bank holiday - employees rights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsmith

Reaction score
Hi all

just wanted some advise - My girls work tuesday to saturday - I have gone on the government website to see what their entitlement is over bank holiday mondays and I cannot understand the jargon, basically do I by law have to give them extra days or what.

also is the standard amount of paid leave 24 days as i give my girls 28

Heidi

Hi Heidi, employment law is such a nightmare. However I think if they usually work on the day the bank holiday falls then you have to pay them or give them time off in lieu.

Call ACAS - they will be able to answer your questions. Their website or business link would help too

I think that you now have to give min of 24 days holiday, but this can include public holidays as you don't have to give paid holiday for bank or public holidays.

I give 20 days plus bank holidays so totals 28. For my staff who are working tues to sat, if it is a bank hol on the mon then they have the tuesday off so that they have a long weekend too. HTH :hug:

The current minimum holidays are 5 weeks per year, it went up from 4 weeks recently. This means that if your girls work 5 days a week, they are entitled to 25 days paid holidays per year. Bank holidays are not counted on top of this so if you pay holiday on these days, you take it out of the yearly entitlement. Of course, this is just the minimum, you can give bank holidays on top if you like. If you don't normally open on a monday, you wouldn't generally pay the bank holiday.

Holiday entitlement is due to go up to 6 weeks per year soon. I'm not sure if it's in September, but this is when things usually change. Minimum wage goes up again then too.

As Rosey said, if in doubt phone ACAS.

if they don't usually work these days, i don't think it makes a difference, make a phone call just to be sure. Mondays are a great day to close, merely because of this. I can never understand paying someone more when they produce less, but thats an owners point of view, employees love being paid for doing nothing:)

the min leave is 24 days which can include bank holidaysit increses to 28 days on 1/4/08you should work your part times staffs holidays out in hours to include bank holidays and then all the confusion is gone
have a look at the following website davidwrightpersonnel.co.uk

to clarify,there is no separate entitlement to bank holidays unless you give one through your contract

Latest posts

Back