Balayage - techniques

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJSinger

Reaction score
Hi, just a general question to see what other hairdressers are doing! There are so many different techniques to balayage/root melt. I recently had mine done (finally) and I Noticed she done it differently to how I would but the result was pretty much the same. I usually go in with the balayage using a foilyage technique, I do some weaves, some slices and some backcomb weaves too. I then wash it off and apply the root melt and toner, and combing it all together so there is a nice even blend. I just prefer doing it that way so you can get a better blend. It just takes longer as I have to wash twice.
My Hairdresser done the foils, then in between those applied the root smudge whilst my foils were developing. I find that so fiddly and also a pain if any blonde ends are out of the foils and you might accidentally get dark on them when doing the root. My hair is quite short but on long thick hair I feel like that would be tricky?
She also said sometimes she applies the root first, then whilst that is processing she goes in with her balayage and she backcombs the hair that has the root tint on. That scares me because I would be worried about warmth and I Have never backcombed hair that has tint on it.

I am just curious as to what others do and any hints and tips? If I can save time great but I am also a perfectionist. And so far my clients are all very happy with their results :)

Latest posts

Back