Balayage and tint in between

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmylou411

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a client that dyed her own hair with a box dye L’Oréal number 4. She also bleached the front pieces of her to try and achieve a Money piece- however , her natural colour is a base 6 but with the home dye it is very patchy everywhere! She wants a creamy blonde balayage. I am thinking it needs a colour all over to give me a nice even canvas to work on and then balayage, but I dont want to darken it down to make it hard for the bleach to work as she doesn’t want brassy tones so shall I foil it all where I want it and then tint inbetween and then do a root smudge at the basin after when I tone? Or tint all over first and then balayage? Also thinking to save time x

In
Hi all, I have a client that dyed her own hair with a box dye L’Oréal number 4. She also bleached the front pieces of her to try and achieve a Money piece- however , her natural colour is a base 6 but with the home dye it is very patchy everywhere! She wants a creamy blonde balayage. I am thinking it needs a colour all over to give me a nice even canvas to work on and then balayage, but I dont want to darken it down to make it hard for the bleach to work as she doesn’t want brassy tones so shall I foil it all where I want it and then tint inbetween and then do a root smudge at the basin after when I tone? Or tint all over first and then balayage? Also thinking to save timeI personally wouldn't apply another base colour b fire lightening.
1) because that's just adding another layer of colour to the already saturated parts and still only 1 later to the hair that hasn't covered.
2) because you're risking not achieving the level of lift you want
because of the extra layers of colour.
In an ideal situation I think I'd be looking at doing a colour remover first. This should bring out the colour she applied and leave you with a much more even base to start your lightening process on.

Also strand test!! Find a really patchy section and do a strand test with bleach and the developer strength you plan to use. This will give the best insight to what you're working with. If it lifts well and fairly even then you could probably get away with a lot of foils and be prescriptive about your placement and developer strengths to achieve the most even lift you can.
I would maybe try and manage her expectations and explain its not a straight forward situation.

In

1) because that's just adding another layer of colour to the already saturated parts and still only 1 later to the hair that hasn't covered.
2) because you're risking not achieving the level of lift you want
because of the extra layers of colour.
In an ideal situation I think I'd be looking at doing a colour remover first. This should bring out the colour she applied and leave you with a much more even base to start your lightening process on.

Also strand test!! Find a really patchy section and do a strand test with bleach and the developer strength you plan to use. This will give the best insight to what you're working with. If it lifts well and fairly even then you could probably get away with a lot of foils and be prescriptive about your placement and developer strengths to achieve the most even lift you can.
I would maybe try and manage her expectations and explain its not a straight forward situation.
Thanks for your reply, I still think even if I colour remove it, it is going to leave it patchy. It currently looks like there’s blobs and stripes where she missed areas. The colour has faded up now to maybe a 5/6 . Do you not think place my foils in and then go in and colour the hair left in between to cover the patchiness and then root smudge it to blend it together? Or colour all over with a semi first and then wash and do balayage?

Latest posts

Back