Balayage for a redhead-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amandal87

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a client who’s a natural red head and is wanting what’s in the photo. I was going to balayage bleach with 9% and a 9.3 tint as to keep quite golden. I’m a mobile hairdresser and just looking for reassurance will these colours achieve this?
A3D5CF0B-6491-408C-8304-22C477E52DE7.jpeg

Hi.
I have a client who’s a natural red head and is wanting what’s in the photo. I was going to balayage bleach with 9% and a 9.3 tint as to keep quite golden. I’m a mobile hairdresser and just looking for reassurance will these colours achieve this? View attachment 209083
Are you going to tone with the 9.3?

Should have said sorry leaving the roots natural not going to touch

I live in Ireland and have a lot of clients with naturally beautiful red hair. In my experience, red hair often doesn’t lift very well with just a tint mix, so it might be worthwhile doing a few strand tests first to check. I’d be more inclined to just use bleach then tone it afterwards.

Do you not think the 9.3 tint will give a nice lift/tone?

As the mother of 2 girls with red hair - both with rather gorgeous balayaged long hair - I would simply use 30 - 40 volume peroxide with a quality bleach (I use Blonde Studio 8
level lift by L’Oréal )
I would add OLAPLEX
Red hair does remain quite golden - but I like that... it works well with the rest of the hair

As the mother of 2 girls with red hair - both with rather gorgeous balayaged long hair - I would simply use 30 - 40 volume peroxide with a quality bleach (I use Blonde Studio 8
level lift by L’Oréal )
I would add OLAPLEX
Red hair does remain quite golden - but I like that... it works well with the rest of the hair
So u think just don’t use the tint just bleach? I’m only doing a scattered balayage she wants it natural looking

You won’t know unless you do some strand tests but I imagine it will end up looking more orange than golden.

AcidPerm is right. I hardly ever reach for tint on a redhead. I have red in my hair and can only get 1 level of lift with tint, even with a highlift. Let us know how the strand test goes.

I’m doing it tomorrow so will just hope for the best

Use 40 vol with good saturation, and be sure to keep it from drying out.
Do not use tint!

Agree with everyone above, bleach and tone is going to be most reliable. The only tint I would even consider using would be 10/0 +40vol. But then you may as well use bleach, because the 40vol will cause the same amount of damage anyway, and won't give as much lift.

Yes if you're doing it tomorrow definitely chuck the tint. Bleach and tone all the way.

Thanks everyone. I don’t have many toners to hand so will hope for a nice lift off the bleach.

Thanks everyone. I don’t have many toners to hand so will hope for a nice lift off the bleach.
What do you have as it probably won't be ok to leave raw?

Latest posts

Back