Barbering tips, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in a raf base In Cambridge, where i was taught skin fades, low high fade, line up , working against the grain with the grain on Afro Caribbean hair! best tip is clipper over comb an as blue said once you can skin fade you can do pretty much anything clipper wise :) i prefer barbering , not so much military clients :( x

funny you should say that Lilly goose

when I done my recent trial I had an ex military guy wanting a number 1 on the sides quite high up and just scissor cut ontop! I was panacing about it. and couldn't get It as short as he wanted using my scissors on the top so I ended up clippering it with a 3!

fussy clients ex military maybe? lol

If your clippers aren't cutting properly check the voltage screw on the side, you turn the clippers on, turn the screw (clockwise I think) until the LOUD noise then turn it back until it runs quietly. There is an electromagnet inside which pulls the blade across then releases (all very quickly) if the voltage is slightly down (which randomly happens) the magnet won't pull the blade across enough and it will start pulling the hair instead of cutting - especially on longer hair.
hope this makes sense?

Just to add to this......if you drop ya clippers your F&@!?" :( and you need new ones x

funny you should say that Lilly goose

when I done my recent trial I had an ex military guy wanting a number 1 on the sides quite high up and just scissor cut ontop! I was panacing about it. and couldn't get It as short as he wanted using my scissors on the top so I ended up clippering it with a 3!

fussy clients ex military maybe? lol

very true married to one!! same haircut every 3 wks for 10 yrs, last 2 cuts he has agreed to the length on top a wee bit longer and i mean a wee bit!!

Fussy doesnt cut it

This is about year or so ago but on my first day there I got thrown into the deep end to do a high fade and he liked in faded down into skin and for it to take under 10 mins. Good American military, i left a visible (wasnt that confident in mens) line he came back and under strict rules I had to re-do it until it was perfect no flaws.

Learnt the hard way, but now its made me the perfectionist I am today!!

:D

Fussy doesnt cut it

This is about year or so ago but on my first day there I got thrown into the deep end to do a high fade and he liked in faded down into skin and for it to take under 10 mins. Good American military, i left a visible (wasnt that confident in mens) line he came back and under strict rules I had to re-do it until it was perfect no flaws.

Learnt the hard way, but now its made me the perfectionist I am today!!

:D

Oh wow!! Well done you, Think we all need some of this! It's defo an art!
I'm not perfect at doing this, but I give it a good crack... A lot better then I use to be :)

I find it easier to start with a 4 taking it quite high or as high as it needs to be, then go up with your 3, then 2, then 1, and 0 to blend in the hairline.
It's easier to blend a 4 into a cut then blend your 3 into the 4, then your 2 will just naturally blend into the 3 and so on.
Good luck, I used to hate clipper cutting and my then bf (now hubby) had some awful haircuts! All it takes is time and practice and you will get there!

im seein alot o folk who work up from bottom going 1 then up more with a two etc etc. . . i do the opposite, i clipper up s high as i feel i will be clippering with my longer number first, ie if the client wants an overall 3, but has a messy neckline, id clipper right up the back and sides with a three, then go back in with a 2 and then a 1 right round the hair line, i work much more cleanly this way and never get clipper demarkation. :) x

I do exactly the same as you and it works great for me :)

Other tips; I always start at the back too as I find it helps me get the sides more symetrical, also is there any refresher courses in your area that could help get you back into the swing of things? :) xxx

Hi, Charlene, You have been given stacks of advice which may help or confuse you. All this grade business is a bi of a cop out and if you can find someone able/willing to train you, then try to learn without grades. Google "Ustena clipper cut" for a brilliant Youtube video and notice how she demonstrates a short clipper cut both with and without grades
- Ustena much prefers not using guards. I think that you should go to a pretty grotty (unfashionable barber place) and offer to help out 2/3 days a week in return for training. Either this or pay for expensive training - the Waldorf is brilliant in Ireland and you can write to Linda. They are fantastic. "Total Barber" in this country, I do not know much about them but here is a definite that will help you: join British Barber Association and contact Mike - he is a brilliant trainer with his own barbr shops and he runs some great one day courses - do join BBA - it costs nothing and you can join on line. Regards, Anthony, Cornwall

Thank you again for the recent replies. Rather than pay for a training course I think I will volunteer somewhere to gain experience. I'm sure an extra pair of hands won't go a miss! I think I will join the BBA too. Thanks agin peeps x

Latest posts

Back