Balayage questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthair

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry for my English but I'm Italian

I'm here because I Have some doubts about balayage. Tomorrow I have my first balayage on very long hair and the client wants a very light blonde (almost white on the ends) and I never done a platinum blonde balayage, always brunette or medium blonde so here's my questions:

1- Is better balayaging while having roots color on or is better wash out the color and then balayage with dry hair? (The clients is switching from full head of foils to balayage so we need to cover highlights)

2- after balayage is necessary a darker touch up on the roots for a perfect blend between lighter and darker hair or the perfect blend becomes from a perfect technique with lightner and brush? (I want to achieve a perfect blend between blonde strands and darker roots)

3- tips and tricks to avoid blotches? I've never done blotches but I'm always scared about that

This is the result I want to achieve:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 52
It all depends on what the client has right now.
Usually I like to do the base and blend the bleach on the ends with it so it gives it a blended look.
But depending on the client and how light she wants it, it might take 2 times.

1- Is better balayaging while having roots color on or is better wash out the color and then balayage with dry hair? (The clients is switching from full head of foils to balayage so we need to cover highlights)

- balayage highlights will always be better on dry hair without colour on the roots. Firstly you can see the the hair natually falls/ partings and growth patterns, secondly the application is cleaner, and thirdly the root colour will affect the level of lift. The exeption is if you are blending colours into an ombre or placing the balayage not up to the scalp.

2- after balayage is necessary a darker touch up on the roots for a perfect blend between lighter and darker hair or the perfect blend becomes from a perfect technique with lightner and brush? (I want to achieve a perfect blend between blonde strands and darker roots)

- it depends on the base colour. You may need to add lowlights from the scalp to the midlengths (dont pull lowlights to the ends or use a lighter colour on the ends) you will need to look at the hair as see what it needs visually.

3- tips and tricks to avoid blotches? I've never done blotches but I'm always scared about that
- hold sections with tight tension, use a thick clay or paste lightener and take time to make sure the application is consistant and evan along the surface of the hair.

This is the result I want to achieve
- be realistic with what you can achieve with balayage. Balayage will NOT lift as high as foil highlights. If you look at the 'lived-in' colour trend, most of the looks are created with a tipping technique where small sections of hair are backcombed and lightener is applied in foils, feathered towards the scalp. The results are beautiful for a grown out look, when you need maximum lift.

Latest posts

Back