Balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kreativehair

Reaction score
Hi geeks havent done many balayage atol.
But did it on a client today started at the back with 20 vol and top and sides with 30vol left on for 45 mins and cant say i was impressed with the lift from the bleach.
It was on top if a tinted base 6/7. Also felt it was slightly blobby.
How can i make it better next time?

When you're working freehand, even if you use cling film you still generally need to up your developer one level higher to get the same amount of lift, and working on top of tinted hair you would lose another level or two of lift so you might have needed to use 40 vol - you generally won't get the same amount of lift as foils so it's more difficult to achieve light ash blondes on darker/warmer bases.

If you start at the back I would use a stronger developer and rinse first or if you are using cling film, you can just take the cling film out the back once it is nearly ready so the lightener starts to dry naturally and slows down.

Patchiness is generally caused by using a product that is too runny or too thick or apply the colour unevenly (pushing it into the hair). You need to hold the section out smooth with plenty of tension so that you can sweep an even layer of lightener just over the surface of the hair. Also using a brush that is not too stiff but not too soft either, something with flexable bristles. Try leaving your brush in hot water for 5 mins before hand to make the bristles more flexable.

Definatly worth checking out some balayage courses if you are new to the technique.

Yes im actually hoping to get on a balayage course in dec wish it was now.
Also prob the more i do it the better it will come.

My poor mannequin head has had about 10 goes of balayage. I don't think she can take much more [emoji23]. I've just got myself a kaolin based lightner which feels very strange at first because it is thick and looks like it will never mix 1:1,5, but eventually It does and I'm just getting used to the consistency now. Don't paint to your stomach, stand at the side of the section you are painting so you naturally hold the brush on an angle, that really helps. Check out Candy Shaw she is the balay-lama, her YouTube is really useful, she owns Sunlights lightner.

Chris which one have you bought? I'm on the search for one

Yes im actually hoping to get on a balayage course in dec wish it was now.
Also prob the more i do it the better it will come.

I would start with your tint retouch clients, ask if they would like you to paint a few lighter pieces through whilst the roots are developing, it's an easy way to get lots of practice with painting the lightener on.

Chris which one have you bought? I'm on the search for one
L'oreal freehand lightner
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445500777.139911.jpg

Search out Guy Tang on fb and YouTube, his balayage is amazing

Do you guys literally use like food cling film? Or 'proper' salon stuff? X

I watch you tube videos i think itz all just practice, and yeah am i best putting a foil under each section save it blobbing other hair?

My poor mannequin head has had about 10 goes of balayage. I don't think she can take much more [emoji23]. I've just got myself a kaolin based lightner which feels very strange at first because it is thick and looks like it will never mix 1:1,5, but eventually It does and I'm just getting used to the consistency now. Don't paint to your stomach, stand at the side of the section you are painting so you naturally hold the brush on an angle, that really helps. Check out Candy Shaw she is the balay-lama, her YouTube is really useful, she owns Sunlights lightner.
haha balay lama! that made me LOL

Latest posts

Back