Banned from using Lumos - Can you believe it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8nailz

Reaction score
That's right. I've been banned from using Lumos at my Nail Spa. Not because of the product but because our team leader wants everyone to be uniform in product brand usage...OPI. I love OPI, but once I began using Lumos base and top coats a little over a month ago, I don't want to use anything else. All because our team leader doesn't like change of any sort. She didn't even want to introduce Shellac to our menu, for Pete's sake!

I told my owner that all my clients' toenail polish was perfect after a month of wear. I showed him my 1 month old polish on my toes that has seen 3 trips to the beach and had just one tiny chip that just happened Friday. That long wear was all due to Lumos.

Fell on deaf ears....OPI polishes, OPI base and top coats only. The team leader had spoken. I'm so frustrated! :irked:

Aaaargh! Empty your OPI bottles and decant your Lumos into them!! lol Obviously you can't do that really but how frustrating, we use OPI in our salon too, but now I've started using Lumos I don't want to go back :(

Oh dear - maybe your team leader doesnt want your clients going 4 weeks between toe nail polishes so wants it to chip sooner LOL.

Our entire Salon/Spa has a team concept so I shouldn't be surprised that we were required to be uniform in our product brand usage. What frustrates me is that as team leader, ours isn't open to new ideas..she is so closed to any form of change. I gave her all the research and info on Lumos and she wouldn't even consider it. She's a 20 year old with complete autonomy over a 5-star nail spa. If she were a 20 year old who was open to new ideas and concepts...that would be a completely different story.

That's right. I've been banned from using Lumos at my Nail Spa. Not because of the product but because our team leader wants everyone to be uniform in product brand usage...OPI. I love OPI, but once I began using Lumos base and top coats a little over a month ago, I don't want to use anything else. All because our team leader doesn't like change of any sort. She didn't even want to introduce Shellac to our menu, for Pete's sake!

I told my owner that all my clients' toenail polish was perfect after a month of wear. I showed him my 1 month old polish on my toes that has seen 3 trips to the beach and had just one tiny chip that just happened Friday. That long wear was all due to Lumos.

Fell on deaf ears....OPI polishes, OPI base and top coats only. The team leader had spoken. I'm so frustrated! :irked:

Make sure you keep a record of how often and how many clients start to complain when their polish is all of a sudden chipping off a lot sooner than it was when you were using Lumos.
Cause I reckon they will see the difference and not be hay with it.
I could be wrong here but is it a matter of this team leader girl wants it to chip etc so the client must come back more often, which means more money in salons pocket???
If this is the case, that is NOT good customer care and she will loose money in the end if the clients decide to go elsewhere that will give them Lumos and a service that lasts.

I dont see why you need a team leader anyway, if you are all a team, then you should all be on par with one another and just have the salon/spa boss be the leader.

Good luck darl, don't give up if you feel it's for the best that you keep using Lumos, fight for what you believe is best for you, the spa and the clients.

Could you do your team leader's nails (& blindfold her) then do one hand with Lumos & one OPI & let her see the difference.

This is not a good financial time to try & get people to come back more often, a lot of people will be feeling the pinch & will be looking to get what they want to last as long as they can.
Get recognised for the longevity of your service & they will stay loyal to you when finances/times start getting harder- which they will!

I did a member of our front line Concierge staff's nails with Lumos. Her nails are amazing! It normally takes two weeks for her polish to chip with OPI. It took just over 3weeks for her polish to chip with Lumos. The answer was still NO. The team leader has the owner's ear and has the owner convinced that the best product to use is the one that goes with the polish line. Since we only use OPI polishes, she has the owner convinced we must use only OPI base and top coats....even with the evidence I presented of the Concierge staff member whose nails lasted a week longer with Lumos.

Maybe my Fellow Geeks are right...perhaps it is "planned obsolescence." They may not want polish to last too, too long.

Im sorry to hear this, you are clearly providing a great service using lumos base and top. I understand why your team leader would want to have clients coming back frequently. But what i dont get is why she would want this to happen because they are chipping or feeling as if the service isnt lasting well. I would prefer my clients to come back a little later but come back with great nails they feel happy about. Hmm like someone else said, maybe when she realises that clients and business are suffering, she might change her mind? Lets hope :( I guess for now, you just have to provide a great service with OPI and maybe advice your clients come in a little sooner if they are getting alot of chipping etc. But again, with the economy and clients feeling the pinch its not ideal. Can you go to the owner?

I. Can you go to the owner?

I spoke to our owner who is a wonderful guy. But our team leader has his ear and she is dead-set on keeping strictly OPI.

There's nothing else for it, you'll have to set up your own spa where you can be the decision maker! Just joking, but joking aside, it hardly seems like good business sense to not use the best product for the job.

I spoke to our owner who is a wonderful guy. But our team leader has his ear and she is dead-set on keeping strictly OPI.

Thats lame. I guess you will have to comply until the team leader realises she is hurting the business then. Shame really!

Latest posts

Back