many people now go to these places - there 2 of them about a 3 minute drive from my house and another 3/4 a further 3 minute drive away. Thats what im up against!

Adele - you couldn't have done more hun, you were a very helpful and honest tech!

Never seen actual holes in the nail plate made by one of these places :eek::eek::eek:, jeepers!

Latest posts

Back