Barbering

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becki x

Reaction score
Nvq level 2 requires some barbering to be carried out but being as it's minimal it's not enough. It's not even a "like" of mine,but it would be easier if i could do my fella's.

They go to the barbers,and i hack at it when they get home anyway :D

Thing is i start,grade 2 clipper up to the ocipital bone,that's it,it's like a freeze and don't know what else to do :lol:

It always looks ok when i eventually finnish,but could be better.

Any advice,hin't or tips to get me through a gents cut would be much appreciated :hug:

Lmao,thanks Dee will take a look.

It's the blending,i just don't feel comfortable with,and the whole thing of square shaped cut for men,as opposed to round for women iykwim :D

Hi Becki.

What style are you doing? Is it the blending in that you are stuck with hun?
If you are doing a basic short back and sides for example:

1. Clipper up the back with the appropriate grade, depends what syle as how high you want to go, then same round the sides/ears.

2. If you are using scissors for the top, it will be just a short basic layered cut - cut the style that you are hoping to achieve, and blend the top in with the sides and back , either with scissor and comb method, or take the grade off the clippers and blend in using the comb and clippers. Samemethod if doing a spiky cut etc.

3. Make sure all the rounded corners that differentiate between the back/sides and the top, are blended.

4. Using scissors or the clippers without the grade to finish off round the ears and back neck/hairline.

Oh Becki I am rubbish at explaining cutting techniques.

I think its just confidence with gents hair. I used to do all the gents in the salon at one time.

Problem is with gents its precision cutting, and mistakes are easily spotted. At least with womens hair if you do cock up its easily disguised:lol: . Not that we ever do!!!!!!!!!!:Grope:

I hope this helps a little.
You can get some good barbering dvd's which may help.

Elaine xxxxxxxxxx:hug:

HI

Right to blend a clipper cut is really easy what you do is alter your blades:

On your clippers (depending on the brand) there should be a blade adjuster to open, semi, and close your blade.

Start with NO2 in the nape blade closed when you get to the occipital bone flip your blade open skim out.
Now NO3 with blade closed starting where you skimmed out up to where you want to stop and do the same again open your blade and skim out.

Does that make sense??

you can also blend with a barbering comb they are thicker at one end and thinner at the other, a little more skill needed with those though.

If you still have a shadowed area use some texturizing scissors very lightly and it should all blend in well.
Hope it helps xx

You have all been very helpfull,thankyou very much :hug:

:eek: i seem to be getting the hair bug again :lol:

Lmao,thanks Dee will take a look.

It's the blending,i just don't feel comfortable with,and the whole thing of square shaped cut for men,as opposed to round for women iykwim :D

Hi becki x , a lot of barbers finish off their blend line with a pair of thinning scissors , they will be one of your best friends I promise :hug: x

Hi becki x , a lot of barbers finish off their blend line with a pair of thinning scissors , they will be one of your best friends I promise :hug: x

i do this sometimes especially when a client asks for the blade on the back and sides and wants it blended in

Is u'r blending not working with scissors over comb, thinning shears just hide the fact that it is not blended.

Is u'r blending not working with scissors over comb, thinning shears just hide the fact that it is not blended.

If any tools that we may use helps us to blend in any harsh lines then its not hiding anything at all its simply blending the line away,
thinning scissors can be a really valuable tool and can help loads with taking away a blend line.

A lot of barbers blend in many different ways ,
Toni and guy only allow scissor over comb at first, (no electric shears )

sometimes we all have different cutting techniques to get the same end result

and if it looks just as good as each other
blended with scissors and then thinners I don't see it really matters
as long as the result is the same .

Some Barbers will agree with this and some will not.

I understand what you mean , because at barber college you have to get the blend line right with scissors over comb and clippers over comb first,

it all depends what works for yourself and what you are happy with :hug: x

I blend with scissors over comb, electric shears over comb,
plus thinning scissors over comb too ,
just depends on the hair :hug: x

Ps . tips for a square neckline,
is if you make it a teeny bit concave in the middle when the head is tilted forwards (bit like a half moon but up a little more in the middle)
then always stand back and take a few good looks at all angles to make sure its even ,

another tip is don't cut too deeply into the natural hairline with the T edgers or scissors , x

Last edited:
i use thinning sciisor quite a bit it helps especially when ur blending in and the hair is thick it just takes the weight out of it :)

@ Minky,
Sorry , I didn't mean to sound abrupt if that's the way I came across :hug:.

@ Minky,
Sorry , I didn't mean to sound abrupt if that's the way I came across :hug:.

Hi Pickles; oh noooo not at all ,:hug: its great that we all discuss these things on the forum ,
I have often worried about how I come across too,
awww no worries at all :hug: x

I am just jealous because you can do blend lines without using the thinning scissors .:green:
I mostly just cheat to save time LOL :lol: x

Latest posts

Back